Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2015 11:13:19 PM EDT
Hey all,

This can be a newbie question and/or might have been asked in the past but can't find clear answers for it.

When I got my initial FID years ago, I got a pistol permit at the same time and used it to purchase a sig.  I'm not much of a pistol guy more like a rifle guy.

Recently started to have interest in getting my 2nd handgun and need some info/help before walking into a PD.

What processes are involved? I heard everything such as mental, background check,  2 references and long 90 days + wait time minus the finger print. Is this correct? what am I expecting just to get another pistol permit.

Also while I'm at it, I can apply for 2 permits at the same time?

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Things have changed a little bit, but not much...

You'll fill out another STS-33 application, along with an SP-66 Consent for Mental Health Records.  You'll also need to log in to the NJSP's website, and request an SBI background check.  First, call your local PD, and get their 9-digit ORI number (NJ0xxxx00).  If they ask you what for, tell them it's needed to submit an electronic request for a State Police background check.

(click the links above to download the forms from NJSP's website.  Remember to print two copies of each).

Then, log in to this website: https://www.njportal.com/njsp/criminalrecords/ApplicationRequest/RequestApplication.aspx and submit your request.  It will cost you $20, payable by credit card.  Print out the confirmation, and bring that, your completed STS-33, and your completed (but not yet signed) SP-66.  You have to sign the SP-66 in the presence of a witness, so wait until you get to the PD to do so.  Give them those three things, and you should be all set.

Note - on the electronic form, if you're asked for your SBI number, that's the number on your FID card.

ETA:  Yes, you can apply for more than one.  Fill in the amount of permits you want in the top-right corner of the STS-33 form.  Realistically, you can apply for up to 6 permits at once - as they're good for 90 days, and can be renewed for an additional 90 days.  Since you can acquire one handgun per 30 day period, you can fit 6 purchases within those 180 days.  Remember you'll owe $2 per permit at the time you pick them up.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick response.

So initially I don't need to visit my PD at all to pick up anything?

What about references? Do I fill out their info on SP website or PD does it?

So SP electronic back ground check technically reduces the wait time? Or is it just more like you do online check and still need to wait 90 days +

Thanks again
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You shouldn't have to - those are the only forms they need.  It might be a good idea to check with them anyway, in case they have other "requirements".  For example, my PD recently started "requiring" proof of stated employment.  I asked why, and was told, "well, it's just part of our investigation".  In my opinion, it's an attempt to intimidate applicants with, "we're going to inform your employer that you're buying a gun".  I just give 'em my boss's phone number - "here, call him.  He and I go shooting all the time".

What about references? Do I fill out their info on SP website or PD does it?

You list your two references on the STS-33 form.

So SP electronic back ground check technically reduces the wait time? Or is it just more like you do online check and still need to wait 90 days +

It's supposed to reduce the wait time.  My permits usually run 3-4 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Tom488,

I thank you very much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top