Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2016 1:36:31 PM EDT
A friend who lives in MA wants to order a flintlock, but they won't ship to MA. Is there any legal issue with me ordering it and letting him pick it up here in NH? I thought black powder guns were not restricted in MA anymore so no FFL or FA10 transfer is required for them down there.

Thanks for any replies!
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's probably like PSA, Aim, and BCM.  There is nothing wrong with direct shipping a muzzle loader to a MA resident.  But, companies either don't want to do the very little research, *cough*BCM*cough*, or just don't want to deal with MA in general.
View Quote

+1 on this. Just like owning a Bow really.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I thought it was fine, but wanted to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]
In MA, you only need to be 18 to buy and possess black powder guns or primitive arms.  No license is needed.

HOWEVER:
If it is a muzzleloader that requires certain items such as 209 primers of different "powders"  now you need a license. Not to own the gun itself but to purchase and possess the components. 209 primers are classified as an explosive and falls under ammunition requirements and depending on powder (i'm not positive here, just my .02) would also need a license. I'm not sure where pyrodex falls into this as far as powderes go.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
You need at least an FID to purchase powder (any kind) and percussion caps or 209 primers. You do not need an FID to possess them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need at least an FID to purchase powder (any kind) and percussion caps or 209 primers. You do not need an FID to possess them.
View Quote

A 209 primer would require an FID or LTC to possess. Remember, 209 primers are originally intended to be a primer for a conventional shotgun shell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top