Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 2:49:47 AM EDT
I tried looking in the refinishing forum first... Then GD Forum....But couldn't find my answer.

I have a Colt M16A1 upper in the Old Colt Gray that I would like to Duracoat in Black to match a new Bushmaster Lower Receiver that I have.

Can someone tell me what color black I should purchase to have the closest match to the Lower.

I really don't want to paint the Lower if I can Help it....Just the upper.

I can't hot link but here are the black color choices that I found.

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_blacks.html

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mbdolfin
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:16:08 AM EDT
[#1]
It's tough to say because anodizing varies a bit from different manufacturers, which is why it's not uncommon to have lowers and uppers that are slightly different in color. If I had to guess I think "matte black" would probably be the closest.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's tough to say because anodizing varies a bit from different manufacturers, which is why it's not uncommon to have lowers and uppers that are slightly different in color. If I had to guess I think "matte black" would probably be the closest.
View Quote

Thanks Mako...

Looks like I will give the Matte Black Duracoat Color a Try...

Unless I can find a Used Bushmaster A1 Upper for sale without the barrel.... I have been searching the web for a while now with no luck.

I am busting at the seams to put this rifle together.... This will be a rifle I am piecing together from left over parts that I have collected over the years.

I already have a Very Minty A1 Rifle with a Colt 1/12 twist barrel.

I just want to piece together this other A1 configured rifle for a beater gun to use at the range...

This one will have a 1/9 twist barrel.

Thanks,  Mbdolfin

Mbdolfin
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not duracoat the lower grey to match the upper? The Colt upper will always be worth more than the Bushmaster lower.

Quoted:

Thanks Mako...

Unless I can find a Used Bushmaster A1 Upper for sale without the barrel.... I have been searching the web for a while now with no luck.

I am busting at the seams to put this rifle together.... This will be a rifle I am piecing together from left over parts that I have collected over the years.

I just want to piece together this other A1 configured rifle for a beater gun to use at the range...

Thanks,  Mbdolfin

Mbdolfin
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Mako...

Thanks,  Mbdolfin

Mbdolfin
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I used a Matte Black Duracoat kit from Lauer to cover a welded brake and it matched the anodizing on my RRA upper and lower, just not the parkerizing on the barrel itself
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#5]
You will not get it to match.  Even if the shade is very close, the finish will be different and the upper and lower will reflect light differently.  I tried it and failed.  I ended up rattle canning both the stripped upper and lower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top