Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2015 1:54:36 PM EDT
http://www.guns.com/2015/09/22/man-told-cant-have-gramps-m1-as-its-an-assault-firearm/

A New Jersey court told a man last week he cannot possess a vintage M1 Carbine handed down from his grandfather as it was an illegal assault weapon.

The case involves Danny Burt, a Cumberland County resident who had his firearm collection impounded by the New Jersey State Police in April 2013 in conjunction with a temporary protective order as reported by NJ.com.

Court documents show that Burt had a total of 21 guns and his firearms identification card picked up by authorities over two years ago. However, although the restraining order against him was dropped a month later and Burt moved to get the guns back, the courts found "that the M-1 carbine is an illegal weapon and is therefore improper to possess.”

Burt argued the gun, acquired legally in 2006 from his grandfather who served in World War II, had considerable sentimental value to him and, in fact, he didn’t even know if it was in working condition, as he had never shot it.

Nevertheless, prosecutors argued, "the weapon is contraband [which] can never be returned to [Burt].” Further, they moved to keep his entire collection over the M1 and revoke his FID, citing possession of the .30 caliber carbine was a second-degree felony in New Jersey, which would bar him from firearms ownership under the state’s gun laws.

Although the court expressed sympathy for his plight and admitted Burt had no prior criminal history, they noted, "the gun in question is an illegal weapon under current New Jersey law,” giving the court "no alternative” but to grant the prosecutor’s request to forfeit Burt’s guns to the state over the M1

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1790356_Man_told_can_t_have_gramp_s_M1_as_it_s_an__assault_firearm_.html&page=1

Wtf did anyone see this shit

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Good thing they got another M1 carbine off the streets. Society is much safer now.

Has the "assault weapons" ban ever been tested in the courts? Where's the NRA and ANJRPC?
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It's ok, we still have our gun "rights" here in NJ.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't understand why all NJ gun owners don't march on Trenton carrying their firearms. I mean Tennessee did it in the Battle of Athens and overthrew their tyrant government. People today are to laid back and don't care about anyone until it happens to them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I love how the M1 carbine is banned but an M1A isn't. The idiocy in this state is astounding.

Wasn't there a march several months ago and it went no where?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't understand why all NJ gun owners don't march on Trenton carrying their firearms. I mean Tennessee did it in the Battle of Athens and overthrew their tyrant government. People today are to laid back and don't care about anyone until it happens to them.
View Quote

Exactly.  Let's do it tomorrow.  You lead...  
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm down. ....anytime
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I really hate the fact that I can't add the M1 Carbine to My WW2 collection of firearms...

I remember a few years ago the CMP had plenty of them for sale...And My mouth was watering to buy one!

If I would have visited the CMP North store they told Me that I could purchase one...But It's just not worth the risk to own one in the great state of NJ.

The M1 Carbine is on the top of My list of firearms to purchase once the Wife and I finally make the move to South Florida!
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

You do realize how we will be portrayed on the media, right ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you think the Founding Fathers were portrayed?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The FF didn't have to deal with "Public Safety"! There would be mass arrests, State of Emergency declared and public execution would be approved and carried out.

Break up the word history ... His-story. He who wins tells / writes the "Story".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you think the Founding Fathers were portrayed?

The FF didn't have to deal with "Public Safety"! There would be mass arrests, State of Emergency declared and public execution would be approved and carried out.

Break up the word history ... His-story. He who wins tells / writes the "Story".

I guarantee you that if you get a group of 100+ armed peaceful citizens together you'd have a Bundy Ranch type situation.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#12]
there is no hope for NJ...place sucks
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#13]
NJ needs an uprising of some sort, obviously not a Baltimore or Ferguson style since that'll be counter productive
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top