Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 2:18:59 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm leaving to London in a few hours and will be spending about a month there for work. In the states I always carry a small folder, which I understand is prohibited due to locking, so obviously leaving that at home. My question is am I ok flying with a leatherman in checked baggage? It has a locking blade, so I can't carry it around, but would it be ok to leave in the apartment for general misc repairs, or should I just stick to a Swiss Army Knife?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably too late now but you'd be fine with the leathernan. Main rule is that you need a reason to have it if you're in public. Having it in your baggage as you travel to the hotel I'd have thought would be acceptable. Just don't go wandering the streets with it in your pocket, if you were searched you'd be in bother.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll echo the sentiment of as long as you have a reason (self defense doesn't count) you're good to go. I will say that I've never been searched by law enforcement in London but any high traffic area like the London eye, aquariums and most museums etc. will have security searching bags and people for weapons. Being an American, they usually shake their head in disapproval and give it back when I'm leaving. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Related ques.  
In law is a residential building contractor in london.  Would he be hassled to carry a leatherman around?  Are they sold in UK?  Thinking about it as a gift for him...

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Related ques.  In law is a residential building contractor in london.  Would he be hassled to carry a leatherman around?  Are they sold in UK?  Thinking about it as a gift for him...

View Quote

Leatherman, Gerber and other multitools are all sold in the UK.  He should have no problem having a tool of his trade with him.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, hope he doesn't have one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks, hope he doesn't have one.
View Quote

You can never have enough Leathermans
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a good idea to have a Leatherman on your person unless you can justify it with a good legal reason, you'd be in possession of what they call a "offensive weapon." In the UK, only the Govt. through the police, and armed forces, plus the criminal classes have the monopoly on the use of force.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Gave him the leatherman sidekick.  Coudn't find any w/out locking blades so I hope that will not be an issue...

He wasn't concerned w/ carrying it, but is a bit concerned w/ getting it off the plane.  We will see what happens.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:32:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gave him the leatherman sidekick.  Coudn't find any w/out locking blades so I hope that will not be an issue...

He wasn't concerned w/ carrying it, but is a bit concerned w/ getting it off the plane.  We will see what happens.  
View Quote

The original PST was non-locking, and can frequently be found for fairly affordable prices on eBay and such. The current Kick is non-locking as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top