Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2016 9:11:10 PM EDT
I'm helping a buddy build his first AR and we both currently live in Philly. Neither of us have a vice where we live now. He works over in NJ and has access to one at his work he is allowed to use.

Could we bring only the parts to build the upper receiver, no lower or lower parts, over from PA to NJ and build it there or does that somehow break NJ's gun laws?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes - nothing in NJ's laws would prevent someone from assembling an upper receiver, so long as you are not also in possession of a lower receiver.  It's the same lack of restriction that allows anyone in NJ to mail-order and receive a completed upper.

You could even assemble it with a threaded barrel and a flash suppressor - again, as long as you do not also possess a lower to attach it to, you would not be in possession of a combination of parts that could be assembled into an assault firearm.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes - nothing in NJ's laws would prevent someone from assembling an upper receiver, so long as you are not also in possession of a lower receiver.  It's the same lack of restriction that allows anyone in NJ to mail-order and receive a completed upper.

You could even assemble it with a threaded barrel and a flash suppressor - again, as long as you do not also possess a lower to attach it to, you would not be in possession of a combination of parts that could be assembled into an assault firearm.
View Quote

ok, that's what I figured but I wasn't sure because of their whole no flash hider thing
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

while this is absolutely correct, no officer in the state would want to hear it, or care, while standing there in front of you, especially in today's climate.  Maybe better off buying a vise from
harbor freight, could end up costing you a whole lot less than bail.....
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

while this is absolutely correct, no officer in the state would want to hear it, or care, while standing there in front of you, especially in today's climate.  Maybe better off buying a vise from
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I definitely agree. It's just we both live in apartments and don't have anywhere to properly install a strong enough vice to build the upper
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope that Im stating the obvious to you, but put it in the trunk there and back to avoid any bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I definitely agree. It's just we both live in apartments and don't have anywhere to properly install a strong enough vice to build the upper
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know they sell vice's that clamp to things, right? You could get a vice and then clamp it to a table. I have a little one clamped to my reloading bench that I've used to build rifles. My reloading bench is pretty light and isn't bolted to the wall or floor or anything.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd be willing to bet if you posted this in the Pa section, someone in Pa would let you use their tools.
jm.02
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You know they sell vice's that clamp to things, right? You could get a vice and then clamp it to a table. I have a little one clamped to my reloading bench that I've used to build rifles. My reloading bench is pretty light and isn't bolted to the wall or floor or anything.
View Quote
One time I bought a vice at harrbor freight to tighten a barrel nut and then returned it that night. I was living in an apartment and didnt have access to tools at the time

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One time I bought a vice at harrbor freight to tighten a barrel nut and then returned it that night. I was living in an apartment and didnt have access to tools at the time  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since I moved into the house I'm renting I have no where to set my tools up. I've taken my 4" vice that's supposed to bolt to a workbench and used "C"-clamps to attach it to my reloading bench and finished a rifle build that way. Then I got the little 2.5" vice that clamps to the reloading bench and have used that since.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Since I moved into the house I'm renting I have no where to set my tools up. I've taken my 4" vice that's supposed to bolt to a workbench and used "C"-clamps to attach it to my reloading bench and finished a rifle build that way. Then I got the little 2.5" vice that clamps to the reloading bench and have used that since.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw a picture on the web one time of a vice attached to one of those fold up wood working things. I cant describe it because I don't do tools good like Tom488.

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I saw a picture on the web one time of a vice attached to one of those fold up wood working things. I cant describe it because I don't do tools good like Tom488.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tom has some AWESOME tools.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tom has some AWESOME tools.
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqEjG47WGHM&t=1m54s

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#13]
You can get an HF vise & screw it to an HF sawhorse.
That would work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top