Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2017 9:01:27 PM EDT
I was in the UK again last month and rode the train for the first time.  Leeds to London.  Everyone around me had reserved seats but I never got a ticket like everyone else listing their seat number.

Should I have asked for a reserved seat when I purchased my ticket at the station just before the train left?  My paper receipt had 'anytime' on it, so maybe a ticket for riding on any departure don't get reserved seats?  Fortunately I did not get bumped out of my seat.

Hope to ride again if I get back over to the UK later this year.  Specifically over to Bovington so I can get to the tank museum!  I skipped it this time because it was going to be 3+ hours each way on the Saturday that I happened to have free.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
1, if you buy a ticket on the day at the station you don't get the cheapest price. UK train ticket prices for the same journey can vary enormously.

2, You need to advance book online to get the best price and have the option to reserve a seat which doesn't cost extra. You can either have your tickets posted out or eticket on your phone or collect from a ticket machine at the station.

3, UK trains are operated by different train companies who all have ticket booking websites but they will sell you tickets for any train operators train.

Train timetables

Ticket site

Another ticket booking site
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That is incredibly helpful information.  I did notice that advance tickets were definitely cheaper.  I wasn't able to purchase it ahead of time, but fortunately I was able to submit it on my expense reports ... so it's not like I really paid for it.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem, I do use the UK rail network from time to time for longer journeys.  We complain about our trains but I've used French, Italian, Swedish and German trains and none of those systems are perfect.

However if everything works with the high speed railways it's possible to travel across Europe very easily without the hassle of airport check ins and baggage restrictions.

Check out this for next time you visit Europe  The man in seat 61
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#4]
FYI if you can commit to a train at a certain time you can get a hefty discount, even on 1st class. Just rode from Bath to Paddington and I'm glad I did. Standard class was standing room only.

Typing this from Heathrow with a pint in front of me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Just reading this, I go London once a week with work and just realised i haven't reserved my seat for the first time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top