Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 5:18:31 AM EDT
Just curious if the new ruling in DC will honor Non Resident CCW Permits for NJ Residents.

Does anyone have any further info on this Court Ruling?

I have my Non Resident Florida Permit.... And I would love to be able to carry when I take the Family there to visit the museums.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a lot of questions still unanswered right now. The city council is undoubtedly working as fast as they can to draft the CCW regulations so most likely it's all going to change in the next few days. Right now it sounds like anything goes though, FL non-resident CCW should be good according to the statement by the chief of police this morning that they are not going to arrest any non-residents on "gun charges".
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The Family and I don't plan on visiting DC until the Fall...

It sure would be nice to be able to carry while we are there.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

What range will you be first transporting your handgun to, outside of NJ, to make the transportation within NJ legal?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I believe Tom488 is bringing to the forefront that according to NJ handgun laws and the LEGAL transportation of a handgun one MUST have a range, perhaps FFL that one can claim and "prove" if necessary if/when stopped in NJ along the way to said "recognized" location/task.

Yes, Tom?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What range will you be first transporting your handgun to, outside of NJ, to make the transportation within NJ legal?

I believe Tom488 is bringing to the forefront that according to NJ handgun laws and the LEGAL transportation of a handgun one MUST have a range, perhaps FFL that one can claim and "prove" if necessary if/when stopped in NJ along the way to said "recognized" location/task.

Yes, Tom?

the NRA range is very close to DC
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, Tom?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes, Tom?

Si.  

From the NJSP web site:

Procedures for Investigation of Conduct Involving the Possession or Transportation of Firearms

A.  An officer who reasonably suspects that a person is transporting a firearm in violation of New Jersey law should make reasonable inquiries in order to confirm or dispel that suspicion.

B.  In a case where circumstances reasonably indicate that the person's possession and transportation of the firearms my be permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, the officer should make reasonable inquiries in order to determine whether the person's possession is permitted by that federal law.

C.  If reasonable inquiries lead an officer to conclude that the person's possession is lawful under either New Jersey law or 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, the officer should promptly allow the person to proceed.

D.  Whenever an officer has probable cause to believe that a person's possession of a firearm is in violation of New Jersey law and not permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, then the officer should make an arrest.

Meaning - if stopped (or involved in an accident, checkpoint, or other act of randomness that reveals to a LEO that you are in possession of a handgun), be prepared to be able to explain your LAWFUL possession of same.  Lawful in the eyes of the narrow exemptions that NJ provides for possession, that is.  That means (for the most part), transporting directly to a target range.

If one were to say, "I'm headed down to Fairfax, VA to go to the NRA range", that would be sufficient (IMO).  Just make sure it's not a Tuesday (range is closed).  Coming back could be a little more problematic, as they might ask for proof that you were actually at the range.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't the federal transportation law kick in once leaving the state?  And since federal law trumps state law....you're good when leaving the state
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Doesn't the federal transportation law kick in once leaving the state?  And since federal law trumps state law....you're good when leaving the state
View Quote

I always assumed to be the case. FOPA- legal possesion where I started, legal possesion at destination, stored correctly for all states in between. NJ laws dont mean anything once you leave the state. I really doubt that a case revolving around bringing my property out of state would hold up to any scrutiny in court.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#11]
It's moot now. A stay was issued.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2014/07/29/stay-granted-in-washington-dc-carry-case-n1871693
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:45:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Shocked, shocked I tell you.

View Quote

You Guys crack me up with this CCW stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top