Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2017 5:35:35 PM EDT
Wife and I MIGHT be going up to Acadia at the end of the month. . Would black flies be a problem at that time?. . . . 
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Being right on the coast probably not as much as inland
Some Deet based repellent is handy to have
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
We are going---May 20--27. . . Any decent public ranges nearby?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:32:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Maine military supply in brewer has an indoor range, neat store too. Its on your way assuming you come via bangor.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They will be terrible inland. Not sure but may not be as bad at the coast
View Quote
This.

Usually a decent breeze on the coast.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This.

Enjoy!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They will be terrible inland. Not sure but may not be as bad at the coast
This.

Enjoy!
I've been climbing every month of spring/summer/fall, and never noticed them. I read about the black fly problem before moving to Maine, and honestly, I just don't see it. The mosquitos in Atlanta were much, much worse. That said, I do stay coastal.

Maybe I'll have a different story to tell after climbing in Baxter this August.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've been climbing every month of spring/summer/fall, and never noticed them. I read about the black fly problem before moving to Maine, and honestly, I just don't see it. The mosquitos in Atlanta were much, much worse. That said, I do stay coastal.

Maybe I'll have a different story to tell after climbing in Baxter this August.
View Quote

They probably won't be bad in August. Right now on the other hand . September/ October is my favorite time of year for Baxter. Generally cool and dry.

I'm choking on them putting my garden in right now. (Admittedly, I live in borderline swampland in central ME.)
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Was on the ATV yesterday and the Black Flies were brutal! Had to keep moving for sure. Shapleigh to Kezar Falls area
View Quote
I will be cycling on the carriage roads and probably the loop road as well. . Generally don't like wind when I'm riding, but I guess in this case it will be better than the alternative. . .
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#10]
See it's 85* up there today!. . . Too bad it's not going to stay that way. . . Lucky to make 60* by Monday. . .
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]
----
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, we've been up here at week. . . had a very nice time. . . . rode about 3 times---twice on the carriage roads, and once on Rt 3 down through Otter Creek. . . . Town's a little. . . . well, seems like it's a victim of it's own success. . .

We drove over to the Southwest Harbor which we liked better--quieter, less touristy. . .

Anyway, the first time I rode in the carriage trails, the bugs were ok---as long as you kept moving. . .I stopped a couple of times and noticed them starting to move in on me. . . We went over to Schoonik as well. . . that's nice over there and the "loop road" seemed better for cycling (at least now) as it's not as busy or as long as the one in MDI. . . Drove up to the top of Cadillac Mountain---beautiful view up there, can't believe they had a Cadillac dealership up there back in the day. . . 

All in all, had a nice time, people were very nice in the shops and restaurants. . had some great meals. . . even did some laundry behind the Sunoco station. . .Woot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top