Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2015 2:25:29 PM EDT
AFAIK, the NJ AWB hasn't changed, but it's been about 10 years since I escaped the PRNJ, so I'm not exactly up on any *new* gun laws that may have been passed.

I'm looking to get an AR for my dad (still behind enemy lines).

The configuration I'm looking to do for NJ compliance:
Permanently attached muzzle brake with no suppressor mounting ability
No bayonet lug
Fixed stock
15rd or less magazines

His one evil feature would be the pistol grip.

As far as legality goes, since we aren't residents of the same state, I can't just give him the rifle as a gift. It would have to go through an FFL which isn't an issue.

Am I missing anything?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Am I missing anything?
View Quote

Nope, you've got it covered.
And a non-threaded muzzle (ie. target crown) will do just as well
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply
View Quote

Windham has a couple of compliant ones and they are the original Bushmaster
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
AFAIK, the NJ AWB hasn't changed, but it's been about 10 years since I escaped the PRNJ, so I'm not exactly up on any *new* gun laws that may have been passed.

Permanently attached muzzle brake with no suppressor mounting ability No bayonet lug
Fixed stock
15rd or less magazines

As far as legality goes, since we aren't residents of the same state, I can't just give him the rifle as a gift. It would have to go through an FFL which isn't an issue.

Am I missing anything?
View Quote

I don't think that is actually specified but it is the intent.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Permanently attached muzzle brake with no suppressor mounting ability No bayonet lug
Fixed stock
15rd or less magazines

Am I missing anything?

Technically any suppressor mount that doesn't use threads (HK 3 lug, Silencerco MAAD, etc..) is legal.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Technically any suppressor mount that doesn't use threads (HK 3 lug, Silencerco MAAD, etc..) is legal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed stock
15rd or less magazines

Am I missing anything?

That's good to know
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's good to know
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed stock
15rd or less magazines

Am I missing anything?

That's good to know

The actual supressor of course is not.  And once the morons in Trenton learn about threadless connectors you can be sure they will be uselessly outlawed as well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#8]
S&w also makes compliant models.  They come with target crown barrels.  Or if u have a spare complete lower lying around, u can either get the stock pinned or get a fixed stock and grab a bcm 14.5 upper with perm attached brake....not that im biased or anything .  Also i think u can send him a complete rifle to his ffl thats not nj awb compliant and the ffl will make it compliant for u.  Not 100% positive but i couldve sworn my lgs was talking to someone over the phone and he mentioned that u can send the rifle in and they'll make it compliant for u.  Please correct me if im wrong....been that a few times before.

Roy
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never heard of a NJ gun store being able to make it legal. I didn't think they could even accept a non AWB compliant firearm into NJ.

I'm pretty sure the specs are going to be:
ST Calico Jack Pictogram Lower
AIM Nitride Essentials LPK
Magpul MOE fixed carbine stock (stealth gray)
Magpul MOE+ grip (stealth gray)
Magpul enhanced trigger guard
Magpul MOE midlength HG (stealth gray)
BUIS ? Thinking MBUS pro or Troy
BCM 14.5" Midlength upper, BCG, CH, RE
Surefire ProComp
ADCO perm attach and remove bayonet lug
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 3:43:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've never heard of a NJ gun store being able to make it legal. I didn't think they could even accept a non AWB compliant firearm into NJ.

Surefire ProComp
View Quote

I have dealt with a couple of stores that do that, An FFl can have it, just can't sell it to an in state person
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Surefire ProComp
View Quote

Nice!!! Pretty much what i got.....
Note...if u decide on the magpul carbine stock, the lop is very similar to a NTCH cheek weld so if ur dad doesnt shoot that way or bordering the line, i would either get the lop extenstion from magpul (fits prs and carbine fixed stock) or another stock with more lop.  
Also...if u get the bcm 14.5 upper, they can only send it to u if u have them pin/weld a brake unless u go thru the nfa.  They also only have a few choices on brakes (bcm, bc, surefire556, fsc556).  But u would still have to send it to adco (or competent gunsmith) to shave off the bayo lug unless u get a freefloated upper.

Roy
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many do, it's very common
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Note...if u decide on the magpul carbine stock, the lop is very similar to a NTCH cheek weld so if ur dad doesnt shoot that way or bordering the line, i would either get the lop extenstion from magpul (fits prs and carbine fixed stock) or another stock with more lop.  
Also...if u get the bcm 14.5 upper, they can only send it to u if u have them pin/weld a brake unless u go thru the nfa.  They also only have a few choices on brakes (bcm, bc, surefire556, fsc556).  But u would still have to send it to adco (or competent gunsmith) to shave off the bayo lug unless u get a freefloated upper.

Roy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surefire ProComp

Roy

NFA isn't an issue for me. I've removed bayonet lugs myself, but it's just easier to have adco do both for me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really cool. Like I said a lot has changed since I left NJ which is why I posted this here. for the most part, I'd buy long guns in PA anyway bc there weren't any decent shops near me. Piss poor selection, high prices, doing you a favor type attitude.

It's nice to know that there are AR15 friendly dealers there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#15]
UPDATE

I ordered a BCM BFH 14.5" middy upper today. I have the SF procomp, Magpul MOE MLOK HG (gray), and Magpul MLOK VFG (gray).

I also picked up a few PMAG ranger plates for the 10rd mags. I can't stand how short the mags look. It throws off the aesthetics for me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
UPDATE
<a href="http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/hellboundAR15/media/test/4A173E82-286B-4472-860C-934D14CF6168_zpsv4shx0gp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z432/hellboundAR15/test/4A173E82-286B-4472-860C-934D14CF6168_zpsv4shx0gp.jpg</a>

I ordered a BCM BFH 14.5" middy upper today. I have the SF procomp, Magpul MOE MLOK HG (gray), and Magpul MLOK VFG (gray).

I also picked up a few PMAG ranger plates for the 10rd mags. I can't stand how short the mags look. It throws off the aesthetics for me.
View Quote

There are places that sell 15rd blocked 20rd and 30rd mags. Finding mag pouches that work well with 10rd mags is always a pain and I have to agree the full length mags are definitely more aesthetically pleasing. Of course the extra 5rds is a huge plus too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm trying to make this as painless as possible for my dad.

When I gave him the stripped lower for Father's Day, it became clear that I take my knowledge of ARs for granted. He had no idea what I gave him. Lol.

I would hate for him to have to explain to an idiot RO or NJSP that his 30rd mags are actually 15s.

I helped my FIL build an AR a few years ago, and local PD at the range told him it was illegal bc of the muzzle brake. Which was identical to the ban era Y-comp that bushmaster used, and nearly every NJ gun store carried.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm trying to make this as painless as possible for my dad.

When I gave him the stripped lower for Father's Day, it became clear that I take my knowledge of ARs for granted. He had no idea what I gave him. Lol.

I would hate for him to have to explain to an idiot RO or NJSP that his 30rd mags are actually 15s.

I helped my FIL build an AR a few years ago, and local PD at the range told him it was illegal bc of the muzzle brake. Which was identical to the ban era Y-comp that bushmaster used, and nearly every NJ gun store carried.
View Quote

Fair enough, that's definitely a valid concern. These are also a great option for 15rd mags: https://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100001593&dir=625|1056|1057
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the link. I'll look into them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Pay no mind to the floral seat cushions

Oh no! The safety is off with an empty magazine loaded and no BCG/CH installed
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks good. I used a surefire brake and the magoul fixed stock one a few of mine. It makes it look less neutered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top