Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2014 11:12:09 PM EDT
Applied for 3 New pistol permits in Manalapan.............tick tock........the timer starts
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Three!  What pistols you plan getting? :-)
I've already got two pistols but thinking of getting another permit to get a .380.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Applied for 3 New pistol permits in Manalapan.............tick tock........the timer starts
View Quote

Did you have to do the online 212A form, or is your dept. still using the yellow paper form?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
From offer to closing on my house in PA was 42 days, I am curious as to which process takes longer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes I had to do the online form. .. and I always get 3.... even if I plan on one,  I still always get my 3 and buy 1 every 30 days. .... even if I don't want or need it.....precious commodity
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you start getting annoyed with the wait.....just remember it could be worse....I just dropped mine off at NJSP....haven't even started saving $$ for the guns yet because I know how slow they are
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From offer to closing on my house in PA was 42 days, I am curious as to which process takes longer.
View Quote

NJSP took about 5 months for my last set of pistol permits.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pistol permits in NJ most certainly take longer....then again, I have escaped and not only no longer need to concern myself with those pesky things, I have already gotten my CCW, which can be used at retail point of sale in lieu of NICS
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, NJSP took 5 months IIRC to issue me a new FOID after I moved last.  Never again.

I feel better knowing that if I had any money I could just walk in and buy something over here.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine has been going on for quite a while but I didn't know I was supposed to request my own background check from the NJSP on their web site.

So basically my local 5 0 was waiting on NJSP response that was not forthcoming. Fvcking ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Just got the call that my ID Change of address and 2 pistol permits are completed. 58 days total, or 42 business days (because PD's are not doing paperwork on Sundays).

But thats up in Cranford, so no real help to the OP.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Still waiting. ..... For some reason it says on the township site that no new permits will be issued before until after aug 19th.....I hope mine comes then. .... itching to get the new ar pistol and take it to the range,  the gunsmith modded it for nj legalities already so just waiting on this paperwork
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Still waiting ......... ugh
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:12:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Took my reference 4 times to mail it out before they got it and now all of a sudden they tell me i gotta do the background check ONLINE instead if the usual paper i fill out and hand in. 3 months later...
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't get y it takes so long if nothing has changed. ....this is my 3rd set of permits from this town,  and an address change......in 3 yrs ive only been able to get 8 permits and an addrss change.   Wtf, im entitled to 1 purchase per month.  We don't even abide by our own laws? !?!?!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes I had to do the online form. .. and I always get 3.... even if I plan on one,  I still always get my 3 and buy 1 every 30 days. .... even if I don't want or need it.....precious commodity
View Quote

It will be interesting to see if this is challenged. In CA a mere 10 waiting period was ruled unconstitutional. We can hope.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't get y it takes so long if nothing has changed. ....this is my 3rd set of permits from this town,  and an address change......in 3 yrs ive only been able to get 8 permits and an addrss change.   Wtf, im entitled to 1 purchase per month.  We don't even abide by our own laws? !?!?!
View Quote

the REAL Kick in the ass is that 25 years ago when everything was Paper, including Fingerprinting, and done through the regular mail, the Majority of places you had your permits in under the 30 day cap.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Seems that Ewing PD in Mercer County has their shit together. Applied for my initial FID and a handgun purchase permit in 2011. The guy told me he tries to have them in 30 days and it was 30 on the nose. Unfortunately for me, I lost my initial card recently and wanted to purchase another rifle so I went down to the PD last Wednesday and had my duplicate yesterday, so I only had to wait 1 week.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Figured out the issue today after multiple calls. ... One of my references never showed up. ....I called the guy that's missing,  he's a leo btw, and he insists he sent it.....I dunno man. ....am I being screwed with?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Hmmmmm. In Paramus you can't use local PPD as a reference.

Lol, plausible deniability.
View Quote

I would think a leo's reference would be one of the best u can get
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#24]
O only know LEOs, who else can I use?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Why would I want to live there? it was nice in the 70s, now... too many people
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not in this town, against policy. Other boroughs, etc. Perhaps ok. I wouldn't know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Not in this town, against policy. Other boroughs, etc. Perhaps ok. I wouldn't know.

Well, I suppose the Paramus PD can have a policy that forbids their employees (LEOs) from answering reference letters.  However, they can't (by law, anyway) prohibit YOU the applicant from listing LEOs from other jurisdictions as references.  Specifically, the statute states:
The application shall be signed by the applicant and shall contain as references the names and addresses of two reputable citizens personally acquainted with him.
The statute goes on to further state:
There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

A friend of mine recently applied for pistol permits at his local NJSP barracks (no local PD).  The trooper at the desk even told him, "if you're going to use any of your cop friends as references, be sure you list their cell phone - since we can never get ahold of them on their home line, and they don't return our calls".
If your PD is actually refusing applications because a listed reference is a LEO (again, outside of their jurisdiction), then they're just asking for a lawsuit.  I'd start by having my attorney send a letter to their chief, referencing the above statutes (2C:58-3e and -3f), advising him that such a refusal will result in a lawsuit against his dept. - then go from there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#31]
How long does the 212A background check take usually? They said 2 weeks but its been longer
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#32]
two weeks for foid and two pistol permits in middle township...gotta be a new record!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Jerk.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
two weeks for foid and two pistol permits in middle township...gotta be a new record!
View Quote

My first one was 5 minutes
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#35]
WHOOP WHOOP..... permits came in today. ..... going to pick them up wed morning. .....dam that took forever
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top