Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2014 8:16:11 AM EDT
Coming to East Blue HiIll for our Honeymoon.  We could not take one immediately due to job restrictions with travel, but we will be there for two weeks.  We are staying on a cottage right on the ocean.

What you can you tell me about Acadia? Whale watching? Lobster fishing? Is it crab catching or crab fishing or crab hunting? I made it through 4.5 years at Ohio State without catching crabs....

Any places we have to see? Any particular place sling some good drinks? Any good LGS's?

Hit me with all the info you have in regard to things for people to see and experience that are unique to the area.

We are both fit, slightly under 30, and love to experience whatever the local scene has to offer.

Any "best kept secrets" we need to know?
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

We are both fit, slightly under 30, and love to experience whatever the local scene has to offer.

Any "best kept secrets" we need to know?
View Quote

what, are you swingers?

some good gun shops near bangor (do a web search).bar harbour is close to blue hill and definitely worth a trip.

portland is a foodie town with lots of "old town" style clubs on the hill facing the harbour, but it's a bit of a drive.

maine is one big, mostly empty place. enjoy the peace and quiet.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice!

I grew up in East Blue Hill; my family currently owns a summer home in Blue Hill and I'll be there this weekend. It's a quiet, beautiful place.

Mount Desert Island (MDI) and Acadia are incredible. Starting in Hulls Cove at the main entrance to the park, take a drive out the Ocean Drive to Sand Beach and hike the trail around Great Head (yes, that's the real name). If you like challenging terrain, on the way to Sand Beach stop at the Precipice Trail parking lot, which is on the eastern side of Champlain Mountain. The Precipice route is a steep, technical trail - nothing else like it. The trail may be closed due to nesting Peregrine Falcons, but if it is there is usually a ranger there with a telescope so you can see them.

There are a hundred other things to do in the park:

- the Beehive, North and South Bubble (with a stop at Jordan Pond House for tea and popovers), and the North and South Ridge trails up Cadillac Mountain are a few of my favorite hikes.

- visit Thunder Hole, Anenome cave and Otter Point (all along the Ocean Drive, a one-way loop through most of Acadia)

- bike/horseback ride on the Carriage Trails. you can rent bikes anywhere, and Wildwood Stables does guided horseback trips.

- take a kayak tour, or a sunset cruise aboard the Mary Todd

-take a drive up Cadillac, watch the sun come up (first place in North America that you can see it), then Jordan's Restaurant and a stack of blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

-whale watching; it's early but they'll be spotting them, seal-watching or lobster boat cruise

- rock climbing; there are several local companies that will take you out for instruction or guiding

There are a lot of great places to eat. In Blue Hill try The Fish Net (local lobster/clam joint/dairy bar), Barncastle, or Arborvine (exceptional local fine dining; The Vinery/Deepwater Brewing is their brewery and is also awesome). Perry's Lobster Shack is a true ME lobster experience in East Blue Hill on Newbury Neck; they're probably opening this week.

Bar Harbor: hard to go wrong as there there are a hundred places, but I like Mache Bistro, Havana, Stewman's (waterfront lobster), Geddy's, Parkside, Paddy's (Irish pub), Cafe This Way, Thirsty Whale (local/biker bar) Side Street, Chart Room, Rupunui's and Lompoc. If you like local beer order anything from Bar Harbor Brewing (I like their Real Ale) or Atlantic Brewing (they also have an open brewery with tours in Town Hill). If you like ice cream (or chocolate, or candy of any kind) check out Ben's and Bill's - they make about 30 different flavors and everything is made in-house.

Good restaurants in the surrounding towns on MDI as well - Southwest Harbor and Northeast Harbor are great little towns.

If you're driving up through Maine to get to the BH/MDI area, spend a day or a night in Portland; as already mentioned, it's a foodie town. Go to The Grill Room, Zapoteca (Mexican), Ri Ra (authentic Irish pub) or Street and Co (seafood) for fantastic food and drinks. Try Novare Res for at least 100 different types of beer or In 'Finity for for beer and drinks (they brew unbelievable beer and distill their own spirits). Try The Front Room or Becky's Diner for breakfast.

There is really only one LGS, Willey's in Ellsworth, which is en route from Blue Hill to Bar harbor.

It's a very good time of the year to be visiting ME. The nights are cool, days are warming up, and the huge tourist crowds have not arrived yet. Have a great trip!
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Man! So much info.  So far, we have done most of what you have mentioned.  Acadia and all it has to offer is tomorrow.  We are getting up at 0300 to make it out there to Cadillac for the sunrise and then to get some grub.  Blueberry pancakes are def in our sights.

We went to Tinder Hearth tonight for pie.  I guess they only do it one night per week as it is usually just a bread/pastery bakery; let me tell you, I have had pie in 11 countries and this one that we just polished off tonight is THE BEST. I could not believe it.  I have been in search of the best pie since 2001, and I have finally found it

Going to get the pack all organized then its off to bed.  See ya at the summit.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Tinder Heart is not of this earth - love that place!

Hope that you're having a blast in MDI and Blue Hill. I was up there over the past weekend opening up our summer place and can't wait to get back.

Let me know how the rest of your trip goes, and enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I took my wife to Maine for our Honeymoon.  I took her shopping at Marden's.  You can't go to ME without doing that.  We went to a chainsaw show in Ellsworth, the Old Towne Canoe factory in Old Town, and Dysart's Truck Stop for breakfast.

I spent 4 years in Castine.  It is really pretty in the summer and the MMA campus will be very quiet.  The training ship is out for the summer, but you can probably check out the Bowdoin.  Numerous other windjammer cruises run out of the area, too, such as the Victory Chimes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top