Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2016 4:58:36 PM EDT
Potentially moving to Jersey City for 4 years while my wife goes to school in the NYC area.  I understand there is a 15-rd limit and flash hiders/folding stocks are a no-go.  But are there any additional restrictions?  Do you have to register your "assault rifle"?  And does Jersey City have additional restrictions?

I have an AK-74 with a pinned muzzle brake and Glocks.  Just curious if they would be legal.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I've lived here all my life, I'm 52 yrs old.
I still dont know a lot of them.
Long story short, if it's on the NJ assault weapons list it's a NO GO.
Ar "type" rifles are OK. If it says "Colt AR-15" on it, it's evil. That goes for every rifle on the list.
If it's NOT on the list, it HAS TO have a muzzle break, comp Permanently attached.
No mags over 15 rounds.
No bayo lugs.
Telescoping/folding stocks...no.
Commute from Pennsyltuckie if at all possible. I'm serious.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf

You've got some serious googling to get to.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I can help.

DO NOT MOVE HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR ANY REASON. EVER.

You need to ask permission to own a gun. If you want to own a pistol you have to ask permission again. If you want to go to the range, hope you don't get pulled over. If you stop for gas or to piss or because you're hungry and you are on your way to or from the range YOU ARE A FELON.

In NJ you are a criminal for legally owning firearms. Fuck New Jersey.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can help.

DO NOT MOVE HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR ANY REASON. EVER.

You need to ask permission to own a gun. If you want to own a pistol you have to ask permission again. If you want to go to the range, hope you don't get pulled over. If you stop for gas or to piss or because you're hungry and you are on your way to or from the range YOU ARE A FELON.

In NJ you are a criminal for legally owning firearms. Fuck New Jersey.
View Quote

This

Child molesters are looked upon better than gun owners in this state.

Most people don't know the laws. None of the cops do. If you are pulled over and you have a gun, you are arrested and jailed. Whether it's legal or not.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#4]
To add to what I said, if the entire world was being destroyed by hot lava and the only place on the planet that was safe was New Jersey I would build a house of wood in the hot lava and live there until I was burned alive.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ar "type" rifles are OK. If it says "Colt AR-15" on it, it's evil. That goes for every rifle on the list.
If it's NOT on the list, it HAS TO have a muzzle break, comp Permanently attached.
No mags over 15 rounds.
No bayo lugs.

View Quote

What baffles me is that it says "no avtomat kalashnikov".  My AK doesn't say "AK-47" anywhere.  I've heard of NJ-legal AK's being shipped to NJ (see KVAR for example).  

When you say AR type rifles are OK, does that mean you have to get permission to own it?  Or just buy one?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What baffles me is that it says "no avtomat kalashnikov".  My AK doesn't say "AK-47" anywhere.  I've heard of NJ-legal AK's being shipped to NJ (see KVAR for example).  

When you say AR type rifles are OK, does that mean you have to get permission to own it?  Or just buy one?
View Quote

I'll try and cut through much of the hyperbole.  We've already established that "this state sucks for guns", "don't move here", "we're all going to jail", right?  Good...

You can bring your guns here with you...  provided that, when you do, you bring them straight to your place of residence.  Once you enter NJ with firearms in your vehicle, you need to go straight to your residence (reason being - you are in unlawful possession of firearms, having neither an NJ permit to carry a handgun, or a NJ Firearms ID card - and you are only exempt from that law because you are in the process of moving from one residence to another).

Now - the other big thing to consider, is that the firearms must be legal to possess in NJ.  For "most" handguns, this is easy...  no mags over 15 rounds.  Semi-autos only (no Glock 18s, for instance).  And, for the most part, no AR-type, AK-type, UZI-type pistols.  We can discuss the minutia later, if necessary.

For shotguns - no semi-autos with folding stocks or pistol grips, and no magazines over 6 rounds.  That's semi-auto only...  other types of action (pump, lever, O/U, etc.) are fine, no matter what (subject to federal Title 1 limitations, anyway...  ie. no barrels < 18", no overall length < 26", etc.)

For rifles - if it's semi-auto, there's a specific list that are banned outright.  This includes the Colt AR-15, the M1 Carbine, and the AK types.  Just as other "AR-15 style" rifles are legal (if properly configured), so are other "AK-47 types", such as the WASR.  It just can't be an actual Kalishnikov.  Assuming that, then no folding or telescoping stocks (must be pinned in place), no bayonet lugs, no threaded barrels or flash suppressors...  muzzle must either be crowned, or have a brake/comp permanently attached.  And, of course, no mags over 15 rounds.

No - you are not required to register anything.  There does exist a voluntary registration process - God knows why anyone would voluntarily choose to do that.  Pretend it doesn't exist.

No - you can not get a permit to carry.  Please don't ask.

Let's stop here...  let that soak in, and answer any other question you have.  When you're not feeling too nauseous, go ahead and look up NJ statues 2C, Chapter 39.  Specifically - 2C:39-5 and 2C:39-6.  2C:39-5 will tell you all that's illegal.  2C:39-6e and 2C:39-6f will tell you when and where you're allowed to possess those illegal items.  2C:39-6g will tell you how to legally transport your illegal items.

And...  oh yeah...  welcome to NJ  
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Jersey City?

It's your funeral.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No mags over 15 rounds.
No bayo lugs.

OK, since you asked...
If your rifle fits into the requirements (flash hiders, folding stocks, bayo lugs etc) , and does NOT say "AK47:" on it,(WASIR, fine, SLR-107, no problem etc) it is legal, provided you feed it with mags that will NOT hold more than 15 rds.
If at any time you decide a say....folding stock is nice on your "AK type" rifle, that is a NO GO. No matter what the rifle is marked.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll try to sum it up as simple as possible:

AK-74 is legal as long as muzzle brake is permanently attached (no flash hiders), fixed stock, and no bayonet lug. No mags greater than 15rds
Glocks are legal as-is, again just be mindful of 15rd magazine limit
You don't need any kind of permit to keep them at your residence or take them to a range. There is also no required registration or anything like that, you can just bring them with you when you move.
Only transport them directly between your home and the range, nowhere else.
It would be a good idea to apply for a Firearm Purchaser ID once you establish residency, but it's not required. You'll need it if you want to purchase any firearms here and, while not technically required, you will have a hard time buying ammo without it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'll try and cut through much of the hyperbole.  We've already established that "this state sucks for guns", "don't move here", "we're all going to jail", right?  Good...

You can bring your guns here with you...  provided that, when you do, you bring them straight to your place of residence.  Once you enter NJ with firearms in your vehicle, you need to go straight to your residence (reason being - you are in unlawful possession of firearms, having neither an NJ permit to carry a handgun, or a NJ Firearms ID card - and you are only exempt from that law because you are in the process of moving from one residence to another).

Now - the other big thing to consider, is that the firearms must be legal to possess in NJ.  For "most" handguns, this is easy...  no mags over 15 rounds.  Semi-autos only (no Glock 18s, for instance).  And, for the most part, no AR-type, AK-type, UZI-type pistols.  We can discuss the minutia later, if necessary.

For shotguns - no semi-autos with folding stocks or pistol grips, and no magazines over 6 rounds.  That's semi-auto only...  other types of action (pump, lever, O/U, etc.) are fine, no matter what (subject to federal Title 1 limitations, anyway...  ie. no barrels < 18", no overall length < 26", etc.)

For rifles - if it's semi-auto, there's a specific list that are banned outright.  This includes the Colt AR-15, the M1 Carbine, and the AK types.  Just as other "AR-15 style" rifles are legal (if properly configured), so are other "AK-47 types", such as the WASR.  It just can't be an actual Kalishnikov.  Assuming that, then no folding or telescoping stocks (must be pinned in place), no bayonet lugs, no threaded barrels or flash suppressors...  muzzle must either be crowned, or have a brake/comp permanently attached.  And, of course, no mags over 15 rounds.

No - you are not required to register anything.  There does exist a voluntary registration process - God knows why anyone would voluntarily choose to do that.  Pretend it doesn't exist.

Let's stop here...  let that soak in, and answer any other question you have.  When you're not feeling too nauseous, go ahead and look up NJ statues 2C, Chapter 39.  Specifically - 2C:39-5 and 2C:39-6.  2C:39-5 will tell you all that's illegal.  2C:39-6e and 2C:39-6f will tell you when and where you're allowed to possess those illegal items.  2C:39-6g will tell you how to legally transport your illegal items.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That was... refreshing.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK...so things are not as bad as NY.  From what I understand, when the SAFE act B.S. took place, everyone there turned in their guns.    By the way, can you order ammo online, or must it be shipped to an FFL?  Is that what you need the ID card for?  Assuming I don't do that, I just keep my guns at home, keep them unloaded in my car, and only drive with them to the gun range?  Do people routinely get pulled over and searched for guns?

Are there any special regulations in Jersey City or in other major metro areas in NJ?  Just trying to get informed here.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OK...so things are not as bad as NY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
OK...so things are not as bad as NY

Yes and no.  Most places in NY, you can get a carry permit.  But in NJ, you can still by AR-15s (albeit neutered ones).

From what I understand, when the SAFE act B.S. took place, everyone there turned in their guns.  

Yep...  all 20,000 or so of them.

By the way, can you order ammo online, or must it be shipped to an FFL?  Is that what you need the ID card for?

Most places will ship ammo to you mail-order.  Some ask for a copy of your FID first.  A few won't ship to NJ, because they either don't understand the law, got bad information from NJSP, or just plain don't give a shit.  But there's plenty who will, so it's not that big of a deal.

By the letter of the law, you need to possess a Firearms ID card to purchase handgun ammunition.  Some places take that to the extreme, and want to see an FID for any ammo purchase.

Assuming I don't do that, I just keep my guns at home, keep them unloaded in my car, and only drive with them to the gun range?

All legal.

Do people routinely get pulled over and searched for guns?

Usually it stems from being pulled over for some infraction (say, speeding).  LEO observes gun cases, and the conversation begins.  Here's where an FID card can make a bad situation a little better - some LEO's don't understand the exemptions of 2C:39-6, and will think that if you're transporting firearms without an FID, you're getting arrested.

"Are there any special regulations in Jersey City or in other major metro areas in NJ?  Just trying to get informed here."

None that I'm aware of - however, don't assume anything.  NJ does not have state-level preemption on firearm laws, so it's entirely possible for a local municipality to enact ordinances that go above and beyond the completely lax state-level gun control policies.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"Are there any special regulations in Jersey City or in other major metro areas in NJ?  Just trying to get informed here."

None that I'm aware of - however, don't assume anything.  NJ does not have state-level preemption on firearm laws, so it's entirely possible for a local municipality to enact ordinances that go above and beyond the completely lax state-level gun control policies.
View Quote

2C:1-5d prevents local municipalities from being able to regulate use and sale of firearms, so we technically do have state preemption. ANJRPC sued Jersey City when they tried to locally implement one gun a month and won, but then the state passed the same bill so we still lost in the end anyway
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks - wasn't aware of that.  And if I remember, it was the mayor and CoP of Jersey City who were the biggest proponents of OGAM.  So, can we then infer that ANJRPC helped to get OGAM passed into state law?  
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks - wasn't aware of that.  And if I remember, it was the mayor and CoP of Jersey City who were the biggest proponents of OGAM.  So, can we then infer that ANJRPC helped to get OGAM passed into state law?  
View Quote

IIRC the first push for statewide one gun a month was a few years before that and failed by one vote, then Jersey City enacted their ordinance in response to the state bill failing to pass originally. I don't fault ANJRPC one bit, they are fighting the good fight.

ETA: appears that my timeline was off somewhat, Jersey City actually enacted their ordinance first before the first state bill was introduced. So yes, their motivation for the state bill does appear to be a "F You" to gun owners after losing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#16]
kalash74,

I am not going to comment on the gun laws because they are going to be the least of your worries,
I don't know the extent of your lifestyle ( city dweller, suburbanite, country hick, etc.), but your potential move to Jersey City
or any city that borders NYC is going to be a "Cultural Shock" to you and your wife ( unless you have lived in those parts before).

Godspeed
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
This thread makes me glad I moved out of NJ last month.  My parents are still there so I still have to leave the guns at home
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Guns are illegal in NJ--welll almost.  Jersey City is one of the worst at stomping on gun rights.  They are happy to get sued to draw out the process of you acquiring permits for firearms.  

Wait till you see the process of getting firearms.  Oh, by the way, if you own pistols you can't buy ammo for them in NJ until you get a firearms purchasers id card.  Awesome right?

Oh yeah, I moved to FL recently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top