Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2016 2:43:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm heading your way in December with my wife and step-son.  Since I was in high school (so 30 years) I've carried a small Swiss Army knife like this:

https://assets.victorinox.com/mam/celum/celum_assets/8796909404190_celum_45935_560Wx490H.jpg?1

In fact, I'm pretty sure I brought it with me last time I was in England, but that was 25 years ago.  I know how the knife laws are there, but are there any acceptable pocket knives one can carry? Or are they all forbidden?

Thanks.
View Quote

In the UK, you can EDC a knife that has a blade < 3", that folds, and that does not have a locking mechanism to hold it open. You can legally carry these pretty much anywhere except into a court, which is covered by a separate bit of legislation. Anywhere else (assuming they even check you for it) might require you to leave it outside/with security/whatever in order to gain entry, but they need to return it when you leave. They probably won't believe this, of course, because all people hear is "oooh, knives are eeeeevil!"

If you can come up with "good reason or lawful authority" (which doesn't include self defence) then you can carry a sword or battleaxe if you like. Good luck finding a "good reason" for that

The moment you pull a knife (or, indeed, anything) in anger, it becomes a weapon. So don't do that.

Not that anyone actually knows the law, as evidenced by a letter from my daughter's school recently, warning pupils that possession of a penknife on school grounds was against the law. Which it isn't.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#3]
My EDC is a swiss army knife like the one in the photo.  I've carried through security at the Eurostar check in without a problem.  Going into the Scottish Parliament building I declared it to security who bagged it and told me to collect it on the way out.

On a point of of UK law anything you carry for the declared purpose of "self defence" is an offensive weapon.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

On a point of of UK law anything you carry for the declared purpose of "self defence" is an offensive weapon.  

View Quote
Unless it's in the possession of the police who always enjoy the right of self defence - unlike the general public.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Where about in uk are you visiting ?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Bovington, The Tank Museum. Or you might get lost.

The IWM at Duxford,well worth a visit, Land Warfare and American Air Museum as well as many other exhibits.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bovington, Boddington, either way. My step-son is the tank nut, he wouldn't let me go to the wrong place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bovington, The Tank Museum. Or you might get lost.

The IWM at Duxford,well worth a visit, Land Warfare and American Air Museum as well as many other exhibits.

Bovington, Boddington, either way. My step-son is the tank nut, he wouldn't let me go to the wrong place.

No worries, I had to check the spelling myself before I posted
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Go in the purdy shop if you are in london.
Atb
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top