Posted: 9/20/2016 11:15:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
No self protection for you!!!!

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Such a shame with what happened to Fair Lawn. They need to put up a giant wall on their Passaic River side (and another wall on Broadway) to keep out all the shitheads who walk over the bridge from Paterson.

My aunt lives right in that area, near Memorial Pool, and the last time I had dinner there a crackhead came to their door asking for money.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
so........

exactly WHY can we not execute these pieces of shit? there is NO reason for these fucking assholes to walk this earth.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
So what's the self-defense law or statute in NJ?

Can a homeowner shoot? Are you required to retreat?

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

basically required to retreat to the furthest corner of your house, even if they break into your house brandishing weapons and saying they're gonna kill you.

as i've heard before, better judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
basically required to retreat to the furthest corner of your house, even if they break into your house brandishing weapons and saying they're gonna kill you.
View Quote

Where do you get this from?

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't completely understand the law but basically the use of deadly force is legal when you cannot escape or in protection of someone else when both people can't escape. Pretty much in NJ you have to escape and if you can't flee then you can protect yourself.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
From 2C:3-4:

"The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily harm"

"The actor is not obliged to retreat from his dwelling, unless he was the initial aggressor"

"the use of force or deadly force upon or toward an intruder who is unlawfully in a dwelling is justifiable when the actor reasonably believes that the force is immediately necessary for the purpose of protecting himself or other persons in the dwelling against the use of unlawful force by the intruder on the present occasion"

"A reasonable belief exists when the actor, to protect himself or a third person, was in his own dwelling at the time of the offense or was privileged to be thereon and the encounter between the actor and intruder was sudden and unexpected, compelling the actor to act instantly and The actor reasonably believed that the intruder would inflict personal injury upon the actor or others in the dwelling; or the actor demanded that the intruder disarm, surrender or withdraw, and the intruder refused to do so"

"An actor employing protective force may estimate the necessity of using force when the force is used, without retreating, surrendering possession, withdrawing or doing any other act which he has no legal duty to do or abstaining from any lawful action"

Those are excerpts.  There's more to it, but it clearly demonstrates there is no legal requirement to retreat when inside your own home.  Outside the home is a different story.

But - unlike other states with actual "Castle Doctrine" laws, NJ's laws on the use of self-defense, as outlined above, are an affirmative defense to crimes of assault, aggravated assault, assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, etc.  Meaning - if someone breaks into your house and threatens you (or even if you just FEEL threatened), and you respond with force, up to and including deadly force, it's still possible that you can be charged with one or more crimes - then it's on you to prove that your illegal actions were justified under 2C:3-4.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nonsense, we basically have castle doctrine here in NJ.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#12]
my bad. the law is so fucking confusing in this state that i was going by "what i've heard". i heard that so many times from so many different people that i believed it was true.

it probably doesn't help that to me, legal documents and the like may as well be fucking written in japanese----i'd understand them about the same LOL.

thank you for enlightening me
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We do have a form of "Castle Doctrine" but nothing like most other states.
I believe that Sc0tt is correct when he says one  must retreat within your domicile prior to using your firearm in self defense.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I believe that Sc0tt is correct when he says one  must retreat within your domicile prior to using your firearm in self defense.
View Quote

Ummm....  did you read the parts of 2C:3-4 that I quoted?  Am I misinterpreting?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top