Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2016 7:32:36 PM EDT
I get along with granola crunchers pretty well but I hear Burlington is pretty much the Berkley of New England. Any ideas? Is the libness of Burlington exaggerated? How far would I have to commute? Suitability for young, single, conservative guy?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you want and how far you're wanting to commute. If you want some space you can go east of Burlington closer to the mountains and find "affordable" places with land. North gets you into "the islands" and the higher cost and population associated with that. South gets you into some expensive touristy towns. Good luck, let us know if you come!
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:34:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D6T] [#2]
I made the move in a similar situation, and have zero regrets.

What town will you be working in? What is your budget?

I initially moved to VT with two weeks' notice to report, so I was in a hurry. Gathered online listings, made appointments with a ton of landlords, then spent a 3-day weekend looking at places to rent. I ended up in Monkton with a 1600 square foot, two-bedroom, (strangely) three-bathroom house on a lake for $900 a month plus utilities. It was a little farther to work than I intended to be, but I loved it for the peace and quiet.

Conversely, I rented half of a house, probably less than 900 square feet, basically two rooms, each with its own floor, for $1100 plus utilities, in Jericho, and it was not nearly as peaceful and quiet as Monkton.

Seek and ye shall find, I guess that is the lesson I learned! I rented a few different places in different towns, then ended up buying when I decided to stay.

You will have no problem finding like-minded people, neighbors, and women. I knew I was in a good place when I noticed that all of the magazines in the break room at work are firearms-related, and soon found out that when you are stuck in a room with a stranger, the most common thing to do is strike up a conversation about guns, hunting, or high-horsepower vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I've accepted the position. I will be working in Burlington.

If I had to have a dream sheet, I would say my budget is 1000 and with a garage because I have a motorcycle and I'm worried about theft.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By retgarr:
I've accepted the position. I will be working in Burlington.

If I had to have a dream sheet, I would say my budget is 1000 and with a garage because I have a motorcycle and I'm worried about theft.
View Quote

You will be commuting an hour at least to find something like that.  Try up north in the St Albans or Highgate area, its more red neck and typically cheaper
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep in mind the interstate is your friend, BUT the back roads will get you there faster if you know how to use them.  My buddy lives in Fairfax and he can get to Burlington in less than an hour, its all about what side roads can get you there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top