Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2014 8:55:29 AM EDT
I have to say that this has been the worst year for my Garden in years...

I have so many Tomato plants that just didn't want to produce this year...

Most of my Big Boys and Cherry Tomatoes are still green...

How did your Garden do this Summer?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#2]
i only did strawberries.  I think I had about 40 plants.  They were just about to turn red and then the deer ate them.  Everything.  Just little green twigs coming out of the ground.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't bother, stupid Atlantic City Expressway construction chased te ground hogs my way. I have t get the traps out. I was hoping that the GSD would aquire a taste for them, so far he only chases and eats rabbits,
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#4]
So far my garden has produced plenty of tomatoes, butter nut squash, parsley, basil, cucumber, etc. Almost time to jar tomatoes, and peppers for the winter.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I am thinking about a Fresh Tech canner. Doesn't seem to do a lot, but I am looking for effortless tomato canning. A friend uses her crock put full of quartered tomatoes. She slow cooks them while she is at work, Then a Foley strainer and can a couple of jars.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The weeds were awesome this year
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bobby how did your apiary fair this year?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Honeybees are doing great, no winter losses and 200 pounds of honey to show for.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Honeybees are doing great, no winter losses and 200 pounds of honey to show for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was looking into beekeeping.  Any pointers/tips
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]
My herbs all did great but they are weeds, they always do.  MY strawberries got eaten by the deer that my wife won't let me kill.  Cucumbers all died.  Tomatoes and peppers did well.   Green beans did very well.   Jalepenos and zucchinis didn't give nearly as much as usual. ....rasberries and blueberries are same story
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a few ways to approach this as a beginner, contact www.njbeekeepers.org for your local branch, attend a meeting and find a mentor., OR sign up for a beekeepers class at Rutgers Agri. extension office
online, classes are usually in South Brunswick ( Rt. 1 ) to get you started, OR buy a book or two on the subject, there's literally hundreds to choose from, OR if you live in South Jersey, I can help you out or a Friend
of mine can too. It is best to have an experienced Beek as we're called to mentor you. Beekeeping does have a learning curve, I have been in it for 10 years and still much to learn, I call it a " Practice ".

There is also beekeeper forums and blogs online.

IM me and I will send you my email, also give me your location as I may know a Beek in your area.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine did great.  I tilled the soil, put down a whole bunch of Miracle Grow Potting Soil and every other week sprayed with MG plant food.  We have days where we pull 10/20 tomatoes off the vine. String beans have been great. Bell peppers and jalapeño peppers are abundant. Zucchini, squash and eggplant have been good. This year there is a big black snake in the garden who is eating the moles and other rodents. Mr. Turtle has eaten an eggplant or two.
Tomato Horn worms have also been plentiful; but a cup of hot soapy water kills them almost instantly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I'm going to build raised beds this fall/winter.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Dam medic. ...u got all the same stuff I have and I barely got shit this year. ... last year was great tho
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I got tomatoes, basil, cilantro, lettuce, thai basil, string beans, stubby cucumbers, bok choi, small bell peppers, kale, mustard, arugula...

Could not get my jalapenos and scorpion peppers going fast enough...

Had some blight issues with tomatoes too...baking soda/soap treatment...
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#17]
What's the baking soda/soap treatment?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top