Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2016 8:51:51 PM EDT

I'm assuming all FID compliant rifles? Garands, SKS rifles, what else?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a good question.  Healey's reinterpretation was rather vague, and left an open door to interpret again and again.  I have seen some shops refuse selling any semi auto, and some refuse to sell jus AR's, FAL's, and AK's.
View Quote

I blame that, in part, on some of the propaganda put out by the NRA and other national pro-gun organizations.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

To be fair, Healey was not at all exact on her directive.  And even left it open to more restrictions later on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a good question.  Healey's reinterpretation was rather vague, and left an open door to interpret again and again.  I have seen some shops refuse selling any semi auto, and some refuse to sell jus AR's, FAL's, and AK's.

I blame that, in part, on some of the propaganda put out by the NRA and other national pro-gun organizations.

To be fair, Healey was not at all exact on her directive.  And even left it open to more restrictions later on.

While she did leave the door open for reinterpretation she was much more specific than most people give her credit for.

For example, I saw one nationally respected source claim that all semi-automatic firearms were banned in Massachusetts because of Helaey's enforcement notice. That particular piece made specific reference to semi-automatic sporting shotguns and attempted claim that they operated like (banned models) on virtue of the fact that they are semi-automatic. We all know that the enforcement notice is much more specific than that. Moreover, if there was some ambiguity (which there is plenty of, though Healey was a little more specific than she has been on certain things in the past) they could say that instead of making broad statments that burn into peoples minds and have harmful effect. The reality is that their intent isn't to disseminate useful information when they make releases like that but rile up political spirits. That's why when California recently expanded its assault weapons ban some of the same national outlets were quick to say that California banned all semi-automatic rifles- -when those who were paying attention learned that was not the case.  

In fact, even despite the potential breadth of Healey's notice, there are certain semi-automatic rifles and shotguns which we know FOR FACT are not considered assault weapons, as defined.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I somewhat agree, but the way it is worded with similar actions, parts such as a bolt, bolt carrier, charging handle, detachable magazine. The problem is that it is so vague that she might say it's only ARs and AKs but it can potentially be more depending on the day and how they interpret it that day. It's left open to change at any given time.

It's also about more than guns, it's the AG stepping out of line and bypassing due process. There is no vote, there is no law, there are only threats to our law abiding citizens and dealers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
..........It's also about more than guns, it's the AG stepping out of line and bypassing due process. There is no vote, there is no law, there are only threats to our law abiding citizens and dealers.
View Quote

But unless I'm understanding this wrong, the AG didn't create a new law, she's just changing how she is interpreting and enforcing a current law.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of the bigger stores out there that are known not to take chances are selling M1A's and Mini-14 Tactical models. Basically seems to be non pistol grip semi's.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw this today... Don't know how true this is...

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/08/22/mass-ag-accidentally-un-bans-ar-15/

I hope this helps guys
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I saw this today... Don't know how true this is...

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/08/22/mass-ag-accidentally-un-bans-ar-15/

I hope this helps guys
View Quote

Nope, she reads NortheastShooters.com and modifies her "rules" almost daily. Look at the latest and it is only .22LR that she unbanned as of a few days ago.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
guidance and directives are not LAW
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Do we know if private sales/transfers are still okay?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]

No direct response that FTF is still "legal" per AG, but also no indications that she's gone after any individuals yet either.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just moved to MA from MI (where the firearms laws were very different)...Can I buy a complete AR upper from someone and have them ship it to me in Massachusetts? The way I understand it this is not a firearm without the lower, correct?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Many are scared of selling to MA folks, but yes perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Seems like other than M1A's/M14's and Mini's, we have Tavor's available as well. I'm assuming newer designs not included in the ban are good to go as well, like the PS90 and FS2000, etc., correct?
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's my understanding.  Although, they do not make a 10 round mag for the p90.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems like other than M1A's/M14's and Mini's, we have Tavor's available as well. I'm assuming newer designs not included in the ban are good to go as well, like the PS90 and FS2000, etc., correct?

That's my understanding.  Although, they do not make a 10 round mag for the p90.

They do
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen plenty of 10 round mags for the PS90
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Are pre-94 rifles still play to transfer in from out of state?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Are pre-94 rifles still play to transfer in from out of state?
View Quote

Per MGL, yes.

Per AG? Likely. She has said so a few times, but other times (radio show interviews in particular) she said basically nothing is legal.

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just moved to MA from MI (where the firearms laws were very different)...Can I buy a complete AR upper from someone and have them ship it to me in Massachusetts? The way I understand it this is not a firearm without the lower, correct?
View Quote

Yes...or you can buy a complete upper and have it shipped directly to yourself. Attaching that upper to a lower becomes a gray area.

Based on the AG's current (and likely wrong...though it'll probably cost $100k+ and several years to fight) interpretation, mounting an upper lower made after 1994 is a 10-years-in-prison felony.

If the upper has a threaded barrel, flash hider, or bayonet lug AND the lower has a pistol grip and removable magazine AND the lower was made after 1994, it's pretty much black-and-white illegal to assemble them.

Also, keep in mind that a "firearm" in MA law isn't what you think of as a firearm. Pistols and revolvers (not shoulder-fired) are considered "firearms" in MA. Rifles and shotguns (shoulder fired) are NOT considered "firearms", they are either "rifles" or "shotguns". Also, unless it's assembled and capable of firing, MA doesn't consider it to be a "firearm", "rifle", or "shotgun" (including lowers...though lowers are subject to federal rules).

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:20:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Tavor x95 is the best .223 rifle that can be bought new in ma. I also believe certain models of the vz58 should be legal too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top