Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 7:24:49 AM EDT
http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/crime/2015/06/29/christie-gun-laws-commission-carol-bowne/29496143/

Talking about it in the GD thread.

Gov. Chris Christie, citing the recent murder of a Berlin Township woman, on Monday created a panel to recommend possible changes to New Jersey gun laws.

Christie said the three-member study commission may identify changes “ to remove unnecessary restrictions that interfere with the exercise of rights under the 2nd Amendment while maintaining public safety.”

An executive order said Christie would name appointees with “expertise in criminal law,” but did not identify any members.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#1]
He still doesn't have my vote in '16
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's how I predict it going down: the commission will recommend streamlining of the FID and pistol permit system and requiring they all actually be issued within 30 days. Attached to this bill will also be anti-gun changes to get it through the dem legislature, most notably a ban on private sales.  The ideal scenario would be eliminating pistol permits all together and just treating them the same as long guns. I don't see the FID cards going away but requiring them to be issued in 30 days and using it in lieu of individual handgun permits would be a great improvement over the status quo.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Cristie didn't  announce  any changes to NJ gun laws; not a single one.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

True - he's looking to pass laws or MO to the LETTER of the current law. Am I correct in this assessment?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True - he's looking to pass laws or MO to the LETTER of the current law. Am I correct in this assessment?

Honestly I believe thatt due to his presidential candidacy  he's only looking to make himself appear to be pro gun rights with his announcement and nothing more or less.

I don't expect any real, substantive, changes to the laws.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Honestly I believe thatt due to his presidential candidacy  he's only looking to make himself appear to be pro gun rights with his announcement and nothing more or less.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^^^ THIS!!!!   The timing suggests just what America-first said. Christie is looking for our votes but he won't get mine unless something changes here before the election, if he even gets the nomination.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#7]
FID cards are ok. But I would like to see the one a month rule overturned. Thats horseshit. If I want 3 at a time, I should be allowed to legally buy 3 at a time. Talk about a blatant violation of rights. I dont even know how we let that happen. Purchase permits would be nice to see go by by but never gonna happen. All they can do is enforce whats already there in the 30 day allotment that its supposed to be. Nothing else will change.  What I want to see more then anything is the national right to carry come to fruition. Never will but thats our only hope on turning the tide on NJ carry laws and justifiable need.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a dog and pony show. IMO
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FID cards are ok. But I would like to see the one a month rule overturned. Thats horseshit. If I want 3 at a time, I should be allowed to legally buy 3 at a time. Talk about a blatant violation of rights. I dont even know how we let that happen. Purchase permits would be nice to see go by by but never gonna happen. All they can do is enforce whats already there in the 30 day allotment that its supposed to be. Nothing else will change.  What I want to see more then anything is the national right to carry come to fruition. Never will but thats our only hope on turning the tide on NJ carry laws and justifiable need.
View Quote

AWB
mag limits
"F**k you, you can't carry"
one gun a month
permits for pistols
no "Reasonable deviation" when traveling with a gun
"hollow point ban"

I want those gone.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FID cards are ok. But I would like to see the one a month rule overturned. Thats horseshit. If I want 3 at a time, I should be allowed to legally buy 3 at a time. Talk about a blatant violation of rights. I dont even know how we let that happen. Purchase permits would be nice to see go by by but never gonna happen.
View Quote

I'd actually like to see the opposite.  Leave the 1-gun-a-month (for now), but eliminate the purchase permit.  It's redundant.  Since NJ is already the POC for NICS, they can easily track and enforce the 1-gun-a-month.  Beyond that, everything on the purchase permit is already in your FID.  It's the same background check, and the same check that runs through NICS at the time of purchase.

This was actually proposed by democratic-sponsored legislation - the firearms omnibus bill a couple of years ago.  Of course, that also had FIDs expiring after 5 years, tied in to your driver's license, administered by the DMV...  lots of nonsense.  So, it's possible (in my mind) that we could see an elimination of the purchase permit.  I mean - if you can walk in and buy an AR-15 assault rifle death killing machine, why not a .22 revolver?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AWB
mag limits
one gun a month
permits for pistols
"hollow point ban"

I want those gone.
View Quote

But that's exactly why nothing gets done.  Too many "it's all or nothing...  give me liberty or give me death" types who don't understand the concept of incremental  change - ie. baby steps.  What we have right now is an opportunity - albeit a small one.  Nonetheless, there's the potential to get SOMETHING done.  But it can't be too radical, or it will die in committee.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But that's exactly why nothing gets done.  Too many "it's all or nothing...  give me liberty or give me death" types who don't understand the concept of incremental  change - ie. baby steps.  What we have right now is an opportunity - albeit a small one.  Nonetheless, there's the potential to get SOMETHING done.  But it can't be too radical, or it will die in committee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AWB
mag limits
one gun a month
permits for pistols
"hollow point ban"

I want those gone.

Too sensible a statement for the NJ arfcom crowd, but I applaud and join you in your thinking.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]
who does ? Hillary ?

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

who does ? Hillary ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

who does ? Hillary ?

Quoted:

As a side note, I believe you're supposed to write under the quote bubble.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#15]

The 3 person committee will recommend streamlining to the system. A bill may get drawn up, or it won't. It will either die on the vine, or get laced with anti-rights legislation add-ons. Nothing good will come of it, of that you can be certain. Do any of you believe the anti-rights politicians that are in power in NJ will pass a law easing the restrictions on gun purchases? Are you all mad?

PPP, FPIDs, AWB, OGAM, CCWBAN, and 60-90 day waits are here to stay ladies and gents. The sooner you come to terms with this, and decide whether or not it means enough to you to motivate you move out of the state, the sooner you will be at peace.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The 3 person committee will recommend streamlining to the system. A bill may get drawn up, or it won't. It will either die on the vine, or get laced with anti-rights legislation add-ons. Nothing good will come of it, of that you can be certain. Do any of you believe the anti-rights politicians that are in power in NJ will pass a law easing the restrictions on gun purchases? Are you all mad?

PPP, FPIDs, AWB, OGAM, CCWBAN, and 60-90 day waits are here to stay ladies and gents. The sooner you come to terms with this, and decide whether or not it means enough to you to motivate you move out of the state, the sooner you will be at peace.

View Quote

Too sensible a statement for the NJ arfcom crowd, but I applaud and join you in your thinking.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

HEY!!!  Welcome back!  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

HEY!!!  Welcome back!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HEY!!!  Welcome back!  

DITTO
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AWB
mag limits
one gun a month
permits for pistols
"hollow point ban"

I want those gone.

You've got me pegged wrong, check out my defense of christie in GD
With a username like "Foxnews_FTW" and defending a blue state republican, i'm about to lose a whole lot of internetz-popularity this cycle, all in defense of incrementalism and understanding that a blue state republican governer with a D legislature is much different than say a red state congressman's voting record
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#20]
The fat man is just trying to look pro gun for the national stage.  He has the power to do something without creating a panel, etc, etc.  The State Attorney General can be instructed by the fat man to take action against any town currently violating the 30 day rule.  Hell go after the town that didn't provide the poor woman with a permit within the 30 day window.  Go after one or two towns hard and the rest will conform, hell withhold state aid to any municipality that violates peoples rights.  Take a page from the Obomination's playbook and have your AG go on the attack !
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO? No, Sorry Lion....He's LOOKING to appear electable as a Republican..no more, no less.  EVERYTHING he does is about the political capital..period.     The Vetos?? To piss off the Democrats and piss in their cereal over Bridgegate.  Shaneen Allen, Steffon Josey-Davis, and now this are all Politics in motion...Don;t get me wrong, if something good Comes of it, Outstanding, but im not going to hold my breath.  Remember Brian Aitken...that was a Commutation, not a pardon, and his conviction was a LESSER offense than either Allen or Davis.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because as always the NJ Gun Community is fractional...and a significant number od them are of the "Why on earth would anyone need to buy more than one gun a month" Mindset.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'd actually like to see the opposite.  Leave the 1-gun-a-month (for now), but eliminate the purchase permit.  It's redundant.  Since NJ is already the POC for NICS, they can easily track and enforce the 1-gun-a-month.  Beyond that, everything on the purchase permit is already in your FID.  It's the same background check, and the same check that runs through NICS at the time of purchase.

This was actually proposed by democratic-sponsored legislation - the firearms omnibus bill a couple of years ago.  Of course, that also had FIDs expiring after 5 years, tied in to your driver's license, administered by the DMV...  lots of nonsense.  So, it's possible (in my mind) that we could see an elimination of the purchase permit.  I mean - if you can walk in and buy an AR-15 assault rifle death killing machine, why not a .22 revolver?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FID cards are ok. But I would like to see the one a month rule overturned. Thats horseshit. If I want 3 at a time, I should be allowed to legally buy 3 at a time. Talk about a blatant violation of rights. I dont even know how we let that happen. Purchase permits would be nice to see go by by but never gonna happen.

They already do..they'll deny a handgun NICS if its under the 30 day limit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

^^^^^^ THIS!!!!   The timing suggests just what America-first said. Christie is looking for our votes but he won't get mine unless something changes here before the election, if he even gets the nomination.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has as much chance of getting the nomination as we in NJ (presently) have the right to a CCW
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He has as much chance of getting the nomination as we in NJ (presently) have the right to a CCW
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL I was going to say, Y'all re just a SCOTUS decision away from Carry permits...then i saw the "Presently".   I dont know if they're trying to use him as a Judas' Goat to draw fire from other candidates or what, I find it hard to believe, even knowing him that he's REALLY Arrogant enough to think he has a shot (Not that he ISNT Arrogant mind, just that he's that out of touch) of actually getting the Nomination.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

LOL I was going to say, Y'all re just a SCOTUS decision away from Carry permits...then i saw the "Presently".   I dont know if they're trying to use him as a Judas' Goat to draw fire from other candidates or what, I find it hard to believe, even knowing him that he's REALLY Arrogant enough to think he has a shot (Not that he ISNT Arrogant mind, just that he's that out of touch) of actually getting the Nomination.
View Quote

funny thought: Even if they allowed CCW nationwide, NJ's hollowpoint "ban" would still be here. IIRC you can have it at the range, your house, the store, to and from - and nowhere else.
Would be stuck carrying FMJ
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#27]
CCW will never happen in NJ....ever.  Too many Dems running the state to ever be able to change it even with SCOTUS help which isn't coming in my lifetime
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
CCW will never happen in NJ....ever.  Too many Dems running the state to ever be able to change it even with SCOTUS help which isn't coming in my lifetime
View Quote

Yep. And the NJ Judiciary would ignore the law anyway.  They know better than us citizens.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct.

And those Democrats are kept in office via a vis-à-vis with  NJ public sector unions'  $$$$ "contributions".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top