Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2016 5:43:49 PM EDT
What kind of hoops do I need to jump through to get a Hunting License in MA?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to take the Basic Hunter Education Course first, then you can buy a license.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure you can take it online now. It is a pain in the ass to find a class in MA. If you find one jump on it because they fill up in a day or two.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Also keep in mind, this is only for your hunting license, if your going with a firearm you still need a LTC or FID card. I know, we're on a gun website but just saying.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need to take the Basic Hunter Education Course first, then you can buy a license.
View Quote

To clarify a little further, if an individual held a hunting license anywhere in North America issued prior to 2007, Massachusetts does not require a hunter safety course certificate. (If you use the online hunting  license system, they will have you complete a tick-box screen which constitutes an affidavit.

Additionally, for hunting/sporting license purposes, any states' basic hunter education course is acceptable. It does not have to be a Massachusetts course.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure you can take it online now. It is a pain in the ass to find a class in MA. If you find one jump on it because they fill up in a day or two.
View Quote

I can take the course online? I'm assuming no, and that you were referencing the hunting license application, but had to ask as that would be a lot easier for me.

The class is what's going to hold me back (I've never had a hunting license). Dumb question, are there any ways to get the license without taking the class?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
You have to take a class to get the license.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Looking for a class in November or December. MDFW in Westborough looks like the best option. That said, is anyone aware of any others that aren't listed on the mass.gov site?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#8]

In MA all are run by DFW and MUST be posted on their site. Problem is that most fill up just as soon as they post. HOWEVER, since it is free, ~25% or more don't show the first day/night so if you walk in your chance of getting a seat is almost assured.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top