Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2017 1:48:17 PM EDT
 I wasn't aware of it until a few minutes ago. A tornado hit sometime around 3:30-4 this morning, 4 deaths reported and looks like a lot of damage. Prayers for our friends in that area. 

http://www.wdam.com/story/34312675/death-toll-rises-to-4-after-tornadoes-rip-through-south-mississippi
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Also posted in GD.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1957304_.html&page=1&anc=64245618#i64245618

will repost what I posted in that thread here:

Hattiesburg MS resident right here. I live within a mile of Univ of Southern Miss' Campus.

Woke up to a severe weather alarm on my phone around 3am. Then calls from the university and local emergency services to seek shelter immediately. I grabbed the dogs and the one cat I could find and got into the bathroom.
Rain and wind was incredible, had some hail sprinkled in too. Warning for my area was from 3-4am, then upgraded until 4:30am, then finally to 5am. I left the bathroom several times to monitor the flooding, as our home is easily effected anytime we are under a flash-flood warning. Luckily I had dug an extra drain/trench in both the front and back yards last week to try and redirect water away from the home.

Co-workers and friends kept in touch throughout the tornado warnings from 3am to 5am. We heard there were touchdowns in petal, west hattiesburg, and downtown. William Carey University and Pinehills area took the worst of it. The university will likely have classes cancelled for the semester, if not longer. Some students were severely injured including a female soccer player who had her fingers amputated by a door slamming on them in a wind gust on campus. 4 dead so far. Several thousand without power still.

After the T-sirens ended, I was told we had a flash flood and then a flood watch in my local area until 8am, so I was up until about 7:15 when I finally saw the rain stop and the water levels in my backyard recede. We are supposed to have severe storms again tonight, but hopefully it is just limited to rain and thunder so I can get some sleep.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Prayers out to those affected.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#3]
My buddy just sent me alot of pictures and videos while he was out riding around looking at the damage. Slammed is an appropriate description. Hope everyone can make a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
They're saying we could get some thunderstorms and possible hail tonight around 10 in the North end of the state.  The areas South and West of here are under heightened alert for the same.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Got family there but they're fine. Prayers for those affected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top