Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2015 4:14:35 PM EDT
The wife and I will be in Edinburgh for a week in November and would appreciate suggestions on local or nearby things to see and do.  Whisky distillery tours, Edinburgh and Stirling Castles are high on our list, but I'm sure there are plenty of other options as well.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 3:32:09 AM EDT
[#1]
The Royal Mile is touristy, but still something you have to do.   Explore all the little alleyways and basement places.  Spend time just walking and exploring.  There are graveyards in town with markers older than America .  The castle is a must see.  Get up into the highlands as well.  If you don't have a car, there are plenty of tours available.  Hike up to Arthur's Seat (the big hill).  The views are amazing.  Glasgow is a quick train ride as well.  Take a look through trip advisor and see what looks good (if you haven't already).  
Hopefully one of the locals will chime in.  My excursions to Edinburgh usually revolve around pubs and festivals.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Nighthawk, that's exactly the kind of information we were hoping to find.  If you ever need help with what do do in the Houston, Texas area I'll be happy to help.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm heading up there this weekend on a whiskey trip.  Will report back any critical details
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Send me a PM when you have a chance - I'm just outside Edinburgh - so may be able to give you a few ideas

Nearest distillery is the one at Glenkinchie - a good tour there where they then give you enough free tasters to get an elephant drunk - but not if you are driving!
Drink drive laws here are now very severe = a small bottle of beer may be enough to put you over the limit, so best not risk it.

Royal Yacht is moored near Leith & you can do tours there
Aside from the military museums in Edinburgh Castle there is the KOSB Museum in Berwick-on-Tweed & the Black Watch Museum in Perth

ONE gunshop in Edinburgh = so no happy souvenirs possible, there's a decent gunshop in St Boswells inland from Berwick

LOTS of history IN Edinburgh but also a lot outside in the Lothians & Border areas

Happy to help if I can...
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Saddler - the royal yacht sounds interesting, and I had not heard about those other museums.  Probably will pm you as we get closer to the trip date in November.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Saddler - we just got back from our trip to Scotland and really, really had a good time.  Landed in Aberdeen and met up with our daughter who is currently working there on a 6-month assignment.  She drove us down to Edinburgh, with  a few stops along the coast to check out a castle or three.  We stayed at an AirBnB in Edinburgh, in new town, on Learmonth Gardens so it was easy to walk everywhere.  Local pubs were fun, particularly Sandy Bells, with live local music.  Did the Royal Mile walk all the way to the parliament building, and almost went inside but checked first with the local police guarding the gate to see if my pocket-knife would be a "no-no".  He confirmed that a lock-blade knife would indeed be a problem, so we passed on that tour and instead hiked up to Arthur's Seat.   Great view, and we worked up an appetite with that little hike.  

Drove up to Falkirk and saw the 'Wheel' which was very cool.  Also went on a tour of Stirling Castle and the William Wallace monument. Went in to the Barbour store in Edinburgh to look at coats and was pleasantly surprised to see they had a gun shop inside with lots of high $$ doubles, both shotguns and rifles, and lots of suppressed bolt action rifles.  Suppressors were quite large compared to what I'm used to seeing stateside.  Went to 2-3 different pubs each day while in Edinburgh and Aberdeen including The Cambridge, The Oxford, The Alexander Graham Bell, The Noose and Monkey, The Shore, and many others.  Did not have time to do a proper whisky tour (yes, I learned there is no "e" in single malt), but did manage to sample some local brands and found that we liked both Glen Morangie and Glen Farclas, both of which (thankfully) are available here in the states.   Food was also excellent, both in terms of quality and selection.  Did lots of fish/chips, but also some meat pies and other local favorites (no haggis though).  Favorite place for Thai food was the Thai Orchad near the top of the Royal Mile.  Favorite fish/chips was actually up near Aberdeen at Stonehaven, near the harbor.  

We capped the trip off Friday night with a 3-hour ceilidh in Aberdeen at the Music Hall.  All I can say is drinking and then dancing / spinning in circles is probably much easier if you're half my age.  Was sweating like a pig, but having a great time.  All in all, one of the best vacations I've had in a long time.   Thanks again for your suggestions.  If you ever come to Houston, TX give me a call and I can return the favor.

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top