Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 6:11:28 PM EDT
Woke up this morning to see my DVR box on " HOLD "... Reset the box and went to work. I came home late today, ( after a couple phone calls from the wife ) and it's still on HOLD. I have had technicians out about 5 or 6 times to "diagnose"  the problem in the past. This is also my third DVR Cable box. Is it worth me to continue paying optimum my $150+ a month or should I switch to Verizon ? What are the pros vs cons IE; service and channels that come with Verizon vs optimum.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
having had dish, directv, fios and optimum. i think that for tv directv is the best and find that optimum online was most reliable for internet. fios is pretty good but lags behind directv in many ways. the optimum dvr is the worst i have ever used.

currently have fios and am not disappointed picture quality is awesome, internet is fast but although doesn't slow down it does sometimes go intermittent.

i would make a list of the channels you watch and find the package that offers what you want, be careful and do not assume the higher package has the channel you want. i did that and got hosed on a channel and had to upgrade to an even higher tv package.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:57:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd switch to either. I'm on service electric cable with penteldata as my internet provider. they both blow donkeys.

if I had the choice, I'd go fios.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Fios is great, I would recommend it over cable for sure. I was on the notify list for over a year and switched immediately from Comcast as soon as it was available in my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fios is great, I would recommend it over cable for sure. I was on the notify list for over a year and switched immediately from Comcast as soon as it was available in my neighborhood.
View Quote

Ditto.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I cut my cable, but after having Directv, fios, and cablevision; fios was the clear winner for reliability and speed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Verizon keeps sending me the mailer with the $300 Gift card in it. I kept one and keep staring at it. Any hidden fees with Verizon like I've heard about ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I have cablevision and it blows. The box is so bad I had to buy TiVo. My internet was dog $hit slow so I have to pay up for optimum boost. It's fine worth that but it's 10 bucks extra a month.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I have both Optimum and Fios in my area. Right now I have yet to try Fios and am tempted to switch due to a slightly lower cost and I see Fios for the last 3 years upgrading and running wires in my area. My only concern is internet, my Optimum is pretty stable and fast without the boost. Only problem I had was when one tower went down causing massive lag spikes / connectivity issues for 2 days at max.

When I first got optimum, they gave me a PoS modem that would constantly lose connection (it was a single channel the guy told me). They sent a tech out to look at it and he gave me a different modem, said it was a 4 channel. Ever since that I have yet to have stability issues. The tech said the original PoS modem they gave me couldn't handle the bandwidth i was using.

Honestly I would pick up a Roku / Apple TV / what ever your poison is, cut the cable and keep the internet. Right now I am only paying $32 after taxes just for internet and stream all my TV / Movies from a box.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top