Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2015 3:57:03 PM EDT
Planning on moving to Nj come late May, early June. Before you say 'dont move, rethink your options", I must say that it is inevitable. Im going to work in the family business with my father, and my gf is going to Rutgers law school.

Im currently living in PA, and the gf's fam is from here, so well be making regularly scheduled trips back.

I want to stock up on whatever will be a pain in the ass to get once I move back to NJ. I understand the laws and assault rifle guidlines and whatnot, and plan on making what Ive got NJ legal before I go so dont worry.

What I have now:

Ar
Ak
A pistol or two
I am awaiting an ar10 receiver set that Ill build out down the road. Should be here sometime next week

Im ok on ammo and mags. Ill have to alter and permanently block the pmags and ak mags, so im not too worried.

What I want to get before I move:

At least one stripped ar lower
Ruger 1911
Remington 870

What say you all. What do you not have that you wish you had. If you were in my shoes what would you pick up.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Handguns and lowers
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Handguns and lowers
View Quote

Especially the handguns.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Handguns.  Once you get the FID you can buy lowers and 870s on a whim.  Walking into a store, seeing a pistol you love and knowing you have to wait for a permit to show up blows.  I bought 4 Glocks the month before I moved to NJ.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure your stocks are pinned, you have no bayonet lugs, and you have closed end "flash hiders". And don't have a rifle that says "AR-15" on it.
Plus the pistol dealio.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Make sure your stocks are pinned, you have no bayonet lugs, and you have closed end "flash hiders". And don't have a rifle that says "AR-15" on it.
Plus the pistol dealio.
View Quote

Yes. Thank you for your input. I am well aware of the requirements to make my weapons nj legal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I would buy 10 or 15 round magazines. I'm a bit new to ARs but in my area the local gun shops do not carry these for some reason. They are easier to find at the Oaks gun show than in NJ. Other than that I'd buy pistols, pistols and more pistols.    

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would buy 10 or 15 round magazines. I'm a bit new to ARs but in my area the local gun shops do not carry these for some reason. They are easier to find at the Oaks gun show than in NJ. Other than that I'd buy pistols, pistols and more pistols.    

View Quote

This place sells 15/30 Pmags and will ship to NJ I believe. I have a few pistols and just picked another glock up about two weeks ago. Also considering a new Ruger 1911  right now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Planning on moving to Nj come late May, early June. Before you say 'dont move, rethink your options", I must say that it is inevitable. Im going to work in the family business with my father, and my gf is going to Rutgers law school.

Im currently living in PA, and the gf's fam is from here, so well be making regularly scheduled trips back. ...

What say you all. What do you not have that you wish you had. If you were in my shoes what would you pick up.

View Quote

CLASS 3
(To leave in PA, of course)
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The only thing you should focus on is moving out of NJ....
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for reading the OP...
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still good advice
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

sounds vaguely familiar....

youdaguy with the father who built the very successful financial something bidness based in NJ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Im going to work in the family business

youdaguy with the father who built the very successful financial something bidness based in NJ?

Masonry
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Masonry
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Masonry

Focus on building 30' walls around Newark, Jersey City and Camden.  No particular order, except my vote goes toward Camden (it's closest).
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Masonry
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Masonry

Like cement shoes and brick coffins?

Just klidding, don't move to NJ.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Focus on building 30' walls around Newark, Jersey City and Camden.  No particular order, except my vote goes toward Camden (it's closest).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Masonry

Lol
I second that.
And a mine field 300 yards wide around that wall.
And no Cadillacs with chandeliers on the fenders left inside.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, so I have a spot all picked out at this point, now Im waiting to autograpgh a lease with my SO. Tell me this nj hometown forum, how difficult is it to obtain my FPID. Ive read 30 days- 1 year and that the time it take varies on municipality. Shoiuld I have my attorney on call
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok, so I have a spot all picked out at this point, now Im waiting to autograpgh a lease with my SO. Tell me this nj hometown forum, how difficult is it to obtain my FPID. Ive read 30 days- 1 year and that the time it take varies on municipality. Shoiuld I have my attorney on call
View Quote

For a recent move, it will take even longer.  I would expect 6 months.  Need to change your DL, as those two address have to match.

Your attorney will not able to do anything, except take your money
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#21]
A DL is simple to obtain and should not take long. Why would a recent move have any impact on the time it takes if I have established residency.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A DL is simple to obtain and should not take long. Why would a recent move have any impact on the time it takes if I have established residency.
View Quote

I don't know if there is a real answer to that question but it just seems to be the case. I know in my own town that you get pistol permits a lot faster if it is not your first one.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Im currently living in PA, and the gf's fam is from here, so well be making regularly scheduled trips back.

I want to stock up on whatever will be a pain in the ass to get once I move back to NJ. I understand the laws and assault rifle guidlines and whatnot, and plan on making what Ive got NJ legal before I go so dont worry.

What I have now:

Ar
Ak
A pistol or two
I am awaiting an ar10 receiver set that Ill build out down the road. Should be here sometime next week

Im ok on ammo and mags. Ill have to alter and permanently block the pmags and ak mags, so im not too worried.

What I want to get before I move:

At least one stripped ar lower
Ruger 1911
Remington 870

View Quote

Move your legal residence to PA at her place let her keep residence in NJ.  You can still buy fun stuff and keep it in PA.  Just bring NJ stuff to NJ.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Moving out of NJ back to North West Indiana.  Looking for a starter home in Cinnaminson ?  Oh yea dont move here not sure if anyone mentioned it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on the PD you have to go through.  There are still some good ol' boys that respect your time, like guns themselves and get things done quickly.  NJSP hasn't seemed very motivated the last few times I had to go through them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Welcome to the Peoples Republic of New Jersey !!............good luck
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:41:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Masonry

You forgot Hoboken, Weehawken, Union City, North Bergen, Paterson.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Masonry

Baby steps, don't want to scare him away.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Just scooped up a Mega Maten and 2 AR stripped lowers. Now Im lookin at 1911s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top