Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2015 5:18:13 PM EDT
I just submitted my forms to the BATF today. As part of the process you fill out another application as a copy which you submit to your Chief LEO. Here in Hamilton/Mercer Co. I don't think the lady that handles anything firearms application related doesn't have a clue what a C&R license is. I had to stand there and explain why I handed a copy to give the chief.
My question is did anyone have a RECENT experience obtaining this C&R? Also were you asked or required to register yourself as a "business" even though the purpose is strictly for yourself and not to "buy and sell" ?

Any insight would be appreciated

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you aware that Even Nappen strongly recommends AGAINST getting a C&R in NJ?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
There are currently 153 C&R Licensees in NJ. Nappen is not right about everything. IIRC, there are a few NJ Arfcom Members that hold C&Rs.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Out of curiosity, why?

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, why?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, why?  

I wish I still had my copy of Nappen's orange 'NJ Gun Laws' book, but I loaned it out to somebody, and I can't remember who.  Maybe someone who has a copy can post the exact reasoning, but it's something about giving the NJSP the ability to charge you with a crime.

Here's a quote from Iggyort from back in '09:
Currently several of us here on this Board have a C&R Lic. (FFL -03 ) paperwork . We are all in the process of returning our C&R Licences to the ATF since the NJ State Police has attempted to prosecute several NJ Residents with C&R Licences as illegal Firearms Dealers.

Hopefully Iggy will see this thread, and chime in with what the deal is currently.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#5]
If it didnt come out very good, sorry. I'm still way down low on the learning curve with all this new shit.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I wish I still had my copy of Nappen's orange 'NJ Gun Laws' book, but I loaned it out to somebody, and I can't remember who.  Maybe someone who has a copy can post the exact reasoning, but it's something about giving the NJSP the ability to charge you with a crime.

Hopefully Iggy will see this thread, and chime in with what the deal is currently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, why?  

Currently several of us here on this Board have a C&R Lic. (FFL -03 ) paperwork . We are all in the process of returning our C&R Licences to the ATF since the NJ State Police has attempted to prosecute several NJ Residents with C&R Licences as illegal Firearms Dealers.

I surrendered mine last year. It has no real use in NJ and I have stopped collecting. Therefore, why invite the man into my life
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If it didnt come out very good, sorry. I'm still way down low on the learning curve with all this new shit.
View Quote

NP - I'll transcribe:

Do not have a Federal Firearms License (even a collector of Curio and Relics FFL) without having a New Jersey Retail Firearm Dealer's License or New Jersey Manufacturer and Wholesale Dealer of Firearms License.

The New Jersey State Police and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms work so closely together that some State Police are actually given the title of "BATF Special Agent" and are stationed without BATF's offices.  At times, one may call the BATF and actually be speaking with a State Police Officer.  The list of FFLs and the list of New Jersey Firearm Dealers are compared by law enforcement; those who possess a FFL without a State license are targeted by the BATF for a "compliance check" which they are entitled to conduct under Federal law.  The results of this compliance check are passed to the State Police "on a silver platter" at which time search warrants, arrest warrants etc. are prepared for unsuspecting victims.

If you have a Federal Firearms License without a State dealer's license, you should contact an attorney who is knowledgeable about New Jersey Gun Law without delay.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
^TRUTH^
I was told this by an ATF agent at my house in the late 80's early 90's when I filled out the ad in a shotgun news to get my FFL.
In fact, I was told this pretty much verbatim.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
What a holy crock of shit. I'm not looking to set up shop. I just want a few Mauser G98's,and a few early Colt cavalry pistols.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What a holy crock of shit. I'm not looking to set up shop. I just want a few Mauser G98's,and a few early Colt cavalry pistols.
View Quote

Not saying don't do it...  and it is NOT against NJ law - just wanted you to be aware of what you might be getting in to.  I doubt anyone ever charged by the NJSP had those charges stick, but it's still a royal PITA to have to deal with.

However - weigh the cost savings of buying those collectibles with an FFL03 vs. buying them outright, against the cost of defending yourself against a bogus criminal charge.  I think the less expensive route is fairly obvious.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#11]
My thoughts were, I at the time worked sometimes 3am to 5-6pm.
Why would I want my door battered down Oh dark thirty so save a few bux.
For the little saved, it wasnt worth it to me.
Yea, it's bullshit, but it's jersey....
jm.02
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember hearing about a guy a few years ago with a C&R charged by NJSP for dealing in firearms without a state license. Apparently the charges were eventually dropped when he proved that he had nothing shipped directly to him and had the 4473's/COE's and pistol permits to prove it. Does anyone know about this case? I tried looking it up but can't find anything about it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I Let My C&R License Expire in 2009...

It is Absolutely Worthless to have one in NJ...

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it really that big of a hassle? I'm not looking to amass a huge qty of weapons. And certainly not selling/transferring any of them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is my recommendation for what its worth:

Do not do it.

This State hates legal  gunowners !!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I am grateful for everyone's input. After playing phone tag with the ATF lady for 2 weeks I straight up asked Do I have to register myself as a business in order to use this license?  I have no intention of selling or swapping with other licensees and only buy one or 2 rifles a year. The response was as clear and straight foreward.

According to the ATF in order to qualify as a C&R the weapon must be classified as a C&R. I think this was a "DUH" answer, but the next I think will help will help any future members with this question out.

The ATF has no problem with anyone applying and authorizing an FFL-03, however the State of NJ does. This State does not recognize anyone having an FFL-03. Even though said weapon(s) were all purchased legally the State can come a knockin' and give you grief.

AT this time I withdrew my request mainly because my wife is going through some medical issues right now and don't need the added aggrevation of having someone come to my home and ask to see what I have and my C&R book.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Chicken .... LOL
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#18]
This state sucks. Reading this thread made me sad and angry at how fucked up this state is. I hate NJ and can't wait to get out of here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top