Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2016 8:41:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems that Mississippi Code needs to specify a time by which guns must be returned to the legal owner when the owner is acquitted or not charged.

Currently, the time is open-ended and some have been forced to hire an attorney to get their guns back (or so I have heard).

I think 30 days should be sufficient.

This underlined sentence is where the change would need to be made:

------------------------------------------------------

§ 97-37-3. Deadly weapons; forfeiture of weapon; return upon dismissal or acquittal; confiscated firearms may be sold at auction; proceeds of sale used to purchase bulletproof vests for seizing law enforcement agency.

(1)  Any weapon used in violation of Section 97-37-1, or used in the commission of any other crime, shall be seized by the arresting officer, may be introduced in evidence, and in the event of a conviction, shall be ordered to be forfeited, and shall be disposed of as ordered by the court having jurisdiction of such offense. In the event of dismissal or acquittal of charges, such weapon shall be returned to the accused from whom it was seized.
----------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to see "within 30 calendar days of the dismissal or acquittal" added to that underlined sentence.

Thanks for all that you do, Nolo.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyway we can get Firearms Permit turned into Weapons Permit? That way we could carry switchblades, dirks, bowie knives and all that crap.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Lifetime firearms/weapon permit?

I mean considering you don't NEED a permit to carry open or concealed anymore, we shouldn't need to renew permits either?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Campus carry for students and employees would be great, but I would take employment/enrollment protection for faculty, staff, and students with firearms in vehicles on campus.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Campus carry for students and employees would be great, but I would take employment/enrollment protection for faculty, staff, and students with firearms in vehicles on campus.
View Quote

I like that one too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Legislature might not touch it, but something stopping Judge's orders that ban firearms from courthouses and attached/near buildings.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
This is either a request or me needing clarification...

As a part time student I would like to be able to carry in a college classroom with an IC.

As a part time EMT I would like to carry on emergency vehicles with an IC
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I need to get switchblades and auto knives unbanned.
View Quote

This is what I came to ask for.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I like that one too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like that one too.

This needs to happen.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's a good point. I have one of those types of cases now.
View Quote

This news article below by Rick Ward outlines a pretty good argument for putting a short time limit on returning guns to the rightful owner once charges are dropped or the person is acquitted.

Looks like some jurisdictions are ignoring the current requirement.

-----------------------------------------

City of Durant, MS Wants to Take Your Guns
July 27, 2016 7:32 PM
BY RICK WARD

They aren’t just looking to fill up their evidence room or worried about their safety over minor crimes not involving a weapon. They want to make you prove you own the weapon and then they still don’t want to give it back. Mississippi Law does not require you to have a bill of sale on a weapon you purchased from an individual. So they just want to steal your gun.

Just last week I testified before a joint House and Senate Committee on gun seizure and forfeiture. Under Mississippi law, guns are not to be auctioned off until a judge acts on each case and orders the guns forfeited individually.

I pointed out that almost 800 guns were sold at an auction recently and many of them had never even been brought to the judge because no charges were made. Hattiesburg Officers were taking guns from people with no charges at all and releasing them on the charges they were stopped for to include drugs and prior felony convictions. They made about $80,000 from their auction.

This Attorney General Opinion request from Durant Municipal Court Clerk clearly shows they want to take your guns for minor crimes. They didn’t say for possession of a concealed weapon that violates the law. A minor crime could be littering, failing to use a turn signal, speeding, etc. Lucky for us the AG said the weapon had to be used in a crime. (Please click on and read the 2 page opinion below.)

If they can’t get your guns to sell, they want to take cash bonds from you and keep the money even if you are found not guilty!

If they can’t get your guns and resell them, they want to run radar on the highway and get money from the radar tickets. You might want to boycott the City of Durant if you have any business there.

------------------------------------------

LINK
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This news article below by Rick Ward outlines a pretty good argument for putting a short time limit on returning guns to the rightful owner once charges are dropped or the person is acquitted.

BY RICK WARD

They aren’t just looking to fill up their evidence room or worried about their safety over minor crimes not involving a weapon. They want to make you prove you own the weapon and then they still don’t want to give it back. Mississippi Law does not require you to have a bill of sale on a weapon you purchased from an individual. So they just want to steal your gun.

Just last week I testified before a joint House and Senate Committee on gun seizure and forfeiture. Under Mississippi law, guns are not to be auctioned off until a judge acts on each case and orders the guns forfeited individually.

I pointed out that almost 800 guns were sold at an auction recently and many of them had never even been brought to the judge because no charges were made. Hattiesburg Officers were taking guns from people with no charges at all and releasing them on the charges they were stopped for to include drugs and prior felony convictions. They made about $80,000 from their auction.

This Attorney General Opinion request from Durant Municipal Court Clerk clearly shows they want to take your guns for minor crimes. They didn’t say for possession of a concealed weapon that violates the law. A minor crime could be littering, failing to use a turn signal, speeding, etc. Lucky for us the AG said the weapon had to be used in a crime. (Please click on and read the 2 page opinion below.)

If they can’t get your guns to sell, they want to take cash bonds from you and keep the money even if you are found not guilty!

If they can’t get your guns and resell them, they want to run radar on the highway and get money from the radar tickets. You might want to boycott the City of Durant if you have any business there.

LINK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BY RICK WARD

LINK

Jeez. Question number 3 is the awesomest. Keeping their bond when found not guilty.  "The data base won't let me post to it if they are found not guilty." .... AG response - "That is because you have to give their money back when they are not guilty, you freaking idiot."
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As a part time student I would like to be able to carry in a college classroom with an IC.

View Quote

As a student you can carry with an IC
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may be legal, but would be against policy so a student could be expelled.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#16]
The auto/switchblade law is really outdated.

Like the idea of lifetime permit as well. Seems it would be better on all MHP and citizens.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Jeez. Question number 3 is the awesomest. Keeping their bond when found not guilty.  "The data base won't let me post to it if they are found not guilty." .... AG response - "That is because you have to give their money back when they are not guilty, you freaking idiot."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

I thought he dodged question no. 1 too.  

The point of  the question was, "If a person, say, gets stopped for rolling through a stop sign or speeding, can his gun in the car be confiscated?"

Maybe that issue needs clarification by the Mississippi legislature, as well, Nolo:

----------------------------------------------------
1. Can the Department petition the Municipal Judge to confiscate any firearm in the case of a misdemeanor charge?

RESPONSE: A firearm may be confiscated if the weapon was used in the commission of a crime pursuant to Section 97-37-3 of the Mississippi Code and may be disposed of pursuant to that section:

(1) Any weapon used in violation of Section 97-37-1, of the Mississippi Code shall be seized by the arresting officer. may be introduced in evidence, and in the event of a conviction, shall be ordered to be forfeited, and shall be disposed of as ordered by the court having jurisdiction of such offense. In the event of dismissal or acquittal of charges, such weapon shall be returned to the accused from whom it was seized.

---------------------------------------------------

I think the clear and correct answer was, "No."

Section 97-37-1 only addresses "deadly weapons; carrying while concealed; use or attempt to use; penalties".

Section 97-37-1
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:24:02 AM EDT
[#18]

What is campus carry in Mississippi?

Does it apply to UMMC?

They have a written policy against carry, of any kind.  Is this valid? (specifically to employees)

If it is, can we get rid of it?
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Carry for state employees with IC. Especially those on duty but not in a state owned building. Also something that prevents the state from stepping around the CC laws by renting office space in a posted private building. Some clarification as far as concealed handguns during hunting would be nice as well. Something preventing a state agency, county, or munincipality from firing someone because they carry when not at work would be nice too. There are plenty of antigun managers in state government that would love to fire every person they found out had a ccw.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Please do.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Make it so the FPU doesn't require the passport photo on application and they instead take your picture when you apply.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Make it so the FPU doesn't require the passport photo on application and they instead take your picture when you apply.
View Quote
I just got an updated duplicate (address change) and they took my picture on the spot, so it's not like they can't do it.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even for mail in renewals you would think they could reuse the pic like online DL renewals
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Expansion of permit to include SBRs maybe?  I never found clarification on MSGO if CCW of an SBR ( in a bag or the like) was permitted or prohibited.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for employment/enrollment protection for employees and students with IC stickers. And enrollment/employment protection for those without IC stickers with weapons locked in their vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:31:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Expansion of permit to include SBRs maybe?  I never found clarification on MSGO if CCW of an SBR ( in a bag or the like) was permitted or prohibited.
View Quote
Loaded rifles are kinda tricky given how the hunting laws are worded. Not that you are going to be arrested for road hunting if you have a loaded sbr in the passenger compartment in Jackson, but it would be nice to fix it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Another vote for employment/enrollment protection for employees and students with IC stickers. And enrollment/employment protection for those without IC stickers with weapons locked in their vehicles.
View Quote

Nice first post!  Just moved from AR?  Welcome to MS!
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Even for mail in renewals you would think they could reuse the pic like online DL renewals
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just renewed mine and included a new passport photo. When I got it back in the mail the pic is the same as my DL.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Did some research on auto knives. Are they banned or not??? seems that the statute 97-37-1 just says you can't conceal it. But not actually banned. Hmmm.
View Quote

That is how I always understood it. Legal to own, illegal to conceal it.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did some research on auto knives. Are they banned or not??? seems that the statute 97-37-1 just says you can't conceal it. But not actually banned. Hmmm.

So if you walk around holding it in your hand its fine, but if you conceal it in a pocket its a crime? Makes sense
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, been here for just over a year now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoting myself, I hope I don't open up a black hole.  

Anyway, I was under the impression that university employees could be fired for having a firearm in their locked vehicle.  Am I wrong?  According to Mississippi 45-9-55:

Miss. Code Ann. § 45-9-55

MISSISSIPPI CODE of 1972

*** Current through the 2016 Regular and 1st and 2nd Extraordinary Sessions of the Legislature ***

TITLE 45.  PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER  
CHAPTER 9.  WEAPONS  
RESTRICTIONS UPON LOCAL REGULATION OF FIREARMS OR AMMUNITION

Miss. Code Ann. § 45-9-55  (2016)

§ 45-9-55. Employer not permitted to prohibit transportation or storage of firearms on employer property; exceptions; certain immunity for employer

(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2) of this section, a public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting a person from transporting or storing a firearm in a locked vehicle in any parking lot, parking garage, or other designated parking area.

(2) A private employer may prohibit an employee from transporting or storing a firearm in a vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees to which access is restricted or limited through the use of a gate, security station or other means of restricting or limiting general public access onto the property.

(3) This section shall not apply to vehicles owned or leased by an employer and used by the employee in the course of his business.

(4) This section does not authorize a person to transport or store a firearm on any premises where the possession of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law.

(5) A public or private employer shall not be liable in a civil action for damages resulting from or arising out of an occurrence involving the transportation, storage, possession or use of a firearm covered by this section.

According to this, in my understanding, a university employee with an IC permit would not get into trouble for having a firearm in their locked vehicle.  Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

For my own curiosity, is there an exemption for LEO/mil?  If not, I've been breaking that law for well over 10 years everyday.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

For my own curiosity, is there an exemption for LEO/mil?  If not, I've been breaking that law for well over 10 years everyday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think LEO and emergency services are allowed auto knives, lets see what the lawyer says.

Nolo to the service desk please.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just what I need, another expensive hobby. Would like to have one though
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Lifetime permit...like what TN just did.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Lifetime permits.
Unscrew the knife laws. Its really stupid that you can carry a handgun but not a certain knife.
If you can, slap those activists judges around.

Same wishes as everyone else I guess.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It has already been mentioned. I'm bumping this thread for great success!

Only anti gun bill so far is a ban on imitation firearms. Lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lifetime permit...like what TN just did.

It has already been mentioned. I'm bumping this thread for great success!

Only anti gun bill so far is a ban on imitation firearms. Lol.

If you're feeling lofty, the other thing TN passed allows someone under 21 who was in the military to obtain a handgun permit.

Link
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Clarification of hunting regs vs gun rights. Game Wardens are still nailing people for having a loaded rifle in their vehicle/4wheeler/on person.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ahem. We already have that
View Quote

I'll cop to not having read the renewal paperwork in 4 years.  I think I renew in May.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top