Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2014 10:34:22 AM EDT
Hey guys, I was hoping that folks here could help educate me with regard to possession of ammunition in NJ and maybe even point me to relevant statutes. I am particularly interested in knowing whether or when HP/JHP is legal or illegal to possess. Whether it's illegal to posses or only when possessed during a commission of a crime.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I was hoping that folks here could help educate me with regard to possession of ammunition in NJ and maybe even point me to relevant statutes. I am particularly interested in knowing whether or when HP/JHP is legal or illegal to possess. Whether it's illegal to posses or only when possessed during a commission of a crime.

Thanks guys.
View Quote

It is only legal to possess HP ammo inside your home, on the range, or going DIRECTLY from your home to range and back.  Other than that, its illegal.  I think just having ammo in your car when not on the way to the range is illegal in general, regardless of ammo type.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Correct.  As with possession of handguns, possession of hollow-points is GENERALLY PROHIBITED, and only legal by exemption.  The specific statute:

2C:39-3f(1) - Prohibited weapons and devices - Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets
Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dumdum bullet [...] is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree
View Quote

So - that's our base line...  possession of hollow nose bullets is illegal.  If you are engaged in activities pursuant to 2C:39-6f (going to/from a range, to/from a place of hunting, or actually engaged in hunting), then possession is legal.

There is also a specific exemption in 2C:39-3g, stating:

Nothing in subsection f.(1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land
View Quote

So - what does all this mean?  It means...  legal to purchase, and transport directly to your home.  Legal to possess in your home.  Legal to transport directly to/from a range.  Legal to transport directly to/from a place of hunting.  NOT legal to leave in your car while you go shopping.

I have no idea where the myth of, "it's only illegal during the commission of a crime" or, "it's just an add-on charge to another crime" came from.  Clearly, from reading the statutes above, it's a stand-alone offense.  Note, also - that the crime specifies "bullets" - not "ammunition".  That means even a keychain made with an HP projectile (no power, no primer...  not loaded ammo) is illegal.

Cone256 - it is not illegal to possess non-HP ammo anywhere.  Driving around with a box of FMJ's in your trunk is perfectly fine.  The only statute on possession of ammunition is the above, relating only to hollow-point ammunition.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#3]
So for example, if a hiker who CCWd in PA mailed his piece home before crossing into NJ but did not mail his JHP home, the possession of the ammunition would not be legal as I understand the law.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So for example, if a hiker who CCWd in PA mailed his piece home before crossing into NJ but did not mail his JHP home, the possession of the ammunition would not be legal as I understand the law.
View Quote

Unless you can prove you're hunting or hiking to a range

ETA:  Our state sucks.  We know
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys for your help and Tom488 thanks for putting me into the statute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top