Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2015 4:48:50 PM EDT
So I have an old car for sale and a potential buyer asked if I would take a trade instead of cash. Guns or cash was my response. His response was ( "I" meaning me) needed to be a FFL. As we were discussing, he was very adamant that I could NOT use a local FFL dealer to handle any transfer. Again, I would have be the acting FFL.
I never heard of such, can anyone clue me in as to what I might be missing? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you both NJ residents, if so and you have an FID card then to accept a handgun in trade from him would require a Permit to Purchase on your part, long guns just a Certificate of Eligibility. No FFL is required.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you both NJ residents, if so and you have an FID card then to accept a handgun in trade from him would require a Permit to Purchase on your part, long guns just a Certificate of Eligibility. No FFL is required.
View Quote

+1 for this ^^^^   Perfectly legal for you to take, trade or purchase a handgun but YOU need a pistol permit if that is what the potential buyer is offering.  I thought a NJ FID card was good enough for long guns but it looks like I might be wrong about that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I thought a NJ FID card was good enough for long guns but it looks like I might be wrong about that.
View Quote

No, you are not wrong.  An NJ resident can acquire a long gun from another NJ resident with nothing more than an FID card, and two copies of a Certificate of Eligibility form.  Buyer and seller both fill out and sign both copies, and each keeps a copy.  Quick, simple, and painless.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#4]
As already mentioned a FFL does not have to be involved at all.

NJSP has a FAQ on their website covering the process for private sales: http://www.njsp.org/about/firearms-faqs.html
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replys, seems like I was half correct. I have a couple 4473's in the safe. Hopefully we can work out a favorable trade.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a couple 4473's in the safe.
View Quote

Unless you're an FFL....  no, you don't.  4473 is an ATF form.  CoE (Certificate of Eligibility) is a NJ form, and is what you fill out for private transfers of long arms in NJ.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually, there's a 4473 in this thread!

For English, press 1
https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download
Para Espanol, numero dos
https://www.atf.gov/file/61451/download

I suppose numero dos is for Fast and Furious buyers only
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:[/b]
Actually, there's a 4473 in this thread!

For English, press 1
https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download
]

THIS is the form I have.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
THIS is the form I have.
View Quote

Okay.  Well, that's not the form you'd use.  That form is only used by a licensee (FFL) to transfer to a non-licensee (not an FFL).  For a private transfer, you want this form:

Certificate of Eligibility

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Okay.  Well, that's not the form you'd use.  That form is only used by a licensee (FFL) to transfer to a non-licensee (not an FFL).  For a private transfer, you want this form:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
THIS is the form I have.

Thank you.. I will print this form Out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top