Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2014 7:12:30 AM EDT
A man racked a shot gun from his deck to scare what he believed to be burglars only to be Police Officers. His attorney says that we have the right to self defense, but I thought NJ had no self defense laws?

http://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2014/04/pennsville_man_cleared_of_gun_charges_attorney_cautions_gun_owners.html#incart_river
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#1]
“Instead of taking this into his own hands, he could have picked up the phone and called 9-1-1,” he said. “They would have told him it was the police outside his house...

"If the community had more knowledge about gun laws, we could solve these problems. It’s a shame it happened the way it did.”

---

Hmmmmm.....
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Outrageous. Why was this Man even charged with a crime?

Do the police really want to intimidate citizens into giving up their right to defend themselves and their property? Can you say "abuse of power". It is fortunate we still have juries to end these types of abuses. Juries are the only part of NJ's legal system that have any integrity. The Prosecutor needs to be fired and the Police Chief isn't much better.

That said, it's just what I would expect living in this Police State. Sad.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I think there is something more to this story. I have met most of the officers in this town and the last chief ( he passed away last year) was as pro gun as it gets. I'm not familiar with the current chief so I can't comment. I will say these men have to deal with a lot of problem people from drug dealers with meth labs, gangs and crazy horse women who let their horses out on the front lawn to graze to name just a few. You know, like everywhere else. I wasn't there to judge the officers actions and neither were you. Several years ago a mentally challenged man pointed an unloaded ,22 rifle at a swat team in the Harrison House in Mullica Hill. They lit him up. Some of you probably said "good shoot", some of you may have said "the gun was unloaded". I was at Camp Roosevelt as a Boy Scout leader when I overheard a group of men hashing out the story. Something made me turn around and tell them they can't judge the man who shot that person because they weren't standing in his shoes. The man who fired the shot was in fact standing there and thanked me saying he has waited a long time for someone to say that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top