Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2016 8:26:57 PM EDT
I know there is a 3 inch limit on concealed knife carry in RI from handle to tip.  It seems like open carry has no restrictions less double edge dagger or other banned weapon.  So is it OK to carry a 5 inch fixed blades on your belt as long as it's not being covered by a shirt etc?  Of course with no intent to use it as a weapon but as a tool etc.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
So just like Hillary if you have no intent you are cool. You can open carry any blade length for lawful purposes.

§ 11-47-42  Weapons other than firearms prohibited. – (a)(1) No person shall carry or possess or attempt to use against another any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slingshot, billy, sandclub, sandbag, metal knuckles, slap glove, bludgeon, stun-gun, or the so called "Kung-Fu" weapons.

(2) No person shall with intent to use unlawfully against another, carry or possess a crossbow, dagger, dirk, stiletto, sword-in-cane, bowie knife, or other similar weapon designed to cut and stab another.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]

(3) No person shall wear or carry concealed upon his person,
any of the above-mentioned instruments or weapons, or any razor, or knife of
any description having a blade of more than three (3) inches in length
measuring from the end of the handle where the blade is attached to the end of
the blade, or other weapon of like kind or description.
View Quote

"No person shall wear"

Any knife carried with a blade of more than 3 inches is considered illegal. Openly or concealed.

(don't shoot the messenger....I didn't write the statute)
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"No person shall wear"

Any knife carried with a blade of more than 3 inches is considered illegal. Openly or concealed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(3) No person shall wear or carry concealed upon his person,any of the above-mentioned instruments or weapons, or any razor, or knife ofany description having a blade of more than three (3) inches in lengthmeasuring from the end of the handle where the blade is attached to the end ofthe blade, or other weapon of like kind or description.

"No person shall wear"

"Wear or carry CONCEALED ..."

Aside from the exceptions - "blackjack, slingshot, billy, sandclub, sandbag, metal knuckles, slap glove, bludgeon, stun-gun, or the so called "Kung-Fu" weapons" ..

I take this as anything is legal to open carry - as long as you don't intend to use it against someone , and then it can't be "a crossbow, dagger, dirk, stiletto, sword-in-cane, bowie knife, or other similar weapon designed to cut and stab another" - otherwise you can kill someone with a steak knife , just not the previous ... and anything concealed needs to be less than 3" blade length - auto / manual folder or fixed blade.

§ 11-47-42  (a)(1) No person shall carry or possess or attempt to use against another any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slingshot, billy, sandclub, sandbag, metal knuckles, slap glove, bludgeon, stun-gun, or the so called "Kung-Fu" weapons.

(2) No person shall with intent to use unlawfully against another, carry or possess a crossbow, dagger, dirk, stiletto, sword-in-cane, bowie knife, or other similar weapon designed to cut and stab another.

(3) No person shall wear or carry concealed upon his person, any of the above-mentioned instruments or weapons, or any razor, or knife of any description having a blade of more than three (3) inches in length measuring from the end of the handle where the blade is attached to the end of the blade, or other weapon of like kind or description.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#4]
We (I work as a LEO in a large agency in the Providence metro area) arrest people for knives over 3 inches open carried frequently, but it is a gray area as far as the RI Supreme court is concerned.

Under State V. Conrad Johnson https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/1532595/state-v-johnson/

the RI Supreme court held that "The purpose of that provision is to protect the public from the peril of
the enumerated instruments or weapons when they are concealed about the
person. The Legislature under its constitutional power can in the
interest of public safety and welfare enact such legislation".  

Under US V Severns https://casetext.com/case/united-states-v-severns-1#idm140620768157952 it was the Governments position that "the statute bars both the wearing and the concealed carrying of such a large knife."  The judge went on to state "

The Rhode Island Supreme Court does not appear to have resolved this statutory section's interpretation,
but this Court declines to weigh in because whether the knife had to be
concealed is irrelevant to this Court's decision here. The United State
Supreme Court in Heien v. North Carolina held that even
if the police mistakenly determined that certain conduct violated a
statute, as long as the officers' view of the statute was not
unreasonable, the seizure was not unlawful under the Fourth Amendment.
135 S.Ct 530, 536-40 (2014). The Court finds that the search and arrest
was valid because, even if the troopers were mistaken about what kind of
conduct the statute covered, their interpretation of the statute was
not unreasonable, especially in light of the dearth of case law
discussing the specific interpretation of the statute at issue here.
Furthermore, any mistake resulting from that interpretation was also
reasonable under the circumstances.

Mr. Severns cites the case of State v. Johnson, 414 A.2d 477, 480
(R.I. 1980) for the proposition that the statute only prohibits
carrying a concealed knife. This Court does not read the Rhode Island
Supreme Court in Johnson to have definitively made such a determination. --------

View Quote
The
Rhode Island State Police troopers acted properly when they stopped the
car that Mr. Severns was driving in excess of the speed limit, ordered
him out of the car, patted him down, and searched the car after the pat
down revealed a large knife that the troopers knew or reasonably
believed he carried in violation of state law. His arrest was lawful and
the search and seizure did not violate the Fourth Amendment. Mr.
Severns' Motion to Suppress (ECF No. 18) is DENIED. "

The arrest of these guys began after they were arrested for open carrying knives greater than 3 inches. That search based upon the arrest for the knives led to the guns/drugs etc  http://warwickpost.com/troopers-arrest-four-motorcycle-gang-members-for-firearms-drug-possession/  

This guy gives a good synopsis of the law.

http://therhodeislandcriminaldefenselawyer.com/possession-of-a-weapon/

So my advice is to not carry a knife greater than three inches open or concealed.....unless you want to be the test case for the RI Supreme court.  99% of the time you will be fine as long as you aren't acting like an asshole or run across a cop with something to prove.

The Statute is clear when it says "Wear or carry concealed". If the Legislature only wished to prohibit concealed carry then they would have stated it is unalwful to carry concealed....but the put "Wear or carry concealed".  It is pretty clear.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

We (I work as a LEO in a large agency in the Providence metro area) arrest people for knives over 3 inches open carried frequently, but it is a gray area as far as the RI Supreme court is concerned.

Under State V. Conrad Johnson https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/1532595/state-v-johnson/

the RI Supreme court held that "The purpose of that provision is to protect the public from the peril of the enumerated instruments or weapons when they are concealed about the person. The Legislature under its constitutional power can in the interest of public safety and welfare enact such legislation".  

Under US V Severns https://casetext.com/case/united-states-v-severns-1#idm140620768157952 it was the Governments position that "the statute bars both the wearing and the concealed carrying of such a large knife."  The judge went on to state "
The Rhode Island State Police troopers acted properly when they stopped the car that Mr. Severns was driving in excess of the speed limit, ordered him out of the car, patted him down, and searched the car after the pat down revealed a large knife that the troopers knew or reasonably believed he carried in violation of state law. His arrest was lawful and the search and seizure did not violate the Fourth Amendment. Mr. Severns' Motion to Suppress (ECF No. 18) is DENIED. "
View All Quotes
Quoted:

the RI Supreme court held that "The purpose of that provision is to protect the public from the peril of the enumerated instruments or weapons when they are concealed about the person. The Legislature under its constitutional power can in the interest of public safety and welfare enact such legislation".  

The Rhode Island Supreme Court does not appear to have resolved this statutory section's interpretation, but this Court declines to weigh in because whether the knife had to be concealed is irrelevant to this Court's decision here. The United State Supreme Court in Heien v. North Carolina held that even if the police mistakenly determined that certain conduct violated a statute, as long as the officers' view of the statute was not unreasonable, the seizure was not unlawful under the Fourth Amendment. 135 S.Ct 530, 536-40 (2014). The Court finds that the search and arrest was valid because, even if the troopers were mistaken about what kind of conduct the statute covered, their interpretation of the statute was not unreasonable, especially in light of the dearth of case law discussing the specific interpretation of the statute at issue here. Furthermore, any mistake resulting from that interpretation was also reasonable under the circumstances.

Mr. Severns cites the case of State v. Johnson, 414 A.2d 477, 480 (R.I. 1980) for the proposition that the statute only prohibits carrying a concealed knife. This Court does not read the Rhode Island Supreme Court in Johnson to have definitively made such a determination. --------

The Rhode Island State Police troopers acted properly when they stopped the car that Mr. Severns was driving in excess of the speed limit, ordered him out of the car, patted him down, and searched the car after the pat down revealed a large knife that the troopers knew or reasonably believed he carried in violation of state law. His arrest was lawful and the search and seizure did not violate the Fourth Amendment. Mr. Severns' Motion to Suppress (ECF No. 18) is DENIED. "

The arrest of these guys began after they were arrested for open carrying knives greater than 3 inches. That search based upon the arrest for the knives led to the guns/drugs etc  http://warwickpost.com/troopers-arrest-four-motorcycle-gang-members-for-firearms-drug-possession/  

So my advice is to not carry a knife greater than three inches open or concealed.....unless you want to be the test case for the RI Supreme court.  99% of the time you will be fine as long as you aren't acting like an asshole or run across a cop with something to prove.

The Statute is clear when it says "Wear or carry concealed". If the Legislature only wished to prohibit concealed carry then they would have stated it is unalwful to carry concealed....but the put "Wear or carry concealed".  It is pretty clear.

So are you saying that you regularly see people open carrying knives more than 3" , not doing anything wrong or suspect of the same , and arrest them for the knife ?

Or they are found to have the knife after they did , or are suspect , of doing something wrong that would involve the use of the knife ?
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Rhode Island Supreme Court does not appear to have resolved this statutory section's interpretation, but this Court declines to weigh in because whether the knife had to be concealed is irrelevant to this Court's decision here. The United State Supreme Court in Heien v. North Carolina held that even if the police mistakenly determined that certain conduct violated a statute, as long as the officers' view of the statute was not unreasonable, the seizure was not unlawful under the Fourth Amendment. 135 S.Ct 530, 536-40 (2014). The Court finds that the search and arrest was valid because, even if the troopers were mistaken about what kind of conduct the statute covered, their interpretation of the statute was not unreasonable, especially in light of the dearth of case law discussing the specific interpretation of the statute at issue here. Furthermore, any mistake resulting from that interpretation was also reasonable under the circumstances.

Mr. Severns cites the case of State v. Johnson, 414 A.2d 477, 480 (R.I. 1980) for the proposition that the statute only prohibits carrying a concealed knife. This Court does not read the Rhode Island Supreme Court in Johnson to have definitively made such a determination. --------

I still think I take the term "Wear or carry concealed" as referring to a concealed knife - my thought is that is were to mean open or concealed it would need to be worded differently ...
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:So
are you saying that you regularly see people open carrying knives more
than 3" , not doing anything wrong or suspect of the same , and arrest
them for the knife ?   Or they are found to have the knife after they
did , or are suspect , of doing something wrong that would involve the
use of the knife ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:So
are you saying that you regularly see people open carrying knives more
than 3" , not doing anything wrong or suspect of the same , and arrest
them for the knife ?   Or they are found to have the knife after they
did , or are suspect , of doing something wrong that would involve the
use of the knife ?

I already told you 99% of the time you would probably be fine. Unless a cop is looking to arrest you, or you run across "that guy".

Quoted:I
still think I take the term "Wear or carry concealed" as referring to a
concealed knife - my thought is that is were to mean open or concealed
it would need to be worded differently ...
Take it however you want. I showed you that although it is a grey area that courts have ruled it was a lawful arrest, and evidence should not be suppressed, based upon an openly carried knife.  When judges interpret statutes they look at the plain language the statute provides. In my experience "Wear or carry concealed" are two separate things.

My legal advice is worth what you paid for it.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#9]
After wearing an esee 3 everyday for a decade I've only received one comment from a cop, who I knew and she was just giving me a hard time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

He's a good guy and the type of person you want as an LEO in your town.
View Quote
High praise my friend.

Thanks  

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So the Griptillian 551 Griptillian (3.2") I've been carrying here for the past 2 months is illegal? Awesome

And here I thought I was being responsible by not carrying my Benchmade AFOII Auto here.

Any carve-outs for mil/first-responders by chance?
View Quote
99% of the time you will be fine.  

Keep it in your pants and act like a normal civilized human and nobody will fuck with you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top