Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2015 4:28:58 PM EDT
I realize you have much better (read: sensible) laws on suppressors in the U.K. than here in the U.S.

But are the suppressors you can buy 100% made in the U.K. or are imported cans available?  

How about U.S.-made cans?  AAC? GemTech or Knights?  Swiss B&T?

Also, does anyone make their own cans in the U.K?  What permits/permission would be required over there?

Finally, any pressure from the EU to ban supressors?
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
They aren't my thing, but I'll try and answer what I can. Only got one myself - it cost under $50 and fits most threaded .22LR barrels.

There are plenty of imported makes available. ASE are very popular.

Never seen any American made suppressors available. US export regulations probably make them a less attractive choice for retailers. I think I remember seeing B&T suppressors for sale.

Yes, people do. Not sure on regulations. You might not need any paperwork to legally manufacture one, unless you intend to sell it. I could well be wrong.

Not that I'm aware of. In general, we have far more restrictive firearms laws than most EU members.

Don't know for sure, but I think this was an English DIY modification. Sold it a while back. Shotgun suppressors aren't regulated for the most part.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The Finnish-made ASE Utra are very popular, yes.

http://www.aseutra.fi/index-en

I have a Jet-Z compact on my .300 Whisper/blackout upper, and it's lovely and quiet :)
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Anaxes, PeteSlin - thanks!  I appreciate the thorough and prompt information!

I especially appreciate the shotgun photos - fascinating!  

Other than the Hollywood movie prop in "No Country for Old Men," supressors on shotguns are rather unknown over here.  However, here is a recent review of a recently introduced shotgun can:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtIqTfObXIo[/youtube]

More common are supressors on .22s, on centerfire rifles like the AR (not so much on the Kalashnikov - it is a poor host), on bolt guns, and on semi-automatic pistols (though the results on the last category were, IMHO, underwhelming the one time I tried out a friend's 9mm can with the "booster" required for proper functioning.  I thought it was loud.).

Approval to possess or build a supressor here may take from about 1 year to as little as 30 days; in some areas they are banned outright and in others, the local sherrif or chief of police might opt not to let you have a supressor (there are ways around that sometimes).

As for the lack of U.S. imports to the UK, our export laws are influenced by "ITAR" regulations, which prevent exporting all sorts of things - even the DVDs produced by MagPul.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top