Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:24:04 PM EDT
My friends Dad is moving from NY to NJ. He has a CCW in NY and will keep and maintain a home in NY so he wants to be able to keep his NY permit.
So he needs to get a permit in NJ so he can legally have the handguns in NJ. He went to the local PD that serves the area he will be moving to and they gave him a jerk job.

The guy is 80, so does he stand a chance of getting a handgun permit in NJ before he kicks the bucket? While he would like to have a full carry he understands that NJ may not allow that.

So what does it take?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#1]
CCW in NY state?

GTFO
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CCW in NY state?  

GTFO
View Quote

Not sure I follow, but my sarcasm meter has taken a beating today (insane traffic).  Should I have said an "unrestricted handgun permit" in NYS?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The guy is 80, so does he stand a chance of getting a handgun permit in NJ before he kicks the bucket? While he would like to have a full carry he understands that NJ may not allow that.

So what does it take?
View Quote

No, he does not stand any chance of obtaining a NJ Permit to Carry.  On paper, NJ is a "may issue" state, much like NY.  In practice, NJ is a "no issue" state.  You are required to show a "justifiable need to carry a handgun", and "defense of self" is not considered a justifiable need.  There are less than 1,500 issued permits to carry in a state of about 8 million population.  Most of these are for armored car workers, former LE, prosecutors, and of course Senators and Assemblypersons.  A few business owners who are very politically connected also possess the mythical document.

With a residence in NJ, he is able to keep a handgun in his place of residence (see 2C:39-6e), he is able to transport them (unloaded, and secured in a case) to said home while moving (again, see 2C:39-6e, and 2C:39-6g).

What he should apply for, once he's settled in NJ, is a Firearms ID card.  While not needed for handgun possession (FIDs permit one to purchase long guns), it will be needed to purchase handgun ammunition in NJ, and is also recommended by many attorneys for ANY firearms possession, even when not explicitly required by statute.

Issuance of a Firearms ID card is for-the-most-part "shall-issue", consisting of an application form, a mental health records release form, two references, fingerprinting, and about $85-$90 in fees.  The local PD provides the application information, and the forms needed are available from the NJ State Police website.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Unlike NY, NJ does not require any permit or registration to simply have a handgun in your home or at the range. When he moves here all he has to do is transport them appropriately from NY (unloaded and cased, ideally in the trunk of vehicle). Also unlike NY it is impossible to get a carry permit regardless of where in the state you live.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Unlike NY, NJ does not require any permit or registration to simply have a handgun in your home or at the range. When he moves here all he has to do is transport them appropriately from NY (unloaded and cased, ideally in the trunk of vehicle). Also unlike NY it is impossible to get a carry permit regardless of where in the state you live.
View Quote

This is not entirely true.  For ANY firearm in New Jersey you need a Firearms ID Card.  Before bringing any firearm into the state obtain the card.  Then there is no issue with transportation and home possession.  As stated above pigs will fly before us peons get a CCW permit in the state of NJ.

I was in the same boat.  NY CCW is about where you live.  Unlike NJ if you live in the more rural areas outside of the major cities it is not difficult to get a CCW.  It is MAY issue but up to the discretion of the LOCAL issuing Judge.  I lived in Sullivan County and we probably had 10 times the pistol permits than the entire State of NJ and that was just one county.  

I may be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.  Someone with greater knowledge can chime in and correct me if I am wrong but this is my understanding.  

Good Luck

trldad
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is not entirely true.  For ANY firearm in New Jersey you need a Firearms ID Card.  Before bringing any firearm into the state obtain the card.  Then there is no issue with transportation and home possession.  As stated above pigs will fly before us peons get a CCW permit in the state of NJ.

I was in the same boat.  NY CCW is about where you live.  Unlike NJ if you live in the more rural areas outside of the major cities it is not difficult to get a CCW.  It is MAY issue but up to the discretion of the LOCAL issuing Judge.  I lived in Sullivan County and we probably had 10 times the pistol permits than the entire State of NJ and that was just one county.  

I may be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.  Someone with greater knowledge can chime in and correct me if I am wrong but this is my understanding.  

Good Luck

trldad
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Luck

trldad

Relevant statues are below. It's a common misconception because just reading 2c:39-5 it sounds that way but 2c:39-6 carves out exemptions for where you can posses a firearm without a FPID. Technically you can even buy a handgun without a FPID, it's possible to get a handgun purchase permit without having one.

2C:39-5. Unlawful possession of weapon
b. Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S. 2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.
c. Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S. 2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

2C:39-6.
e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S. 2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is not entirely true.  For ANY firearm in New Jersey you need a Firearms ID Card.
View Quote

Not exactly.  To ACQUIRE a firearm in NJ, you need an FID.  It's perfectly legal for someone to move into the state and bring their firearms - as long as they are legal to possess in NJ.  2C:39-6e provides both the exemption to possess in your home, and to transport to that home while moving.

And, technically, to acquire a handgun in NJ, you don't even need a Firearms ID card - just a permit to purchase a handgun (see 2C:58-3a).  Remember that an FID card has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the possession or transportation of a handgun.  You either have a permit to carry a handgun, or your illegal possession is exempted by the language of 2C:39-6.  FIDs are for rifles and shotguns only.

While I agree one should be strongly encouraged to apply for and obtain an FID, it's not a requirement of the law.  It's even legal to transport your firearms to and from a range (see 2C:39-6f(3)(b), if memory serves) - however, having an FID on hand might make a road-side stop-n-search ("I smell marijuana - I'm going to tear your car apart") go a little easier.

ETA:  Yeah....  what Mak said  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not exactly.  To ACQUIRE a firearm in NJ, you need an FID.  It's perfectly legal for someone to move into the state and bring their firearms - as long as they are legal to possess in NJ.  2C:39-6e provides both the exemption to possess in your home, and to transport to that home while moving.

And, technically, to acquire a handgun in NJ, you don't even need a Firearms ID card - just a permit to purchase a handgun (see 2C:58-3a).  Remember that an FID card has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the possession or transportation of a handgun.  You either have a permit to carry a handgun, or your illegal possession is exempted by the language of 2C:39-6.  FIDs are for rifles and shotguns only.

While I agree one should be strongly encouraged to apply for and obtain an FID, it's not a requirement of the law.  It's even legal to transport your firearms to and from a range (see 2C:39-6f(3)(b), if memory serves) - however, having an FID on hand might make a road-side stop-n-search ("I smell marijuana - I'm going to tear your car apart") go a little easier.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is not entirely true.  For ANY firearm in New Jersey you need a Firearms ID Card.

Tom is correct !!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tom is correct !!!
View Quote

Tom is ALWAYS correct.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Tom is ALWAYS correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tom is correct !!!

Tom is ALWAYS correct.

I stand Tommed. I mean corrected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top