Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2014 4:36:37 PM EDT
Drake's attorneys have responded to the states response to the Drake filing requesting the USSC review his NJ carry case.
Interesting read.  Seems to destroy the NJ response but IANAL
http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/13-827cert_reply_FILED.pdf
The case status summary can be found at the link below. Apparently the case is scheduled to be distributed for conference on the 18th.  This only means a justice or two will review it and then decide to present it to other justices for consideration to be granted centiorari (sp?)
Hopefully a NJ lawyer can weigh in here an correct any misunderstandings I may have posted.
Full case summary here.  http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/drake-v-jerejian/

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
nm

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Friday they will decide if they will hear the Drake Case
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Will they announce it Friday too?

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The AG of NJ will do everything he can to stop this case from making it to the SCOTUS.  If there is so much of a filing error or typo that his office can stand on to have it withdrawn from the SCOTUS' grasps, he will kick and scream to bring it to light.  I hope for every law abiding citizen of this state, that he is unsuccessful and that the SCOTUS does the right thing in reviewing this case and ruling in favor of the constitution.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:57:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely Monday
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The AG of NJ will do everything he can to stop this case from making it to the SCOTUS.  If there is so much of a filing error or typo that his office can stand on to have it withdrawn from the SCOTUS' grasps, he will kick and scream to bring it to light.  I hope for every law abiding citizen of this state, that he is unsuccessful and that the SCOTUS does the right thing in reviewing this case and ruling in favor of the constitution.  
View Quote

Completely out of the AG's hands now. All up to SCOTUS.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the process from here?
What does this mean for NJ?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What is the process from here?

What does this mean for NJ?
View Quote

If SCOTUS decides to hear it and then Drake manages a win the justifiable cause requirement should be found unconstitutional and NJ would have to change how they evaluate CCW permits. Hopefully force them to be shall issue.  I would expect NJ to fight tooth and nail but Illinois finally was forced to allow CCW so I'm hoping for a result like that.

I'm sure a real lawyer can answer better.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:51:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's a NYer hoping like hell for you guys...because this will destroy NYs may issue law as well.

Unfortunately SCOTUS denied our case of Kachalsky vs. NY...which was the exact same thing as Drake. And they denied the Maryland case...which was the same thing as Drake and Kachalsky...

My guess is scotus punts again...and denies it...because they have all been compromised.

Illinois and California and Hawaii have all been forced into shall issue...us east coasters probably won't be so lucky.

The NJ and NYC corrupt political machine would rather nuke themselves than allow ccw to us normal people.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:56:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Counting the hours!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My guess is scotus punts again...
View Quote

There is a circuit court split now with the recent 9th circuit ruling that may issue is unconstitutional.  I think this increases the chances that SCOTS hears the case immensely.  We shall soon see.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Hoping this one gets writ, then reversed and remanded. It would help a lot in NY!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#14]
http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/drake-v-jerejian/
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/drake-v-jerejian/
View Quote

**Editor's Note :
On Monday at 9:30 a.m. we expect orders from the April 18 Conference. On both Tuesday and Wednesday we expect one or more decisions in argued cases; we will be live blogging both days beginning at 9:45 a.m.**

If I read it right... we we will know if it proceeds to SCOTUS on Monday morning and the text of the decision(s) will come Tuesday or Wednesday??
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Is it possible to email/call SCOTUS?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I read it right... we we will know if it proceeds to SCOTUS on Monday morning and the text of the decision(s) will come Tuesday or Wednesday??
View Quote

No.  We'll know on Monday if they will hear Drake.  We will also get text of decisions on cases that have already been argued.  The two are unrelated.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is it possible to email/call SCOTUS?
View Quote

SCOTUS doesn't work that way.  The justices are appointed for life; they couldn't care less about a bunch of emails.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:42:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd have to agree. No one should be appointed for life.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:00:48 AM EDT
[#21]
No decision was given in this mornings orders list, it is still pending. Hopefully we'll know next week.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#22]
April 25th is the day by their calendar
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No decision was given in this mornings orders list, it is still pending. Hopefully we'll know next week.
View Quote

SCOTUSblog tweeted the same this morning.  Friday the 25th is the next conference date.  So maybe Monday the 28th.  Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

SCOTUSblog tweeted the same this morning.  Friday the 25th is the next conference date.  So maybe Monday the 28th.  Fingers crossed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see anything on SCOTUSblog right now about it.  Will they make any kind of announcement today?  Or will it be Monday?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't see anything on SCOTUSblog right now about it.  Will they make any kind of announcement today?  Or will it be Monday?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The orders from today should be released on Monday morning
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Orders from last Friday have been released and still no decision. The wait continues...
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#27]
No decision on Drake again today. Cert neither granted or denied.  Reschedule to next week again?

Yep scotusblog says we will see if it is rescheduled later in the day.  I
wonder if this is normal or if it could mean something.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No decision on Drake again today. Cert neither granted or denied.  Reschedule to next week again?

Yep scotusblog says we will see if it is rescheduled later in the day.  I wonder if this is normal or if it could mean something.

View Quote

It is encouraging because they did not outright deny it like the others.  The announcement may still be made later today or next week.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It is encouraging because they did not outright deny it like the others.  The announcement may still be made later today or next week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep scotusblog says we will see if it is rescheduled later in the day.  I wonder if this is normal or if it could mean something.

Later Today...Or next week??

Damn...I can't hold my Breath that long!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#30]
DISTRIBUTED for Conference of May 2, 2014.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Also saw this:
"Rumor has it Justice Scalia’s trying to line up a majority vote before they grant cert. [h/t SB]"
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/robert-farago/breaking-supreme-court-shuns-justifiable-need-concealed-carry-case/

If Scalia is trying to line up a majority that means he's working for us.

Also it seems relisting may actually be good news: http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/04/relist-watch-what-does-the-courts-relist-streak-mean/

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#32]
That's a rather strongly worded brief. I'm surprised they didn't cite Alabama v. Gambini, et al.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#33]
the suspense is crazy.  starting to fantasize like one does if he/she won the lottery.  imagine the NJ (and national ramifications) uproar that would occur if SCOTUS eventually ruled in our favor on the case (assuming it is heard)...NJ liberals would be rioting in the streets...haha...ok i will calm down.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
the suspense is crazy.  starting to fantasize like one does if he/she won the lottery.  imagine the NJ (and national ramifications) uproar that would occur if SCOTUS eventually ruled in our favor on the case (assuming it is heard)...NJ liberals would be rioting in the streets...haha...ok i will calm down.
View Quote

Yeah it does feel a little like a lottery fantasy doesn't it?
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 5:47:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Hopefully SCOTUS is deciding to hear Drake today and will announce Monday.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Amen.  Nothing on SCOTUSblog, but there won't be until Monday anyway.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Amen.  Nothing on SCOTUSblog, but there won't be until Monday anyway.
View Quote

Yep.  Fingers Crossed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Cert Denied.

No 2A in NJ apparently.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 5:48:20 AM EDT
[#39]
As predicted. Cert denied.

SCOTUS has been compromised. They will never take another gun case. If they took it, they would have to rule on our side, and they can't have that happening...Would piss off too many liberals.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:18:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
As predicted. Cert denied.

SCOTUS has been compromised. They will never take another gun case. If they took it, they would have to rule on our side, and they can't have that happening...Would piss off too many liberals.
View Quote

I think you are right and if hillary gets in we will have a liberal SCOTUS for a long time
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#41]
WTF!!!   I knew it was too good to be true!!!  This Shit Hole State is just NEVER gonna change!

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#43]
There is still the Pantano case pending before the state supreme court. I'm not optimistic about a favorable outcome though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Wife and I have about 5 years left here in occupied territory. I have no fight left - Florida here we come...will live retirement within the free U.S. hopefully
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#45]
When will the people wake up ....
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

When will the people wake up ....
View Quote
never.  we are the minority

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#47]
We all own guns for a reason... Yes?
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:38:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We all own guns for a reason... Yes?
View Quote

It's obviously hunting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Lame.

Sorry brothers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top