Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2017 8:50:03 AM EDT
It's looking more and more like social media is killing off the gunboards.

Ask Miker in a text and he feels locally it is. I think its broader than that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#1]
If you look at arfcom or other national forums,  they are still very active other than the hometown boards. When I'm looking to research something or get entertainment, there is more of it at a big national site than a small one.

MSGO used to be a busy forum, but many have left it to chat on Facebook pages. For many, Facebook is easier to use and quicker than a traditional internet message board and I find that there is more local real-time info on the FB pages.

It is a trend that extends beyond chat and into commerce. 5-10 years ago, a business MUST have a web page to be considered somewhat legitimate. Web pages are a pain to keep updated and then you get constantly criticized for the page looking cheap  or outdated or lacking functions that are readily available on Facebook, and there are always costs and upgrades that have to be managed. Expectations are that every website must function like Amazon or every chat board functions like arfcom or others. That isn't financially feasible for most businesses. A Facebook page is free, intuitive, and includes a ton of features right out of the gate.

Gen X and older consumers (that's me) often have a different set of expectations than Gen Y and Millennials. We are used to waiting for something and then we took it for what it was, knowing that eventually there would be updates, changes, or new information. The new phone book was a big deal, or you had to go to the grocery store to see a car magazine to get a glimpse of the new Mustang, or you had to go to the library (or find a knowledgeable person) to get your question answered, or you had to wait until Tuesday night to see the A-Team on a local broadcast channel. Not much different than when news came via the train or mailman 100+ years ago.

The younger generation wants it all now and they want to see change immediately. That isn't wrong, hell we made them that way because we wanted it too so we invented it.

No, I don't think FB killed the gunboards but it did stomp out a lot of the smaller local ones.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to frequent quite a few MS hunting/shooting boards but I don't fit in with most of them. Don't fit in well with most of y'all.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:50:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I was a member here back when it was a ongoing fight between ak47dotnet and us. Back when bandwidth was a big deal, boards might operate for a couple weeks and be down till the first of the month. Back on the old board as some say. Then it was like family. Miss you EricTheHun, and many others as well. Have some friendships that have lasted far past their participation on the gunboards.

I'm guilty and part of the problem. If I have a question about something I text the person I feel knows the answer. See, I stay 20 years behind on technology, there is probably 10 other ways, tweet's and so on.

Gone are the days, you could post a question, hit refresh and have an answer, not 20 posts of BS from people that have no clue what your talking about.

Maybe ufgator is right about fitting in. The demographics have changed so much leaving folks with that feeling.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the only forum I'm a member of, I've found that if I need an answer to something, someone can answer it with good solid knowledge. Problem is 20 other people think they can answer it. Just gotta sift through the BS. As far as facebook, I have one, but there is only one group I go to on there for serious questions. The rest is stupid cat videos and baby pictures
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#5]
When MSGO changed over, I had trouble logging on and just kind of lost interest.  Like Miker, I spend a lot more time on FB.  A lot of the reason is Cola Warrior.  I have so much more in common than the average Arfcommer now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Bad blood also accumulates on local boards at a higher ratio. MSGO has that issue where a lot of problem RSOs, range board members, and local asshats in general are people you may actually see every other day as well as on the forum. Makes me not want to post at all. Especially the concealed carry badge open carry in a Uncle Mike's $10 holster crowd.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the local boards much better as it feels a little closer to reality. For those of use that actually do stuff in real life, like meet up with friends, shoot guns and blow stuff up, local boards are more relevant. FB and other bigger outlets are more for those who exist in the ether. They talk a big game and have one hell of an Instagram account but that's about it. It all comes down to money and marketing. I market to actual people so I focus locally.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#8]
What are these friends things that you speak of?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the local boards much better as it feels a little closer to reality. For those of use that actually do stuff in real life, like meet up with friends, shoot guns and blow stuff up, local boards are more relevant. FB and other bigger outlets are more for those who exist in the ether. They talk a big game and have one hell of an Instagram account but that's about it. It all comes down to money and marketing. I market to actual people so I focus locally.
View Quote
You sure talk big for a guy that doesn't show up at pistol matches.

Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Wait, people actually go outside and do things and meet other people? I thought this was all for pretend.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You sure talk big for a guy that doesn't show up at pistol matches.

View Quote
Haha I am become Steel Challenge, destroyer of target stands.

You are lucky we didn't get squadded together today. I stayed up late last night working on my heckle game.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Haha I am become Steel Challenge, destroyer of target stands.

You are lucky we didn't get squadded together today. I stayed up late last night working on my heckle game.
View Quote
Glad you made it. Now I've got to stop sandbagging.

Edit : your heckles were on point.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#13]
@miker84

Scores are posted. Didn't know if you knew or not. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Cheater
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Dang, I didnt know I had ARFcommers shooting at my club yesterday.  If I had known, I would have come over.  I shoot on the skeet and trap fields on the weekends
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dang, I didnt know I had ARFcommers shooting at my club yesterday.  If I had known, I would have come over.  I shoot on the skeet and trap fields on the weekends
View Quote
Was something on fire over there?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:08:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Not over by me, but old target boards get burned behind one of the ranges over towards that side
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wait, people actually go outside and do things and meet other people? I thought this was all for pretend.  
View Quote
Hell sometimes we even meet up for lunch.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. It's about time for lunch again.  You around these days?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:38:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

. It's about time for lunch again.  You around these days?
View Quote
SOON!  

To borrow a phrase from our leader.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like you will be getting back when I'm shipping out....
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@miker84

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/323168/IMG-1549-207881.JPG
View Quote
Where was this match? I know Donny Summers quite well, I worked for him for several years when he owned a grocery store.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Where was this match? I know Donny Summers quite well, I worked for him for several years when he owned a grocery store.
View Quote
Como.

Yeah Donny moved back a few years ago. He can still shoot, obviously.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Guess I missed that invitation
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Como.

Yeah Donny moved back a few years ago. He can still shoot, obviously.
View Quote
I'd like to go back to that range in Como sometime, it's a bit of a drive for me but I really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@miker84

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/323168/IMG-1549-207881.JPG
View Quote
That's a pretty good score for old man Miker.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's a pretty good score for old man Miker.
View Quote
No more grape crayons for you!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Donny is the Steel Challenge coordinator for the DeSoto Rife & Pistol Club- located in Como (not DeSoto County).  

The range has SC once a month, and IDPA once a month.

You can get more info on the calendar on their website DeSoto Gun Range
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make the trip to the coast.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Donny is the Steel Challenge coordinator for the DeSoto Rife & Pistol Club- located in Como (not DeSoto County).  

The range has SC once a month, and IDPA once a month.

You can get more info on the calendar on their website DeSoto Gun Range
View Quote
I've been a member of that range for the last three years, but I didn't go up there one time this past year so I let my membership lapse. I've got a place on my in-laws land that I can shoot whatever I want whenever I want so I don't plan on re-joining. The main reason I joined that range was for the 600 yard range but I never bothered to qualify to shoot on it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've been a member of that range for the last three years, but I didn't go up there one time this past year so I let my membership lapse. I've got a place on my in-laws land that I can shoot whatever I want whenever I want so I don't plan on re-joining. The main reason I joined that range was for the 600 yard range but I never bothered to qualify to shoot on it.
View Quote
You can still come shoot pistol competitions without being a member.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:44:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
We work not far from each other.  Eat at the same place several times per week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top