Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2014 8:54:58 PM EDT
Since I am strongly considering this, is there anything that you feel I should know about Scotland, or life in the UK?

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Since I am strongly considering this, is there anything that you feel I should know about Scotland, or life in the UK?
View Quote

That's a pretty open question.

I suppose it depends on what you are used to and what you expect from the UK.

It may be helpful if you have some specific questions that we can answer, and take it fro there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It may be helpful if you have some specific questions that we can answer, and take it fro there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am sorry.  It was a very open ended question.  The only experience that I have with the UK is the three layovers in Heathrow when I have traveled to and from South Africa and Uganda.

On the subject of what I expect from the UK, I am not really sure.  I lived in South Africa for two years, I imagine the UK to be like the nice parts of South Africa, except with weather that is not as nice.  I like meat pies.  

I am curious about attitudes towards Americans.  I like to think that I am not the cliche American that is annoying when out of the country.  

Lets go from there.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never lived in South Africa so I can't really comment, however I know people who have emigrated from South Africa to the Uk and they seem to like it here.

Liking meat pies is a start, but there is a much wider variety of food here than just the pies.  Scotland  does seem to have a penchant for putting everything in pies and frying food......so that might be quite interesting for you.

In terms of attitudes towards Americans, you will be fine.  If anything you will find people will go out of their way to be helpful and certainly friendly.

The weather will probably be the biggest shock to your system, but that said, if you are from Wisconsin I dare say you are no stranger to the cold.  

Aberdeen University will probably have a department that provides advice and assistance to overseas students and will be able to offer you information about the cost of living, the option you have in terms of accommodation, sporting facilities, and the other things you may wish to know about in your considerations.

This should be a good starting point for you:  http://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/international/
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've never lived in South Africa so I can't really comment, however I know people who have emigrated from South Africa to the Uk and they seem to like it here.

Liking meat pies is a start, but there is a much wider variety of food here than just the pies.  Scotland  does seem to have a penchant for putting everything in pies and frying food......so that might be quite interesting for you.

In terms of attitudes towards Americans, you will be fine.  If anything you will find people will go out of their way to be helpful and certainly friendly.

The weather will probably be the biggest shock to your system, but that said, if you are from Wisconsin I dare say you are no stranger to the cold.  

Aberdeen University will probably have a department that provides advice and assistance to overseas students and will be able to offer you information about the cost of living, the option you have in terms of accommodation, sporting facilities, and the other things you may wish to know about in your considerations.

This should be a good starting point for you:  http://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/international/
View Quote
One of the things in Wisconsin that is kind of a tradition is a Friday Night Fish Fry.  Battered and fried cod, perch, walleye and french fries.  

I have only started working on my application.  If I get in I would start in September.  I am also working on an application for the University of Glasgow.  

I am not a stranger to cold weather, I am fine with it.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One of the things in Wisconsin that is kind of a tradition is a Friday Night Fish Fry.  Battered and fried cod, perch, walleye and french fries.  

I have only started working on my application.  If I get in I would start in September.  I am also working on an application for the University of Glasgow.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you'll be headed for a home from home.  Fried food and freezing your tits off in the dark with a cloud base measured in inches above sea level could well be your thing

In terms of social contrast, Aberdeen is by far the most wealthy area of Scotland - a lot of the Oil and Gas Industry based in the North Sea work out of Aberdeen and the airport provides a base for the oil and gas industry workers, but by virtue Aberdeen can also be on the expensive side in terms of cost of living.

Glasgow, while having an impressive industrial heritage in Ship Building and other heavy industry has seen some hard times in recent decades, an while there have ben recent improvement with its City of Culture status, it remains one of the less wealthy areas of Scotland giving rise to a term called the "Glasgow Effect".

That should not discourage you from either possibility or favour one over the other as they both have their advantages and disadvantages like anywhere else.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:03:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I like to carry a pocket knife.  Would a Swiss Army knife or the Spyderco UK penknife be kosher?  

I already assume that it isn't something you would just whip out in public or polite company.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:56:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Non-locking folding blade, 3.5" or less.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like to carry a pocket knife.  Would a Swiss Army knife or the Spyderco UK penknife be kosher?  

I already assume that it isn't something you would just whip out in public or polite company.  
View Quote

As Icarus says above in terms of the legal requirements

The Spyderco UK should fit in that category.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Much like Wisconsin, there is a Pub/Bar on every corner.

ETA: I am living in the UK for the next few years and liking it.  It's taking longer to get settled than I previously imagined.  Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  Quite possibly once in a lifetime for many of us.  Being an American here is no big deal.  In any major city, they are everywhere.  Just don't be a loud, obnoxious one and you'll be fine.

Scotland is beautiful from the very limited perspective I've seen.  You will have no problem getting fish and chips on par with a sconnie fish fry.  Cold in the UK has nothing on cold in WI.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll also be applying to the University of Leeds and Glasgow.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Aberdeen is my home city. You won't have any problems assimilating into Aberdeen University. There is a strong American connection due to the oil and helicopter (Bell, Sikorsky) businesses, a lot of American companies have bases here. We have two American nationals in Aberdeen Full Bore Gun Club, if you are looking for some shooting during your time in the UK then drop a line.

Weather wise, the Eastern side of the UK is much drier, if a bit colder than the West where all the Atlantic rain falls. Very generally, things like eating out are more expensive in the UK and there is a lot less in the way of theme parks etc, shooting is much more restricted and also expensive,  but take us for what we are and you will be very welcome.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Aberdeen is my home city. You won't have any problems assimilating into Aberdeen University. There is a strong American connection due to the oil and helicopter (Bell, Sikorsky) businesses, a lot of American companies have bases here. We have two American nationals in Aberdeen Full Bore Gun Club, if you are looking for some shooting during your time in the UK then drop a line.

Weather wise, the Eastern side of the UK is much drier, if a bit colder than the West where all the Atlantic rain falls. Very generally, things like eating out are more expensive in the UK and there is a lot less in the way of theme parks etc, shooting is much more restricted and also expensive,  but take us for what we are and you will be very welcome.
View Quote
If I get into the University of Aberdeen I would love to go shoot.  

Less theme parks is fine by me.  I would rather go hike and take advantage of the UK and Europe for what they really are.  Places to explore.  

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Non-locking folding blade, 3.5" or less.
View Quote

Section 139 CJA Fail ! It's a cutting edge of 3" or less.

Scotland is a great place to live by the way. Once you get used to the locals.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Are you able to own locking pocket knives or multi-tools (own but never carry)?

I also see a lot of bushcrafting videos on YouTube where folks are tramping about with knives, axes, even shotguns. Is there a special permit for this, or are the rural laws simply more lax?

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#15]
My applications to the University of Glasgow and Leeds are done.  Aberdeen is next!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My applications to the University of Glasgow and Leeds are done.  Aberdeen is next!
View Quote

What made you choose those particular schools? I was recently watching a YouTube video on York and the university there. It looked rather nice. I believe York and Leeds are near one another.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What made you choose those particular schools? I was recently watching a YouTube video on York and the university there. It looked rather nice. I believe York and Leeds are near one another.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One of my former Professors received his PhD from the University of Aberdeen.  He talked it up so I decided to apply there.

A friend just returned from receiving his Masters at the University of Glasgow and he loved it, so I decided to apply there.

I decided to apply at the University of Leeds on a whim.  It turns out they have the Masters program that I like the most, conflict, development and security.

I am also applying to UWM and Marquette but I would rather go to Scotland.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I was accepted into the University of Aberdeen today!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Congratulations! I was looking at pictures of Aberdeen last night. It is lovely.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was accepted into the University of Aberdeen today!
View Quote

Congratulations.  No mean feat.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Congratulations! I was looking at pictures of Aberdeen last night. It is lovely.
View Quote

Well done that man! When  do you start?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Short story- September

Long story- I applied at six other schools in the US and UK.  I want to see what happens with those before I make any solid decisions.  Aberdeen is a close second though.    

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top