Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2015 5:44:27 PM EDT
I recently noticed 2 correctional officers in completely different areas and different uniforms carrying an empty holster on their duty belt.  I guess they carry at work but can't carry outside of work?  I would figure a CO is an authority like police, but I guess not.

On a second note, I was wonder (just for the sake of curiosity) if it's possible to go become an LEO in some small town that it's easy to get on the force, and then retire after X amount of years in order to be able to carry in all 50 states?  Has anyone in "NoHopeNJ" ever thought about doing that?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes they can. Im a County CO and we have full police power including off duty. We can CCW off duty as well. On duty we can carry our issued weapons on us on our duty belt. Once we get into work we leave the weapons in a weapon locker because we cannot bring them inside the jail. There are certain duties that also require us to holster our weapons as well.

As far as your second question goes, in order to retire and collect your pension you need to do 30 years now. There are a few ways to become a LEO. Civil service and Alternate route (college route) and chiefs test.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.

So why are you issued a firearm if you have to take it off before entering the prison?  I would think only the CO's that serve a function outside the prisons would get issued a firearm.  Just curious.

As for the retired LEO, it has to be less than 30 years, no?  A lot of cops only put 25 years in and retire and still get to CCW.  I thought it was something like 5 years on duty and you could retire with carry privileges.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Im not sure about retirement but the new pension system requires 30 years before you retire. Thank Christie for that. Im a loooong way from retirement so i havnt been really too concerned with that. We get issued weapons because we still have full police power outside of the jail. We still go through the police academy and at any given point someone can be selected to do transports, work in sections of the jail that require a weapons including outside patrols or front lobby. We are still a uniformed LEO whether it be inside or outside the jail. We go to and from work in uniform and we carry our sidearms on us while we do it. Not to mention not everyone office owns their own person firearms or even has a FID card to buy their own. In that case we can CCW our issued weapons.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As for the retired LEO, it has to be less than 30 years, no?  A lot of cops only put 25 years in and retire and still get to CCW.  I thought it was something like 5 years on duty and you could retire with carry privileges.
View Quote

10 years aggregate service, according to 18 USC § 926B (HR218, aka LEOSA)

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Of course they can, they're the King's men therefore they get to defend themselves whereas the peasants can't be trusted with such a gift
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, Corrections officers can carry in the State of NJ. On duty and off duty as long as they have met qualification standards.
Retired officers can carry as long as they meet the required 15  years of active duty and retired under good standing and qualify semi-annually.

Under the LEOSA (HR 218) they can carry in all states as long as they have met qualification standards set by the Police Training Commission.

I retired after 25 years from the NJ DOC and newer guys have to do 30 years to get pension and medical. I carry everyday and work armed too.
Nothing special is given to us, everything is earned.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, Corrections officers can carry in the State of NJ. On duty and off duty as long as they have met qualification standards.
Retired officers can carry as long as they meet the required 15  years of active duty and retired under good standing and qualify semi-annually.

Under the LEOSA (HR 218) they can carry in all states as long as they have met qualification standards set by the Police Training Commission.

I retired after 25 years from the NJ DOC and newer guys have to do 30 years to get pension and medical. I carry everyday and work armed too.

View Quote

Yes something special is given to you.  You have the special distinction of being able to defend yourself.  The rest of us peasants don't get that luxury.  The only difference is you worked for the King and Lord for 25 years while the rest of us are just plain citizens, veterans, and peasants begging the King for mercy of a right that should be ours from the start.  That's ok though, the Constitution be damned and all since you got yours and that's all that matters
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes something special is given to you.  You have the special distinction of being able to defend yourself.  The rest of us peasants don't get that luxury.  The only difference is you worked for the King and Lord for 25 years while the rest of us are just plain citizens, veterans, and peasants begging the King for mercy of a right that should be ours from the start.  That's ok though, the Constitution be damned and all since you got yours and that's all that matters
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is certainly true and while I have several LEO friends in NJ, all but one think they are more special than everyone else.

Contrary to what you may believe in American states, non LEOs can carry weapons. I know, I know...it's crazy. But I somehow got more responsible when I traded in my NJ drivers license for a GA drivers license the day after I moved. I had my carry permit in 6 days after that. Within that 6 days, it had to also go through the US postal system to get to me.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well considering we chose a career where people hate us the second we put a uniform on and in some areas are literally out to get us, yeah we are given something special. Not to mention because we have power off duty to stop threats to others, which a regular "peasant" as you say, does not have. If it makes you feel any better, for all the time CO's spend carrying off duty, we spend triple that armed with nothing but our own hands and OC spray surrounded by hundreds of violent inmates. And yes, sometimes we do see those former inmates out in public when they get released.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well considering we chose a career where people hate us the second we put a uniform on and in some areas are literally out to get us, yeah we are given something special. Not to mention because we have power off duty to stop threats to others, which a regular "peasant" as you say, does not have. If it makes you feel any better, for all the time CO's spend carrying off duty, we spend triple that armed with nothing but our own hands and OC spray surrounded by hundreds of violent inmates. And yes, sometimes we do see those former inmates out in public when they get released.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry buddy you don't HAVE to stop threats.  In fact, according to the Supreme Court law enforcement don't actually have to protect and serve anyone.  But hey nice try.  All I heard out of your explanation is, "boo hoo I'm special because the King paid me and I got to wear a uniform".  I wore a uniform for 7 years that put me in a lot more danger than a prison or "meeting a former inmate on the street".  But hey, go on thinking your a special breed and how the laws somehow don't apply to you.  Thin blue line and all that bullshit.  And you wonder why the opinion of law enforcement in this country is in the shitter?  It's because of people with attitudes like yours where you think your life is more important than mine, my father's, brother's or the other people out there.  Pathetic
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:24:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That is certainly true and while I have several LEO friends in NJ, all but one think they are more special than everyone else.

Contrary to what you may believe in American states, non LEOs can carry weapons. I know, I know...it's crazy. But I somehow got more responsible when I traded in my NJ drivers license for a GA drivers license the day after I moved. I had my carry permit in 6 days after that. Within that 6 days, it had to also go through the US postal system to get to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of us signed oaths to protect the Constitution and get assigned to work places against our will.  I'm trying to leave NJ but not until Uncle Sam says I can.  

Funny how my oath says to uphold the Constitution not trash it and then carve out exemptions for myself because I wear blue.  But hey, some of us have morals while others don't.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sorry buddy you don't HAVE to stop threats.  In fact, according to the Supreme Court law enforcement don't actually have to protect and serve anyone.  But hey nice try.  All I heard out of your explanation is, "boo hoo I'm special because the King paid me and I got to wear a uniform".  I wore a uniform for 7 years that put me in a lot more danger than a prison or "meeting a former inmate on the street".  But hey, go on thinking your a special breed and how the laws somehow don't apply to you.  Thin blue line and all that bullshit.  And you wonder why the opinion of law enforcement in this country is in the shitter?  It's because of people with attitudes like yours where you think your life is more important than mine, my father's, brother's or the other people out there.  Pathetic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a sad individual. Your anti-police why? Because we can carry and you cant? Thats all im getting out of you. Boohoo wah wah move to another state and stop acting like a child. All the OP asked was can CO's ccw and you turned this into a cop bashing thread. But its ok keep thinking you wont be the first person to call the police when someone bad happens. Nowhere have i said the law doesnt apply to me or that im special. All i said was because of the career i chose, they gave me the option to CCW and i COULD stop threats if i wanted to, not HAVE to. You said it yourself, the opinion of LEO went down the shitter. People dont like us. Usually its the ones who constantly break the law. Sounds like your only opinion is "wahhh they can ccw but i cant so im going to be a sovereign citizen and cop bash over an internet forum." I also never said my life was more important. I simply gave you reasons why LEO would be granted the right to carry. And FYI i too wore a another uniform before this. You are sadly mistaken to generalize all LEO. For fucks sake look at the forum we are on. You think im against you guys carrying? Absolutely not. I wish my father and my brother could carry. But i dont make the goddamn laws do i?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You're a sad individual. Your anti-police why? Because we can carry and you cant? Thats all im getting out of you. Boohoo wah wah move to another state and stop acting like a child. All the OP asked was can CO's ccw and you turned this into a cop bashing thread. But its ok keep thinking you wont be the first person to call the police when someone bad happens. Nowhere have i said the law doesnt apply to me or that im special. All i said was because of the career i chose, they gave me the option to CCW and i COULD stop threats if i wanted to, not HAVE to. You said it yourself, the opinion of LEO went down the shitter. People dont like us. Usually its the ones who constantly break the law. Sounds like your only opinion is "wahhh they can ccw but i cant so im going to be a sovereign citizen and cop bash over an internet forum." I also never said my life was more important. I simply gave you reasons why LEO would be granted the right to carry. And FYI i too wore a another uniform before this. You are sadly mistaken to generalize all LEO. For fucks sake look at the forum we are on. You think im against you guys carrying? Absolutely not. I wish my father and my brother could carry. But i dont make the goddamn laws do i?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed the point.  I'm anti police thinking they're special snowflakes than the rest of the state, not straight up "anti-police, BLM, boo hoo".  And even though you don't make the laws, the union that represents you pushes for your special snowflake exemptions in the law.  So by allowing the union to make you special, you are also part of the problem.  

As far as moving, I'm not a pussy and don't back down from a fight for my rights.  

Sovereign Citizen?    No.  I'm just one of those "crazy" people who thinks the protections the Constitution is supposed to guarantee is meant for all citizens of the US, not just special carved out "acceptable persons".  Such a radical concept these days I know.  Especially when talking to LEOs from states like NJ, NY, MA, CA, etc.  Hell I'm even pissed that military members get exempted from some gun laws in certain states (CT for example).  I guess that makes me "anti-military" and I should hate myself.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not too sure where your getting you can't defend yourself in the State of New Jersey.  If your talking about carrying a firearm then that falls under state law and has nothing to do with the Federal Government being regulated by the 2nd Amendment.

Last time I checked the widest section of New Jersey is only around 70 miles, nothing prevents you from moving to Pennsylvania.

As far as working for a King , never!!!  I swore an oath when I joined the US Army too and another when I graduated the academy. They were very similar in wording.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am not too sure where your getting you can't defend yourself in the State of New Jersey.  If your talking about carrying a firearm then that falls under state law and has nothing to do with the Federal Government being regulated by the 2nd Amendment.

Last time I checked the widest section of New Jersey is only around 70 miles, nothing prevents you from moving to Pennsylvania.

As far as working for a King , never!!!  I swore an oath when I joined the US Army too and another when I graduated the academy. They were very similar in wording.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet you enforce laws that go against that oath.  So instead of standing up for people's rights, those same people you supposedly serve, you instead tell them to move.  Serve and Protect, thin blue line, blah blah.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Curious at its worse, how many lock points deep were you over your entire career?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious at its worse, how many lock points deep were you over your entire career?

8 points  in Ad - Seg.,  but that is not where I spent most of my time.
I 'ge been a Kitchen officer,  Housing officer,  two years on assignment with Special Operations, three years assigned to the range, thirteen as an adjunct
instructor,  control room officer,  and eight as a detention officer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top