Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2014 11:05:00 AM EDT
How does it work in this state, or do I not want to know?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out GSD Coatings in Keyport. You might not even have to ship it if you'e close enough.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks will look into them. Any experience?

Still curious how shipping a firearm out for "modification" would work in NJ
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:31:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still curious how shipping a firearm out for "modification" would work in NJ
View Quote

Well, as we know, in NJ, possession of a handgun without a permit to carry is generally illegal, and only made legal through various narrowly-tailored exemptions.  There is no exemption for "transporting to a common carrier for delivery to a place of repair".  There is an exemption for "transport to/from a place of repair, for the purpose of repair".

While one might be able to make an argument that transporting a pistol to UPS or FedEx, with the intent of shipping it to a place of repair, is covered by the exemption - I wouldn't want to bet the farm (or 3.5 years of my life, or my 2A rights) on it.

What I did, when I had to send a Springfield XDs back for a recall, was to pack it up and call FedEx for a pickup.  That way, I never left my property with the firearm.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:50:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Smart idea. In getting the firearm back, I'd assume it'd have to go through an ffl? Would there be a background check?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#5]
GSD is GTG!  

They have done four for me and there is a thread somewhere in this forum where a few others discuss work done. I doubt you can get a better deal after shipping fees anywhere else, let alone have the same turn around time. Not to mention supporting a NJ gun friendly business!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
What are you getting coated?  If it's the slide you can ship it anywhere without any issues. If it's the slide you can drop it off at the "Bloods painting, tagging and coatings" without any issues.
If you want the frame - the part with the serial number - done then you have to be mindful where you send it. You can send a firearm to a gunsmith with an FFL or manufacturer for repair or customazation. You send it to them. They send it back to you.  You can not send, or drop off, a serial numbered part if the other party involved does not have legal authority to posess that firearm.
If there is a nearby shop you can bring your gun and stay there with it while the work is completed; by leaving it you will have illegally transferred the gun.
I had a barrel creakoted by Backwoods Custom Coatings somewhere here in NJ. Since it was just the barrel I sent it to him without any problems.  The work was good and I believe he will let a customer hang out while the work is done.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Smart idea. In getting the firearm back, I'd assume it'd have to go through an ffl? Would there be a background check?
View Quote

If you ship a gun to a manufacturer for repair, they can send it back directly to you without going through an FFL.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the tip on GSD.
Been thinking about doing a rifle.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check out GSD Coatings in Keyport. You might not even have to ship it if you'e close enough.
View Quote

I used these folks . They did my CZ 455 .22 Varmit. It came out beautiful.

I would use them again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top