Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2017 6:54:09 PM EDT
Hello fellow AR owners,
I plan on moving back to Massachusetts within the coming weeks and have heard many contradicting answers about bringing my AR there. I have talked to many gun stores, a Massachusetts G.O.A.L. rep, and even a Massachusetts police department about doing so. I have been told you can't buy one but you can own one. Others say differently. I'm hoping one of you has done something similar when moving to Massachusetts. I don't want to have to sell my AR before. Hopefully one of you have any insight one this.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a lawyer but if you already owned an AR before Maura guideline (7/20/16) you shouldn't have any problems bringing it into the state. But you still need to neuter it down. No collapsible stock, flash hider, beyonete lug.

Also, apply for your license as soon as possible and bring in everything at once. Look into the EFA10 forms and what you need to register and not depending on how you do things.

Check out Northeastshooters.com for a lot more info to help you out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't need to register what you bring in, only what you buy here in the Commonwealth.  Join GOAL and take the basic course with Jon at GOAL for your LTC. 

What area are you moving to? If you are moving around the 495 hub houses start at $300k and go up from there quickly. If you have school age kids also look into the school system before deciding on a town to live in; we do have school choice so look into that also. 

Good luck and buy a snow blower. 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't need to register what you bring in, only what you buy here in the Commonwealth.  Join GOAL and take the basic course with Jon at GOAL for your LTC. 

What area are you moving to? If you are moving around the 495 hub houses start at $300k and go up from there quickly. If you have school age kids also look into the school system before deciding on a town to live in; we do have school choice so look into that also. 

Good luck and buy a snow blower. 
View Quote
That is not true. You legally have to register all firearms brought or bought in MA GOAL faq new resident
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is not true. You legally have to register all firearms brought or bought in MA GOAL faq new resident
View Quote
I'm not going to waste my time reading GOAL's legal stuff as I KNOW that some of it is very wrong, some is out-dated and at least one item can get you a felony conviction.

MGL does NOT require any registration of ANY guns brought into MA WHEN YOU MOVE IN WITH THEM! Only if you "go back and get them later" do you legally have to register them. PERIOD, ALL STOP!

Any guns obtained in any way after becoming a resident of MA requires registration within 7 days of the gun crossing the state line for the first time.

I teach Mass Gun Law in a 6+ hr seminar, it is my area of expertise (which I've been tracking/involved with since the mid-1970s). I am also an NRA Instructor as well as Mass State Police certified BFS (for obtaining your LTC) and LEOSA Instructor.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

MGL does NOT require any registration of ANY guns brought into MA WHEN YOU MOVE IN WITH THEM! Only if you "go back and get them later" do you legally have to register them. PERIOD, ALL STOP!

Any guns obtained in any way after becoming a resident of MA requires registration within 7 days of the gun crossing the state line for the first time.

I teach Mass Gun Law in a 6+ hr seminar, it is my area of expertise (which I've been tracking/involved with since the mid-1970s). I am also an NRA Instructor as well as Mass State Police certified BFS (for obtaining your LTC) and LEOSA Instructor.
View Quote
Thanks Len, that's why my post was worded the way it was because it all depends on when you bring them all into the state.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not going to waste my time reading GOAL's legal stuff as I KNOW that some of it is very wrong, some is out-dated and at least one item can get you a felony conviction.

View Quote
Then I'm glad I don't take your courses
MGL 140 131m
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
MGL 140 131m
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
MGL 140 131m
Personally I'm glad you don't too.

Again, please tell me where the words appear stating that all guns you bring in when you move to MA must be registered? Here's MGL C. 140 S. 131m that you linked. I'll wait . . .
Section 131M: Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment                        
Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.  
The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top