Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2014 10:49:43 PM EDT
If there is a crime on my block and you need to see my camera footage, please ask!  If I knew there was a crime, I would be saving all of that video for the police to help protect my neighbors and their property.  I am a NY resident, but expect this to spread far and wide.
If it does creep into NY, all my cameras will be hidden (High Resolution Pinhole Cameras).  Would cost me a few $$$, but well worth it!

Bill

Registration requires...
• The name of the camera owner;
• The owner’s address and phone number;
• The street address where the camera is installed;
• The number of cameras;
• Identification of the outdoor areas recorded by the camera;
• How the footage is stored or saved.

Up to a $100.00 fine for NOT registering.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/11/17/new-jersey-lawmakers-mull-private-surveillance-camera-registration-requirement/

NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — Video surveillance cameras are almost everywhere you look these days, and more and more people are installing them as security measures at their businesses and homes.

But as CBS2’s Alice Gainer reported Monday, a proposed bill in New Jersey could require residents to register their private surveillance cameras with local police.

Most store owners said they like the idea, but many homeowners expressed worry that the move would amount to an invasion of privacy.

Law enforcement and sponsors of the bill said the measure has nothing to do with privacy and is all about saving lives. They pointed to the recent use of surveillance video that helped to locate a Philadelphia woman who had been kidnapped.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have cameras in my car front and back...

Would I have to register them as well?

RW3

Police Officer: License, Insurance, Registration AND the registration for that car camera.
Anything to make a buck!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the FBI ask me about the cameras we have at work a few years ago.  They only asked about the ones pointed towards the public and roads.  They asked the same questions.   How many, where are they facing and how long they record for?  I haven't heard anything since then.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If there is a crime on my block and you need to see my camera footage, please ask!  If I knew there was a crime, I would be saving all of that video for the police to help protect my neighbors and their property.  I am a NY resident, but expect this to spread far and wide.
If it does creep into NY, all my cameras will be hidden (High Resolution Pinhole Cameras).  Would cost me a few $$$, but well worth it!

Bill

Registration requires...
• The name of the camera owner;
• The owner’s address and phone number;
• The street address where the camera is installed;
• The number of cameras;
• Identification of the outdoor areas recorded by the camera;
• How the footage is stored or saved.

Up to a $100.00 fine for NOT registering.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/11/17/new-jersey-lawmakers-mull-private-surveillance-camera-registration-requirement/

NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — Video surveillance cameras are almost everywhere you look these days, and more and more people are installing them as security measures at their businesses and homes.

But as CBS2’s Alice Gainer reported Monday, a proposed bill in New Jersey could require residents to register their private surveillance cameras with local police.

Most store owners said they like the idea, but many homeowners expressed worry that the move would amount to an invasion of privacy.

Law enforcement and sponsors of the bill said the measure has nothing to do with privacy and is all about saving lives. They pointed to the recent use of surveillance video that helped to locate a Philadelphia woman who had been kidnapped.
View Quote

Whenever NJ LE and legislature start talking about saving lives, the hair on the back of my neck stands up, and I start to feel my rights being infringed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Several bad things instantly came to mind when I herd about this proposed law. First, Big Brother and the loss of more rights. Second, illegal search and seizure - as in no search warrant for YOUR video. Third, still under the illegal search - they come in our home and poke their nosy ass around. Grant it there is nothing for them to find but it is just the idea of how they will abuse their power.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
they can line up and suck my dick. my cameras are private property, that oversees my private property.

they should have to register to be the assholes that they are.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Couldn't the footage be subpoenaed anyway?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#11]
It is a very slippery slope, But a friend was charged with Domestic Violence and rape of an ex gf. Her video cameras cleared him and got her arrested as it was her ex husband that did it and she covered for him
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]
the way I see it is FUCK THEM. I have to jump through hoops for everything, then they do too.

that being said, if a neighbor asks nicely for a certain timeframe of footage on DVD, I have no problem. they usually leave beer by my garage if they ask.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I need to get some preban cameras soon
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I need to get some preban cameras soon
View Quote

LOL

make sure they don't have that piece that goes up.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:45:16 AM EDT
[#18]
The pre-bans have night vision, a big concern is infringing on the criminals right to ply their trade
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#19]
During the Boston bombing I remember they were using private security footage to follow the bombers on the sidewalk.

They went and looked for cameras, when they found them they asked for the footage.  It worked just fine.

So why do we need registration?  What benefit would it be?  

It seems like the only benefit it could be to them is when they turn the registration into permission for them to use it even against the will of the owner.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#20]
This is NJ they like to control our lives
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Simple...  they want to know where the cameras are, so they know to disable them first, before committing any civil rights atrocities.  Nothing worse than them showing up on Youtube, and raising all kinds of ruckus.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
During the Boston bombing I remember they were using private security footage to follow the bombers on the sidewalk.

They went and looked for cameras, when they found them they asked for the footage.  It worked just fine.

It seems like the only benefit it could be to them is when they turn the registration into permission for them to use it even against the will of the owner.
View Quote

Good point.  If something like Boston bombing happened here, I would think the FBI would ask every business regardless of who registered and what they registered.  Now will some businesses say no even if they do have cameras for fear of being fined.  So instead of helping, it would make it harder for the FBI.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Its always this "it will save lives" bullshit. Sure they saved that ONE girl a few weeks ago from Philly but what about the other what is it? 50 others who get kidnapped that same day and don't get saved? Its a slippery slope because we all know these things get out of hand and get abused.

I'd vote no but then again I'm just a peasant living in freaking New Germany, oh excuse me, I mean New Jersey.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Simple...  they want to know where the cameras are, so they know to disable them first, before committing any civil rights atrocities.  Nothing worse than them showing up on Youtube, and raising all kinds of ruckus.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo! These guys know the public is waking up to filming these jack boot thugs. They just don't want to get caught.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top