Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2017 10:32:42 PM EDT
I have a Bermuda grass lawn. I also have a few other types of grass it seems, as well as some broadleaf(?) weeds. I have tried MSMA but it just turned everything brown, didn't kill the broad leaf, and the odd grasses came back.

Is there anything that will kill absolutely EVERYTHING except Bermuda grass? Preferably available at home depot or other common spots.

This was a better pic but I had to crop it down to an eighth of original size to hit 3mb. Hello 2017.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't particularly try to achieve a perfect lawn now that I live in the boonies, but I used to.

It takes a couple of years to get to where you want and there isn't a magic pill, especially now that the temps are getting up. Some of those weeds take multiple spraying to kill them.

MSMA will kill off some broadleaf weeds and many weed grasses and it can stun bermuda. 24d kills mainly broadleaf weeds. When the temps get above 80 and mix concentration is high, they both will kill or stun almost every plant....even some that are just nearby. Many commercial sprayers tend to use a lower concentration this time of year because of the risk of (temporarily) killing off someone's lawn by spraying the whole thing. Full concentration should only be used for spot spraying right now with the knowledge you'll have a brown spot for a few weeks.

The seeds for the annual weeds and the roots for the perennials are in your lawn already. Their seeds will blow there from your neighbor's yard and birds and animals will deposit seeds in your yard. They will always come back. All you can do is overwhelm them with constant force.

Starting in October, spread some pre-emergent on your yard. Most of it will wash away over the winter, but do it anyway. All winter and into March when the bermuda is still brown and dormant, spray Roundup (or whatever you like) on anything that is green. In early March, put down pre-emergent again. Now you have to be selective. When something green shows up that isn't bermuda, you'll need to spot spray it with either 24D or MSMA-type product depending on what type of weed it is. I say "MSMA-type" because MSMA isn't supposed to be used residentially now due to the arsenic in it.

Do this for a couple of seasons and you'll be where you want.

....or do like an old neighbor of mine would. He's spread 3x as much 13-13-13 on his yard as he should which would nearly kill off the whole thing in April. By June he had the best-looking lawn on the street.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I've decided the only way to get rid of nutsedge is to move.

I seriously HATE cutting the grass and weedeating.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Use Weed-be-gone type stuff containing 2-4 D for broadleaf weeds.

But it will not kill dallisgrass or nut grass.

MSMA kills dallisgrass (and St. Augustine and centipede).

Nothing that I have found kills nutgrass---not even Image that is labeled for nutgrass.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use Weed-be-gone type stuff containing 2-4 D for broadleaf weeds.

But it will not kill dallisgrass or nut grass.

MSMA kills dallisgrass (and St. Augustine and centipede).

Nothing that I have found kills nutgrass---not even Image that is labeled for nutgrass.
View Quote
Sedgehammer is the only thing I've found that will kill nutgrass.  I have patches of it that come up during different parts of the year.  I'm having a hard time getting rid of all of it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Nutsedge is a tuber and can regenerate from just a small tuber left in the ground.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nutsedge is a tuber and can regenerate from just a small tuber left in the ground.
View Quote
I guess my best option is to move.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Every square of St. Augustine sod I ever bought came with wild onions and nut grass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top