Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2010 7:32:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Chris,

LOL. So that's what the barricade looks like without so many holes. I gotta admit that I think I contributed. Darned Bore/Site offset.  Sorry

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like great weather too
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Another solid class with Chris Fry.  It was a full day but everyone kept up and remained safe.  Thanks to Joel and Jason for your help.  It was good to finally meet you Iggy, thanks to You and Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club for letting this class happen.

Sorry you didn't get the chance to light me up from deep,deep cover Joel.  Maybe next time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#7]
while i'll probably write up a more thorough after action report, thanks again to chris and his crew for a great class and thanks to iggy and old bridge for bringing it all together.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Another outstanding class by Chris Fry of MDTS.

Thanks to Iggy for putting this class together and to The Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club for the use of their facilities. And thanks to every one for being safe.

As always, Joel you are an asset to the class.

In consideration of the the date of the class, this was an ideal way to spend the day. The weather was perfect and the range was ideal.

As a student in the class, I continue to learn something new and reinforce what I have learned before. Chris has said that his goal is to raise the skills, ability and knowledge of each participant in the class by "one level". I do believe that he is successful in that regard. Chris is a dynamic teacher and his classes are just as dynamic. The information he teaches is always updated and very relevant.

I really enjoy the debriefing where often times people reveal their prior experience with firearms. There are people who handle weapons professionally (LEO) and have years of experience, to people who have owned their firearms for a few months and have very little experience. And during the class, it is virtually impossible to distinguish the experienced shooters from the novices. Chris has the unique ability to convey information (teach - for lack of a batter word) and help the participant assimilate that information well.

Chris' classes provide those of us in NJ an opportunity to handle our firearms the way they are designed to be used. Most importantly he integrates our best weapon with the use of the firearm, our mind. He helps us think and pushes us to function under stress. Besides the "how", he give us the "why".

Thanks for another outstanding class.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#10]
MDTS Combative Pistol Skills 1 & 2
September 11, 2010
Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club, NJ
Instructed by Chris Fry, MDTS

This was the second course I’ve taken with Chris and MDTS and the second time I’ve been far more than pleased with every aspect of the format, curriculum, content, instruction and overall pace. Both MDTS courses I’ve taken have been conducted at Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club and I’ve also been quite pleased with the facilities in both instances.

I ran this course with a Glock 23 fitted with XS Big Dot sights. The pistol rode in AHolster’s OWB belt holster on a Comp-Tac kydex reinforced 1.5” contour belt. For the purposes of this class, I used a combination of a belt-mounted Blade-Tech double mag pouch and Blackhawk CQC double mag pouch. Wolf 180gr FMJ .40S&W was used for entire course. With the exception of one double-feed (made even more enjoyable during the single-handed support side drills) and some of the older Glock magazines that took a bit of persuasion to drop free, I experienced no equipment, weapon or ammunition related failures. My total round count for the day was 451.

Participants included everyone from new shooters to avid enthusiasts and seasoned law enforcement officers. I’d personally make a recommendation that every gun owner should have at least some professional training under their belts, especially if they have purchased firearms with the intent of personal protection and / or self-defense. While the obvious improvements in fundamentals, technique, tactics and mindset are paramount, there’s also the possible legal benefit if having to defend one’s actions after the fight.

After completing the necessary paperwork, the class began with a discussion and review of ‘use of force’ policies, threat avoidance, situational awareness and ultimately, and seemingly most important to some, how you might articulate the actions taken if involved in a violent confrontation.

Quickly, we moved to live-fire range drills which first included fundamental marksmanship and accuracy. A competitive drill putting rounds from progressively further and further away proved most of the class capable of maintaining accuracy out to beyond 25 yards with the furthest engagements (and the winner) at what I recall being nearly 75 yards.

After working the fundamentals, combative marksmanship was drilled with an emphasis on maintaining a higher rate of fire per shot string without sacrificing accuracy.

The morning drills concluded with weapons malfunction and clearing. Conducting a ‘round robin’ malfunction drill gave the class an opportunity to clear stoppages and malfunctions from a variety of weapons.

After a 30-minute lunch, the afternoon drills moved to more advanced weapons handling, including single-handed drills using both strong and support side and bi-lateral drills. Threat assessment, commands, and after-action assessments were also added in addition to being required to use at least one ‘dummy’ round in every magazine for the duration of the class schedule. The combat draw stroke was practiced from both open carry and from under a concealment garment and multiple techniques for drawing from concealment were covered.

By forcing the students to not only discard an object before drawing and, in later drills, having to retain a similar object while drawing and putting accurate shots on target, realism was added to many of the afternoon drills. This also included having a partner attempt to physically distract the student through movement and contact during weapons handling and multiple strings of fire.

The final drill took place behind two barricades, making use of the day’s combined skills in multiple target engagements, reacting to commands, utilizing varied cover techniques on both the strong and support side. This was all under increased stress at a faster pace, forcing the student to react quickly and engage accurately.

Because of the concentration of material in this 8-hour course, I’m certain that I’ve forgotten to mention at least a few other things that were reviewed.

As I discovered in the carbine class in August, fundamentals can always be improved and I need far more practice shooting from my support side.

I definitely plan to train with Chris and MDTS again for not only the next steps in the pistol curriculum but, also a continuation of the carbine and hopefully the shotgun coursework.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
This was my second Course with MDTS and all I can say is WOW !!!!

The courses just keep getting better and better.

Thank you Chris, Joel and Jason !!!!!
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

How to help MTDS have more Classes at Old Bridge in 2011.

1- Join Old Bridge. Old Bridge is one of the few Clubs in New Jersey that permits this kind of training. This is not a criticism of other Clubs but it is a FACT.

2-Contact the Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club Board and thank them for the use of the Club's Range ( SEE BELOW FOR CONTACT INFO)

3- Let's continue to be safe and clean up after our training. We have had three MTDS Classes at Old Bridge and we have not received a single complaint. Let's make sure we are always welcomed back.

Thanks to all for attending and helping clean up after the training.

Shoot Quickly ,Accurately and Safely

Iggyort

PS - Stay tuned for future MTDS Classes at Old Bridge in 2011

Contact Info for the Old Bridge Board:

[email protected]- President

[email protected] Vice-Prez

[email protected] Financial Secretary

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Done.
Quoted:

This was my second Course with MDTS and all I can say is WOW !!!!

The courses just keep getting better and better.

Thank you Chris, Joel and Jason !!!!!
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

How to help MTDS have more Classes at Old Bridge in 2011.

1- Join Old Bridge. Old Bridge is one of the few Clubs in New Jersey that permits this kind of training. This is not a criticism of other Clubs but it is a FACT.

2-Contact the Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club Board and thank them for the use of the Club's Range ( SEE BELOW FOR CONTACT INFO)

3- Let's continue to be safe and clean up after our training. We have had three MTDS Classes at Old Bridge and we have not received a single complaint. Let's make sure we are always welcomed back.

Thanks to all for attending and helping clean up after the training.

Shoot Quickly ,Accurately and Safely

Iggyort

PS - Stay tuned for future MTDS Classes at Old Bridge in 2011

Contact Info for the Old Bridge Board:

[email protected]- President

[email protected] Vice-Prez

[email protected] Financial Secretary

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top