Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2014 6:04:51 PM EDT
My father & mother have recently moved from Georgia to NJ to commute to work in Manhattan... My father wants an AR-15 and I want to build him one as a gift to add to his collection of lever style rifles and shotguns. I've glanced over the "Important NJ Thread" and the specificly outlawed list. From what I've gathered anything named Colt or Bushmaster is out of the question. What if I wanted to build him a rifle with a Spikes, BCM, MEGA, PSA, Daniel Defense, ADCOR, etc. etc. lower receiver for his birthday/wedding anniversary gift?

Is a 16" barrel legal? Is a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached muzzle device allowed? Is there anything else I need to know before I build this rifle for my father to stay legal? I appreciate your help fellas...
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
16" barrel is legal as long as it doesn't have threads on the muzzle or you pin/weld a break or compensator on the threads, no flash hiders allowed. As far as I know a shorter barrel pinned/welded to 16" should be legal as well, but same rules apply, no flash hiders. Also no mags over 15 rounds and fixed stocks only (or pinned collapsible I believe). Any no Bayonet lugs. I'm sure someone will jump in if any of this is incorrect.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
From what I've gathered anything named Colt or Bushmaster is out of the question.
View Quote

Only the Bushmaster Assault Rifle (no longer made) and the Colt AR-15 are banned by name.  Other models, such as the Colt Match Target, or the Bushmaster XM15, are legal.  I've bought several of each from NJ gun stores.  No issues there.

Is a 16" barrel legal? Is a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached muzzle device allowed?
View Quote

Yes, and yes - so long as the muzzle device is a brake, and not a flash suppressor.  If you want to be safe, go with a 16" barrel with a target crown.

Is there anything else I need to know before I build this rifle for my father to stay legal?
View Quote

The stock needs to be fixed.  Either a traditional A2 stock, or an M4-style collapsible stock that's been pinned in place so that it can not be adjusted.
No bayonet lug.  If you use a FSB with a bayo lug, cut it off.  And, of course, no magazines over 15 round capacity.  Plenty of options out there for 15-round mags.

As you are a GA resident, you will need to transfer the rifle to your father through an FFL.  Your father will need to have an NJ Firearms ID card before he can take possession of the rifle.  I'm assuming that if he recently moved, he doesn't have one.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Only the Bushmaster Assault Rifle (no longer made) and the Colt AR-15 are banned by name.  Other models, such as the Colt Match Target, or the Bushmaster XM15, are legal.  I've bought several of each from NJ gun stores.  No issues there.

Yes, and yes - so long as the muzzle device is a brake, and not a flash suppressor.  If you want to be safe, go with a 16" barrel with a target crown.

The stock needs to be fixed.  Either a traditional A2 stock, or an M4-style collapsible stock that's been pinned in place so that it can not be adjusted.
No bayonet lug.  If you use a FSB with a bayo lug, cut it off.  And, of course, no magazines over 15 round capacity.  Plenty of options out there for 15-round mags.

As you are a GA resident, you will need to transfer the rifle to your father through an FFL.  Your father will need to have an NJ Firearms ID card before he can take possession of the rifle.  I'm assuming that if he recently moved, he doesn't have one.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I've gathered anything named Colt or Bushmaster is out of the question.

Is a 16" barrel legal? Is a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached muzzle device allowed?

Is there anything else I need to know before I build this rifle for my father to stay legal?

Thank you Tom488 and TJ0116. Both your posts are exactly what I'm talking about. Especially this: "As you are a GA resident, you will need to transfer the rifle to your father through an FFL.  Your father will need to have an NJ Firearms ID card before he can take possession of the rifle.  I'm assuming that if he recently moved, he doesn't have one."

Tom, can my father even have his revolver and semi-auto's pistol's up there right now without applying for this NJ Firearms ID card??? I have all his firearms right now in my safe. My mom and pops are driving down in a month and he as any of us would... wants to take his pistols with him. Other than the type of ammunition he cannot carry/take with him: He/we already know all he can have and or carry is ball or EFMJ ammo, can he have his pistols without registering them on a NJ firearms card? I'm new to all of the restrictions since living in GA, FL, and TN all my life. I really appreciate all of your help...
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes he can have his revolver and semi-auto handguns without the FID. He will need to get one to purchase ammunition in the state of NJ. The semi-autos can't have magazines that hold moe than 15 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:47:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tom, can my father even have his revolver and semi-auto's pistol's up there right now without applying for this NJ Firearms ID card???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Tom, can my father even have his revolver and semi-auto's pistol's up there right now without applying for this NJ Firearms ID card???

NJ Statute 2C:39-6e, in talking about situations that do NOT apply to the unlawful possession of firearms, states, "Nothing [...] shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping or carrying about his place of residence any firearm".  One does not need an FID to possess firearms in the home.  One needs an FID to acquire a rifle or shotgun, and needs a permit to purchase a handgun to acquire a handgun.

I have all his firearms right now in my safe. My mom and pops are driving down in a month and he as any of us would... wants to take his pistols with him.

I think I initially misunderstood you.  My understanding now is that your father currently resides in NJ, but you still have his firearms down in GA.  He wants to come down, get them, and bring them back home with him to NJ.

That may stretch the exemption in the law about transporting firearms from one residence to another while moving.  It could be argued either way.  However, the same portion of the law, specifically 2C:39-6f, permits transporting firearms to and from a place of target shooting.  Simply go somewhere while he's down in GA, fire off a few rounds, and he's now transporting his firearms from a place of target shooting back to his residence.

2C:39-6g states that, "All weapons being transported under 2C:39-6e or 2C:39-6f must be unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case or locked in the trunk of the vehicle, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances"

That last part is important... no unnecessary deviations from traveling directly to the new residence in NJ. Stopping for fuel is reasonable. Stopping for the restroom is reasonable. Stopping for lunch is not. Stopping to visit Aunt Suzie on the way is not.

Other than the type of ammunition he cannot carry/take with him: He/we already know all he can have and or carry is ball or EFMJ ammo, can he have his pistols without registering them on a NJ firearms card? I'm new to all of the restrictions since living in GA, FL, and TN all my life. I really appreciate all of your help...

You mentioned carrying.  If that's in reference to "carrying a handgun", that is absolutely illegal.  Other than transporting it unloaded and cased or locked as discussed above, there shall be NO CARRYING of any handgun at all, without first obtaining a NJ permit to CARRY a handgun.  Such permits are almost NEVER issued, and the chances of being approved for one are somewhere between getting struck by lightning, and finding the cure for cancer in your medicine cabinet.

You are basically correct about the "no hollow point" thing.  HP ammo is legal to possess in NJ in your home, and legal to transport from a place of purchase to your home, but is NOT legal to transport from one residence to another while moving (as stupid as that sounds).  However, if he wants to have some self defense ammo with him, he can buy it from you down in GA (write him up a bill of sale), then he's simply transporting the ammunition from a place or purchase (your house) back to his home.

There is no requirement for a resident moving in to the state with his firearms to register them.  NJ does offer a "voluntary registration", which is complete horseshit, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would ever want to do that.  Since it's voluntary, we're going to pretend it doesn't even exist.

I listed some of the state statutes above.  I'd encourage you to look them up and read them (much like the rule on swimming, I wouldn't do this within 30 minutes of eating, less you were to puke up your lunch) - particularly 2C:39-3 (discusses prohibited weapons and devices, including hollow-point ammunition, knives, and slingshots [yes, slingshots]), 2C:39-5 (unlawful possession of weapons), and 2C:39-6 (exemptions to the above).

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Tom448; thank you so much for your very thorough response. This has helped me tremendously and I'm going to forward this page to my dad and especially the statues. I really appreciate your help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top