Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2014 1:09:04 AM EDT
Does anyone else think that some asshole politician will put their name on a bill to extend the red light camera program? As it stands, the "trial" period ends December 15, 2014. I don't think that date can get here fast enough. NO one, and I mean NO ONE, can convince me that the program is about safety and not the money. If it was about safety they could lower our property taxes with the money they collected. I don't care if it's only $100 a year, it would be something. My town is 22 square miles and we have at least 6 cameras that I know of. I was just told by a town official that they collected over $2 million since the cameras went up. That is a shitload of free cash!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone else think that some asshole politician will put their name on a bill to extend the red light camera program? As it stands, the "trial" period ends December 15, 2014. I don't think that date can get here fast enough. NO one, and I mean NO ONE, can convince me that the program is about safety and not the money. If it was about safety they could lower our property taxes with the money they collected. I don't care if it's only $100 a year, it would be something. My town is 22 square miles and we have at least 6 cameras that I know of. I was just told by a town official that they collected over $2 million since the cameras went up. That is a shitload of free cash  extortion.
View Quote

fify
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Coming from a country littered with traffic cameras I have no problem with them. If it deters drivers from jumping red lights and trying to kill me then they've done their job.

That's just my opinion, protected by your 1st Amendment which I am thankful for. Am also partial to your 2nd.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Coming from a country littered with traffic cameras I have no problem with them. If it deters drivers from jumping red lights and trying to kill me then they've done their job.

That's just my opinion, protected by your 1st Amendment which I am thankful for. Am also partial to your 2nd.
View Quote

The other side of the coin is the whole sacrificing freedom for security issue,  which is a concept that am not a fan of.  To each his own and all that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well then you won't have a problem when they install speed cams on the turnpike, parkway etc...this way speeders won't crash into you when you are traveling.
Come to think of it, it would be a good idea to install some cameras on the street where your house is - you know, if a goblin decides to target your house
for a robbery, home invasion etc... the cops will race to your house to save you. See where this is going? Is the country you came from communist? I am
first gen 'merican and my family DID come from a communist country. ANY type of surveillance by the .gov for whatever reason is highly suspect by yours truly.
My town in NNJ has a shit ton of cops that can keep the streets in check - yet we too have a few of those fucking red light cams.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
My homeland has average speed cameras (clever cameras that take image a mile apart and calculate overall speed) on many major highways. Of course everyone was up in arms about them and set fire to them, cut them down etc when first launched but in the end we all realised that slowering traffic to 50mph when it's bumper to bumper actually made traffic move faster overall and we got home quicker.

However now I am here I do respect NJ laws and drive like an asshole
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

However now I am here I do respect NJ laws and drive like an asshole
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Call the program what it really is. The Red Light Scamera Program. You don't think this hasn't happened here too?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/08/feds-red-light-camera-firm-paid-for-chicago-officials-car-condo-and-more/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top