Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/26/2017 12:31:15 PM EDT
Any news yet if this will be legal for us to buy?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Destructive device.

Not legal.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm out of the times.  What is the weapon?

disregard, seems this references the mossberg
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Destructive device.

Not legal.
View Quote
Is that the official word? Crap.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Destructive device.

Not legal.
It's NJ. You're lucky you are legally allowed to breathe oxygen.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's NJ. You're lucky you are legally allowed to breathe oxygen.
View Quote
Truth.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty sure there's been no official word - just speculation and conjecture here.

I don't see how it meets the definition of destructive device, as it is not capable of firing a projectile greater than .60 caliber that is NOT shotgun ammunition generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pretty sure there's been no official word - just speculation and conjecture here.

I don't see how it meets the definition of destructive device, as it is not capable of firing a projectile greater than .60 caliber that is NOT shotgun ammunition generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes.
View Quote
Stop with the reason, logic and accoutibilty
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stop with the reason, logic and accoutibilty
View Quote
You'd think by now I'd know better...  
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn shame. Thought the AG was suppose to rule on this.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Damn shame. Thought the AG was suppose to rule on this.
View Quote
They did.

ILLEGAL.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got off the phone with NJSP Firearms division. I was told by a detective that the AG has not yet made a decision. I was also told that dealers will receive an email when a decision has been reached. If in fact I get an email with the decision one way or the other you guys will be the first to know.

Liondog I hope this didn't violate any policy, just wanting to shed some truth up in here.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just got off the phone with NJSP Firearms division. I was told by a detective that the AG has not yet made a decision. I was also told that dealers will receive an email when a decision has been reached. If in fact I get an email with the decision one way or the other you guys will be the first to know.

Liondog I hope this didn't violate any policy, just wanting to shed some truth up in here.
View Quote
Assuming a favorable AG opinion, using an arm brace would be a NJ legal configuration:

Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's to hoping they're legal. But I don't have my hopes too high.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They did.
ILLEGAL.
View Quote
I missed this.  When was this decision?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They did.
ILLEGAL.
It wasn't. I'm just assuming they are and assuming they're going to be deemed too dangerous for us normal people. I'm being cynical. Not trying to start a fight.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, that's most likely enough to dissuade any NJ FFL from transferring one - but I would question the part about "except a shotgun or shotgun ammunition generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes".

While the Shockwave is not a shotgun, it IS designed to fire shotgun ammunition generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes.  To me, the "or shotgun ammunition" specifically EXEMPTS shotgun ammunition as qualifying a weapon as a destructive device.

This may be a case on my part of selective interpretation - or at the very least, interpreting a law in favor of something being legal - which is the wrong way to go about staying on this side of the graybar hotel.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one, but not in NJ.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Hrmmm....I could've sworn someone in this very thread said it was a Destructive Device. I just can't seem to find who said it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Nappen's interpretation raises more questions. Under his opinion all pistol grip only shotguns would be destructive devices since they are not designed to be fired from the shoulder. They have been sold in NJ for years.

His handgun interpretation would also mean things like mare's leg pistols are not handguns, which again have been sold as handguns in NJ for years. I would disagree in that all of these guns can be "fired" with one hand, it's cycling the action that requires two. Are all bolt action target handguns also not handguns under the law because you need a second hand to cycle the action?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#22]
You are spot on Matt. Nappen is not right. Again.

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got the email from NJSP. Shockwave is legal!Also Black Aces Tactical DT and the Remington TAC-14.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Who is going to be first?

I've got one in a shopping cart on PSA's website and my FFL chosen... All I need to do is go upstairs and get my credit card...

@BigRaccoon can you maybe post the letter here with all your info blacked out for us to read?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've got one in a shopping cart on PSA's website and my FFL chosen... All I need to do is go upstairs and get my credit card...
View Quote
I've read it's best to prepare crow over low heat, with a salt/pepper rub, to an internal temperature of 185°F

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@BigRaccoon can you maybe post the letter here with all your info blacked out for us to read?
View Quote
I was going to post it until I read the warning not to copy etc. Just hoping I didn't already break a rule. Could not keep this one to myself lol.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#27]
The letter also  stated that bump stocks and slide fire are not to be sold in NJ. Guess they cleared that up too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The letter also  stated that bump stocks and slide fire are not to be sold in NJ. Guess they cleared that up too.
View Quote
Well we already knew that was coming.

As for as the Shockwave I didn't get the usual, "THIS CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO YOUR STATE" warning when I put it in the cart on PSA. I didn't buy it because I'd like to know for sure if it's legal or not.

I have to drop some paperwork off to the NJSP this week for a change of address on my FPID so I'll ask the officer about it when I go.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did they provide any justification other than "because we said so"? I can understand them classifying it as a telescoping stock, but that just means it can only be used on semi auto rifles without a detachable mag.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Did they provide any justification other than "because we said so"? I can understand them classifying it as a telescoping stock, but that just means it can only be used on semi auto rifles without a detachable mag.
View Quote
No they did not. Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#31]
So now that they are legal in New Jersey, what is everyone thinking... a Mossberg Shockwave or Remington Tac 14 ?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#32]
This interesting nugget of info was also included in the letter:

The required State paperwork will include the Certificate Of Eligibility and not a Permit To Purchase A Handgun & Form Of Register. Firearms with similar design and structure must fall within this definition of a firearm and must not have been manufactured as a "shotgun" (NJSA 2C:39-1n) or meet the Federal requirement of "any other weapon (AOW)" which measures less then 26 inches in overall length. The firearm must also comply with all BATF requirements.
View Quote
That should mean AR style "firearms" over 26" OAL should be legal. Hilariously since they also are not "handguns" according to this letter (no permit to purchase required) the evil features list also wouldn't apply.

Something along the lines of this (arm brace, flash hider, and all) could potentially be legal in NJ:

Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So now that they are legal in New Jersey, what is everyone thinking... a Mossberg Shockwave or Remington Tac 14 ?
View Quote
Get both is always the correct answer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Already have one on order through my FFL
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I read in the letter that bump stocks were reviewed in 2011, and were not to be offered in NJ, and their stance has not changed...
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That should mean AR style "firearms" over 26" OAL should be legal. Hilariously since they also are not "handguns" according to this letter (no permit to purchase required) the evil features list also wouldn't apply.

Something along the lines of this (arm brace, flash hider, and all) could potentially be legal in NJ:

https://i.imgur.com/R6qMq7f.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The required State paperwork will include the Certificate Of Eligibility and not a Permit To Purchase A Handgun & Form Of Register. Firearms with similar design and structure must fall within this definition of a firearm and must not have been manufactured as a "shotgun" (NJSA 2C:39-1n) or meet the Federal requirement of "any other weapon (AOW)" which measures less then 26 inches in overall length. The firearm must also comply with all BATF requirements.

https://i.imgur.com/R6qMq7f.jpg
AR pistols are legal now?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Already have one on order through my FFL
View Quote
My wife just asked me if I wanted one. My reply was, "Hell yeah."

It's too bad it's been put on the back burner now, I just had to pay $3k to fix my driveway.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like the way you think. BUT, you gain nothing, as it can not have a stock. You can add an arm brace, but the barrel would need to be about 12".
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#39]
From Evan Nappen,

UPDATE:  An email was recently sent out to FFLs in New Jersey with a message from “THE NJSP FIREARMS INVESTIGATION UNIT.” It stated “…Mossberg Model 590 Shockwave, Black Aces Tactical DT and the Remington TAC-14. The New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigation Unit concurs with the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (BATF) that these pistol grip only designed firearms are legal for sale in the State of New Jersey as a firearm.”
?I respectfully believe the NJSP are wrong. See my article here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
From Evan Nappen,

UPDATE:  An email was recently sent out to FFLs in New Jersey with a message from “THE NJSP FIREARMS INVESTIGATION UNIT.” It stated “…Mossberg Model 590 Shockwave, Black Aces Tactical DT and the Remington TAC-14. The New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigation Unit concurs with the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (BATF) that these pistol grip only designed firearms are legal for sale in the State of New Jersey as a firearm.”
View Quote
I'm respectfully believe that Evan Nappen is a fucking idiot.

I need to pay down my credit card to buy one of these now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
SHOCKWAVE.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
From Evan Nappen,

View Quote
Nappen is a blowhard.. love to hear himself talk... and he is incorrect
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#43]
see above
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
From Evan Nappen,

View Quote
WTF? Just what we need. Who's side is he on?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've read it's best to prepare crow over low heat, with a salt/pepper rub, to an internal temperature of 185°F

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Tom488

Can you really blame me though? Everything cool and fun is usually illegal. But you're right, I prefer my crow to be extra crispy; like my bacon. It tastes better.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From Evan Nappen,

like I said.. this asswipe (NAPPEN) crows all the time "FREEDOM" but is the first one to say" The NJSP is wrong"  I had dealings with him before..HE IS A BLOWHARD!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
like I said.. this asswipe (NAPPEN) crows all the time "FREEDOM" but is the first one to say" The NJSP is wrong"  I had dealings with him before..HE IS A BLOWHARD!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From Evan Nappen,

Nappen is a lawyer tool.  He just wants your money when you get into trouble.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Can you really blame me though? Everything cool and fun is usually illegal. But you're right, I prefer my crow to be extra crispy; like my bacon. It tastes better.
View Quote
Nope, can't blame you at all.  I'm frankly a little shocked that the NJSP seems to have interpreted the law objectively.  Further surprised (and a little disappointed, frankly) that the guy who "wrote the book" on NJ Firearms law wants to push hard to make them illegal (or seems to, with his interpretation and the discounting of the part about firing shotgun ammunition with a sporting purpose).

But hey...  in three more months, damn near everything's going to be illegal, so what the hell, right?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nope, can't blame you at all.  I'm frankly a little shocked that the NJSP seems to have interpreted the law objectively.  Further surprised (and a little disappointed, frankly) that the guy who "wrote the book" on NJ Firearms law wants to push hard to make them illegal (or seems to, with his interpretation and the discounting of the part about firing shotgun ammunition with a sporting purpose).

But hey...  in three more months, damn near everything's going to be illegal, so what the hell, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't remind me. I just dropped my paperwork off with the NJSP to have the address changed on my FPID. I'm hoping to have my new card before that communist pos gets in so I can buy a Shockwave and a few more AR lowers. I was told it's a three week turn around and I'm hoping it's that or less. This same barracks took eight months to get my BIL is initial FPID.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#50]
So who's going to be the first in NJ to own a AWS Trench 12?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top