Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2016 3:15:56 PM EDT
My buddy has several handguns he wants to sell. I told him I'd be interested in buying some of them from him, ideally I'd like to buy all that he has but I'm not sure that's financially possible right now.

Anyway, what would need to be done to stay legal? I'm assuming I'd need to go to the local PD and secure three pistol permits; then I'd only be able to buy one a month. Do we then need to transfer them through an FFL?

For those who are going to ask, I'm looking at buying a Ruger 5032 Redhawk .45 LC/.45 ACP revolver, Sig Sauer P220 and a Colt Cobra. If all goes well I'll be buying all three but if I have to choose I'm torn between the Colt and the Ruger 5032.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

My buddy has several handguns he wants to sell. I told him I'd be interested in buying some of them from him, ideally I'd like to buy all that he has but I'm not sure that's financially possible right now.

Anyway, what would need to be done to stay legal? I'm assuming I'd need to go to the local PD and secure three pistol permits; then I'd only be able to buy one a month. Do we then need to transfer them through an FFL?

For those who are going to ask, I'm looking at buying a Ruger 5032 Redhawk .45 LC/.45 ACP revolver, Sig Sauer P220 and a Colt Cobra. If all goes well I'll be buying all three but if I have to choose I'm torn between the Colt and the Ruger 5032.
View Quote
Yes

Also, if you don't take the P220 I would be interested.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. It's frickin' stupid that I need to go wait for pistol permits.

Now I have get the wife on board with it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Lower left hand corner on the Permit to Purchase has a block for personal sale info. Seller's responsibility to forward the appropriate copies to State Police and issuing authority. Waiting for Tom to chime in.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks. It's frickin' stupid that I need to go wait for pistol permits.

Now I have get the wife on board with it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Lower left hand corner on the Permit to Purchase has a block for personal sale info. Seller's responsibility to forward the appropriate copies to State Police and issuing authority. Waiting for Tom to chime in.
View Quote
Still need a pistol permit for each one as well as an FFL transfer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured that. And yet, in America you can go into your LGS and buy as many handguns you'd like with no stupid permitting requirements.

Fuck New Jersey.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No - no FFL needed.  You can do a FTF transaction, as long as both buyer and seller are NJ residents.  One permit per transaction.

And, you can fill out and submit an SP-015, form to request exemption for multiple handgun purchases:
http://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-015.pdf
I haven't done so personally, but from what I hear, they're pretty accommodating when you have a legitimate reason (being a collector, and wanting to buy a collection of handguns that's being offered for sale is a valid reason).
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No - no FFL needed.  You can do a FTF transaction, as long as both buyer and seller are NJ residents.  One pemit per transaction.

And, you can fill out and submit an SP-015, form to request exemption for multiple handgun purchases:
I haven't done so personally, but from what I hear, they're pretty accommodating when you have a legitimate reason (being a collector, and wanting to buy a collection of handguns that's being offered for sale is a valid reason).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No - no FFL needed.  You can do a FTF transaction, as long as both buyer and seller are NJ residents.  One pemit per transaction.

Ok cool. I'm glad I don't need to go through an FFL.

I'm guessing I'd have to fill out the SP-015 before purchasing the guns from my friend?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No - no FFL needed.  You can do a FTF transaction, as long as both buyer and seller are NJ residents.  One permit per transaction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's amazing. Even in PA (a more free state) private pistol sales must go through an FFL.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm guessing I'd have to fill out the SP-015 before purchasing the guns from my friend?
View Quote

Correct - you need official permission to run around the OGAM law.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's amazing. Even in PA (a more free state) private pistol sales must go through an FFL.
View Quote

True - but you can decide at 9AM you want to buy your buddy's pistol, and have it in hand by 9:30AM that same day.

Handguns have to be transferred through an FFL in PA to maintain their State Police Record of Sales database - that is in NO WAY a form of handgun registration (because that would be against PA law), and in no way do they keep such Records of Sales beyond the statutory 72-hour timeframe (which would also be a violation of PA law).  But, because they crossed their fingers while telling the PA Supreme Court that it wasn't used as a registry, they got a pass....

...  and they continue to confiscate legally-owned firearms from those individuals they come across, where the handgun doesn't show up in their RoS database - and won't return it until the owner can offer up sufficient proof that they do, in fact, own the firearm.

So yeah...  not all sunshine and lollipops over there across the Delaware.  But still, a WORLD of difference from here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

True - but you can decide at 9AM you want to buy your buddy's pistol, and have it in hand by 9:30AM that same day.

Handguns have to be transferred through an FFL in PA to maintain their State Police Record of Sales database - that is in NO WAY a form of handgun registration (because that would be against PA law), and in no way do they keep such Records of Sales beyond the statutory 72-hour timeframe (which would also be a violation of PA law).  But, because they crossed their fingers while telling the PA Supreme Court that it wasn't used as a registry, they got a pass....

...  and they continue to confiscate legally-owned firearms from those individuals they come across, where the handgun doesn't show up in their RoS database - and won't return it until the owner can offer up sufficient proof that they do, in fact, own the firearm.

So yeah...  not all sunshine and lollipops over there across the Delaware.  But still, a WORLD of difference from here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess free is relative
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#13]
no ffl needed for FTF pistol transfer, just need the P2P from the local pd.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
no ffl needed for FTF pistol transfer, just need the P2P from the local pd.
View Quote

OK awesome. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top