Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2016 6:20:14 PM EDT
I was fortunate enough to get some range time in this weekend and ended up at ... for about 45 min. The range officer came up to me on the line and struck up a convo about how much "everyone loves the SBR." I thought I corrected him when I said "don't you mean pistol?" But he showed me someone on the line who rented one of their 10 inch short barrel rifles. I saw it with my own eyes. It had a short barrel and a stock. He told me they are a class 3 dealer.

Here is my confused face

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Even class 3 dealers cannot possess a SBR here (technically a "sawed off shotgun" under NJ law).

You sure it wasn't a machinegun? dealers can have those
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Even class 3 dealers cannot possess a SBR here (technically a "sawed off shotgun" under NJ law).

You sure it wasn't a machinegun? dealers can have those
View Quote
Haha what!? Na I'm fairly certain. Unless the guy who was shooting it was a major pussy and wouldn't toss the giggle switch. The lineman specifically said "SBR" and insisted that it was legal and proper even after I corrected him.

ETA I was there for almost an hour and the guy renting the supposed SBR nearly the same amount of time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
SBR is illegal in NJ, no way no how.  Even the NJSP sent their new sbr AR's back for 16 inchers when who ever calls the shots found out.

ETA.  Odd now that I think about it.  I guess homeboy forgot that their Benellis have fourteen inch barrels.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Subsections a., b. and c. of N.J.S. 2C:39-5 do not apply to:

(2)A licensed dealer in firearms and his registered employees during the course of their normal business....
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(2)A licensed dealer in firearms and his registered employees during the course of their normal business....

Show me where in here it includes SBRs aka "sawed off shotguns" in NJ:

2C:39-5 Unlawful Possession of Weapons

a.Machine guns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession a machine gun or any instrument or device adaptable for use as a machine gun, without being licensed to do so as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-5, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

b.Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

c.Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're right you win.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#7]
So... perfectly legal then?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No

See my post above. Subsections a., b. and c. of N.J.S. 2C:39-5 are machine guns, handguns, rifles, and shotguns. That's why they can have machineguns. Nothing in there allows them to have "sawed off shotguns" (SBRs/SBSs under Federal law).

ETA: here is the administrative code that makes it very clear:

13:54-1.3 Firearm identification card or permit to purchase required
 (a) No person, other than a licensed or registered retail or wholesale dealer, shall receive, purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle,
shotgun or antique cannon, other than an antique rifle or shotgun, unless that person possesses and exhibits a valid
firearms purchaser identification card.  No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of a rifle, shotgun
or antique cannon to a person other than a licensed or registered retail or wholesale dealer unless the buyer or receiver
possesses and exhibits a valid firearms purchaser identification card.  No person shall sell or acquire a sawed-off shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
2C:39-1o defines the term:

"Sawed-off shotgun" means any shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length measured from the breech to the muzzle, or a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length measured from the breech to the muzzle, or any firearm made from a rifle or a shotgun, whether by alteration, or otherwise, if such firearm as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
View Quote

2C:39-3b - bans possession:

Any person who knowingly has in his possession any sawed-off shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.
View Quote

2C:39-9b - bans sale:

Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of any sawed-off shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.
View Quote

2C:58-3k - bans purchasing/acquiring:

Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize the purchase or possession of any sawed-off shotgun
View Quote

The only exceptions to any of the above are for LEO/military.  There are no exceptions for dealers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm.. your right, but obviously there must be some exception were not seeing.  They have been renting SBRs for over three years.  I think the first was a G21 in a RONI stock.  If it was illegal in NJ the ATF would not be approving their forms.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hmm.. your right, but obviously there must be some exception were not seeing.  They have been renting SBRs for over three years.  I think the first was a G21 in a RONI stock.  If it was illegal in NJ the ATF would not be approving their forms.
View Quote

Now I don't seem so crazy

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are likely manufacturing the SBRs themselves on a form 2. The examiners don't really know the ins and outs of every states laws, I'd bet Form 2s get little to no scrutiny beyond verifying the FFL number is valid and it's filled out correctly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Tack it.
PSA and all..
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess technically as an SOT you can register pretty much anything as a machinegun, maybe that's what they're doing? Still kind of a gray area at best under NJ law having a machinegun on paper that's not functionally a machinegun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I guess technically as an SOT you can register pretty much anything as a machinegun, maybe that's what they're doing? Still kind of a gray area at best under NJ law having a machinegun on paper that's not functionally a machinegun.
View Quote

Maybe they put in an M16 BCG?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top