Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/6/2014 12:57:25 AM EDT
I've ran into several Brits over the years who have stated, verbatim, " I'm heading to New York City to experience America!"

I've visited several times with family and have an overly friendly in-law who was born in the Midwest and raised in the Deep South. When she finishes making new friends several have quipped " you've made me want to visit the states, i'll go to NY one day".

How familiar are Brits interested in seeing the states with the regional differences here? Being some Americans are VERY different in areas that are VERY far away from each other yet in the same country.

Question is.......is New York considered "America" to most Brits? To us it's just a blob of other countries ex-pats and traditions/culture (with a rare few exceptions).
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok...I've picked myself up off the floor...short answer 'no'
now I can get back to laughing...
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#2]
On the flip side, millions of Americans only visit London.

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't even see New York as being a part of America...
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of my relatives wanted to see the "real America" a few years back and took a tour which basically encompassed NYC, D.C, Chicago, L.A and SF, and not much in-between. My reaction to their choice of destinations didn't exactly go down well.

NYC, FL, CA, and Vegas are the usual holiday destinations. I haven't known many people that deviated from this, but some do. This isn't counting people wanting a shooting holiday, although many of them do gravitate towards Vegas and FL.

I have encountered a few people that even visit CA to shoot, albeit as more of a side-activity. It's not really a bad deal since most just want to use handguns, but I digress.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're coming to western Ohio, let me know and I'll get you a ride along with the local SO.  You'll see a side of America you'll never forget.

18B30.....I rode with the 45 Commando on Operation Jacana
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Considering most in Ny city don't say they are "American" they say they are "Puerto Rican Dominican Italian Asian or countless other nationalities" even though they,  their parents or grand parents have never been to said nation. I hope the bits visit other city's besides NY or Orlando.  God knows we have the same problem with "non Americans" here. Meaning 3 generations deep in being born here yet they still don't want to be American
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I just spent the last 48 hours in London, so I just visited the UK then?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Of course, but you didn't see it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm from Texas and I don't even consider New York as part of American anymore, and I'll never visit there.  Come down south and into the country if you want to experience America.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm from Texas and I don't even consider New York as part of American anymore, and I'll never visit there.  Come down south and into the country if you want to experience America.
View Quote
The only bit of the US I've visited is the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Did I miss much?

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Western European countries are pretty small as compared to the USA.  So their concept of America is related to their life experiences.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know how you feel.  I've been to Houston and realized that Texas is just like NYC.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Western European countries are pretty small as compared to the USA.  So their concept of America is related to their life experiences.
View Quote

Americans are the same way. They believe that London, Paris and Rome is all there is to Europe.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Americans are the same way. They believe that London, Paris and Rome is all there is to Europe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true at all
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not true at all
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true at all

Maybe not for all, but many Yanks I've spoken to seem to think so.

I recently met an American in Brussels, and he thought that Europe was really crowded. I asked him where he'd been, and the answer was London, Paris and Brussels.

I explained that there's a bit more to Europe than the urban areas of Western continental Europe.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I recently met an American in Brussels, and he thought that Europe was really crowded. I asked him where he'd been, and the answer was London, Paris and Brussels.

I explained that there's a bit more to Europe than the urban areas of Western continental Europe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true at all

Fair enough. BTW, I don't get the term "Yank" for Americans. In the USA that only applies to people who live north of the mason-dixon line (MD/PA border) and east of Ohio.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fair enough. BTW, I don't get the term "Yank" for Americans. In the USA that only applies to people who live north of the mason-dixon line (MD/PA border) and east of Ohio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true at all

Yeah, I know. We're just too lazy to distinguish between y'all.

Yank may also be substituted for Colonial, American, Murican, Septic and a whole lot of other terms.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#19]
NYC is it's own special place, nowhere else is fully like it.  That's good and bad.  Actually, Manhattan really isn't like the remainder of the city - which you'll almost certainly never visit other than passing though.  While I'd encourage you to spend a few days in NYC saying you've seen the US by visiting NYC is like saying you've been to Europe by going to London (and really only the City proper).  And since you're on ARFCOM I'll simply say that NYC is hell for anything gun/hunting related.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am coming to dallas fw in a few weeks, would you say thats more american than new york?
Can you recommend anywhere to visit or shoot?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

No way, you need to get out of london to see uk
Atb
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I am coming to dallas fw in a few weeks, would you say thats more american than new york?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get outside the cities. Every big city has pockets that are nice but travel around and into the country if you want to see real Texas (or wherever you go). Fact is many of the cities in the US are pretty big compared to those of Europe in general. You think of the well know large cities in the US (NY, LA, CHI, etc) but in the end you have fairly large cities such as Boston, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and I can go on and on. Just because you are in Texas doesn't mean you are out of the typical big cities. Get out of the cities and past the suburbs and farther.....its a big country.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Try Oklahoma, or Texas if you like to shoot guns. I like the deep south such as Louisiana,  Mississippi,  or Alabama.  I would definitely  trade a day at the range for some Last of the Summer Wine videos. Iused to love that show.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:50:02 AM EDT
[#24]
If New York City defines the United States, then I'm a monkey.  Come out to Boise, Idaho if you want a better definition of average American life.  Unless you're afraid of everyone around you lawfully carrying concealed weapons.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If New York City defines the United States, then I'm a monkey.  Come out to Boise, Idaho if you want a better definition of average American life.  Unless you're afraid of everyone around you lawfully carrying concealed weapons.
View Quote

Hi,
Where is Boise ? My wife and son wamt to go florida this year and i wanted a week in baton rouge ?
I went vegas and dallas fortworth last year and thought dallas was more american than vegas.
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hi,
Where is Boise ? My wife and son wamt to go florida this year and i wanted a week in baton rouge ?
I went vegas and dallas fortworth last year and thought dallas was more american than vegas.
Atb
Mart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart

Its way up in the PNW wastelands! Best part of the US actually!
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart

Is there much to do ? Is it worth visiting ?
Atb
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Come on down to Georgia......if you are gonna be here......and can make it to the shop I'll arrange some full auto trigger time  (80 miles south of the Atlanta Airport)
View Quote

I might take you up on that offer mate.
I will look up georgia now online.
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Come on down to Georgia......if you are gonna be here......and can make it to the shop I'll arrange some full auto trigger time  (80 miles south of the Atlanta Airport)
View Quote

It doesnt look to far from florida, is there much to do there?
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart

Good grief, whatever for?

I mean, just go sit in the heaviest traffic you can find, eat the greasiest food you can find whilst overpaying for it, and try to arrange for someone to shoot at you a couple times, then give your car away to some random stranger, preferably while getting punched about the face a few times.

There, you've experienced Baton Rouge without paying for travel.  (Though I suppose you can leave out the car bit, as up there it'd be a rental I imagine, rather than your own.)
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I mean, just go sit in the heaviest traffic you can find, eat the greasiest food you can find whilst overpaying for it, and try to arrange for someone to shoot at you a couple times, then give your car away to some random stranger, preferably while getting punched about the face a few times.

There, you've experienced Baton Rouge without paying for travel.  (Though I suppose you can leave out the car bit, as up there it'd be a rental I imagine, rather than your own.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart

Lol.
I take it its not worth a visit ?
Where would you recommend ? I dont want all the tourist shite tho, even tho i got go to florida.
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Lol.
Where would you recommend ? I dont want all the tourist shite tho, even tho i got go to florida.
Atb
Mart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart

Lol.
Atb
Mart

Depends what you have in mind---really I'd suggest New Orleans, even though we have our share of touristy stuff, it's still a neat place, nice museums, great food, interesting history (by America's admittedly younger than Europe's standards, certainly,) and centrally located for assorted tours of old plantations, swamp tours if you are so inclined, and places to shoot if that strikes your fancy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart

If you go to Florida, I'd suggest Destin or Ft. Walton Beach in late September/early October. The fishing is great then, you'll see a bunch of bottle nose Dolphins, weather is really mild, and the water is warm enough to swim.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:25:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Atb
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart

Atb

Yes! I have lived all over the US and the PNW is incredible.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

pardon the tardy reply.......all sorts of stuff in Atlanta....I'm in Macon an hour south......and Orlando FL is about six hours south of us.....There is enough to do in GA to easily keep you busy for a couple of weeks.....Aquarium and professional sports in Atlanta....Stone Mountain Park......take a waterfall tour in the mountains, head down to the coast and have some awesome seafood and visit Savannah the oldest city in Georgia with much of the early architecture still intact as it wasn't burned during the War of Northern Aggression (erroneously known as the American Civil War to many)....
If you come in March the Cherry Blossom Festival in Macon draws visitors from all over the world, concerts, food, craft fairs, balloon shows(hot air) Ocmulgee National Monument.....prehistoric Indian center with some restored structures and a very interesting program.....Along the coast, Jekyll Island if into the beach......St Simons for beach and history.....and of course if you can stop in Macon it is a 15 minute ride out to a friends place where you can run my M16 with a 5.56 upper or one of the many pistol caliber conversions I make.....45, 9mm, and 7.62 Tokarev to name a few...all I ask is you chip in for ammo......I'll supply the guns and place....If you ever decide to come.....email me through the site....I check it at leas every couple of hours during the day.
Rudy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesnt look to far from florida, is there much to do there?
Atb
Mart

pardon the tardy reply.......all sorts of stuff in Atlanta....I'm in Macon an hour south......and Orlando FL is about six hours south of us.....There is enough to do in GA to easily keep you busy for a couple of weeks.....Aquarium and professional sports in Atlanta....Stone Mountain Park......take a waterfall tour in the mountains, head down to the coast and have some awesome seafood and visit Savannah the oldest city in Georgia with much of the early architecture still intact as it wasn't burned during the War of Northern Aggression (erroneously known as the American Civil War to many)....
If you come in March the Cherry Blossom Festival in Macon draws visitors from all over the world, concerts, food, craft fairs, balloon shows(hot air) Ocmulgee National Monument.....prehistoric Indian center with some restored structures and a very interesting program.....Along the coast, Jekyll Island if into the beach......St Simons for beach and history.....and of course if you can stop in Macon it is a 15 minute ride out to a friends place where you can run my M16 with a 5.56 upper or one of the many pistol caliber conversions I make.....45, 9mm, and 7.62 Tokarev to name a few...all I ask is you chip in for ammo......I'll supply the guns and place....If you ever decide to come.....email me through the site....I check it at leas every couple of hours during the day.
Rudy

It will be end of october time i think and i will pm you closer to the time, i shoot rimfires ( .177hmr and .22lr ) and shotguns in the uk but its nothing you guys can shoot over there. It would be good to meet up and if anyone comes to the uk i would repay the favour
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Too bad you can't make it the 2nd week in October....that is the Machinegun shoot and military gun show at Knob Creek Kentucky....I may shoot in the submachine gun championships.....but give me a shout.....Like I said...I have places to shoot minutes form the shop....we even have a small test range at the shop....but no 5.56 or tannerite there...LOL
View Quote

^ Knob Creek is awesome. It would be well worth your time if you could make it happen.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Try a few days in Charleston, South Carolina. You won't want to leave.

Here are a few other places where you would get to experience the "true" America:

Charlottesville, Virginia
Williamsburg, Virginia
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Frederick, Maryland
New Bern, North Carolina
Seattle, Washington
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Amarillo, Texas
New Iberia, Louisiana
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Here are a few other places where you would get to experience the "true" America:

Williamsburg, Virginia
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Frederick, Maryland
New Bern, North Carolina
Seattle, Washington
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Amarillo, Texas
New Iberia, Louisiana
View Quote

Are any the above within travelling distance from florida ? I dont know american geography sorry
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Too bad you can't make it the 2nd week in October....that is the Machinegun shoot and military gun show at Knob Creek Kentucky....I may shoot in the submachine gun championships.....but give me a shout.....Like I said...I have places to shoot minutes form the shop....we even have a small test range at the shop....but no 5.56 or tannerite there...LOL
View Quote

Think its going be the 22nd of oct when we are coming otherwise i would of added it to my to do list
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Are any the above within travelling distance from florida ? I dont know american geography sorry
Atb
Mart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Williamsburg, Virginia
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Frederick, Maryland
New Bern, North Carolina
Seattle, Washington
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Amarillo, Texas
New Iberia, Louisiana

Atb
Mart

Using Mapquest.com I got a travel time of over 17 hours if you are leaving from Miami, Florida and going to Gettysburg, PA.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/from/us/florida/miami-282040379/to/us/pennsylvania/gettysburg-282032286

This goes on the Supposition that you stay on I95 until you come near DC.
You can adjust your other destinations as you see fit.
Bring your GPS: You may need it.

By the way: I'm about an hour from Gettysburg, myself.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Using Mapquest.com I got a travel time of over 17 hours if you are leaving from Miami, Florida and going to Gettysburg, PA.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/from/us/florida/miami-282040379/to/us/pennsylvania/gettysburg-282032286

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Williamsburg, Virginia
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Frederick, Maryland
New Bern, North Carolina
Seattle, Washington
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Amarillo, Texas
New Iberia, Louisiana

Atb
Mart

Thats some serious driving.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Now you know why Bugs keeps getting lost after Albuquerque.

That's Two (2) Times Zones away from Florida.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart

Out of all the places you know, if you could spend 10 days driving/ shooting/ eating and just booking in motels as and when,
Where would you go ? Thinking of a road trip next year without the hassle of being tied to one state ( maybe a good one for gd )
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Out of all the places you know, if you could spend 10 days driving/ shooting/ eating and just booking in motels as and when,
Where would you go ? Thinking of a road trip next year without the hassle of being tied to one state ( maybe a good one for gd )
Atb
Mart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart

Atb
Mart

US is too big for a visitor to drive. You will end up missing something and should plan to see specific regions, at least 4 trips. Southeast, Midwest have the friendliest gun laws, best food, and warm climate. GA/Florida (excuse the carpet bagging Yankees in FL.....oh, and only people from the NE US are Yanks/Yankees. Don't ever call a southerner a Yankee!).

The big cities don't have many true/traditional Americans in them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart

Boise is in Idaho, so its a bit away from Florida
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

US is too big for a visitor to drive. You will end up missing something and should plan to see specific regions, at least 4 trips. Southeast, Midwest have the friendliest gun laws, best food, and warm climate. GA/Florida (excuse the carpet bagging Yankees in FL.....oh, and only people from the NE US are Yanks/Yankees. Don't ever call a southerner a Yankee!).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,
Atb
Mart

Atb
Mart

Just got back from 2 weeks in florida, did the theme parks except disney. Went shooting in titusville, flew aplane in merrit island ( for about 10 mins )  met a fellow shooter on here who hopefully will visit England so i can repay the favour.
Atb
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:13:32 AM EDT
[#50]
LOL. Not to mention the millions of Chinese and Japanese that visit San Francisco for a long weekend and then tell their friends they have visited the United States.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top