Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2014 7:31:03 AM EDT
If you have to travel to the New York area and want to experience hand gun shooting there is a large modern Gun Shop in Easton PA called Heritage Guild.
They rent hand guns and rifles by the hour.
Easton is about 90 miles from New York City.

If you want to try Fly Fishing here in the colony's A Pa Non Resident 3 day fishing lic is $27.60 dollars
The Little Lehigh in Allentown is a nice productive Trout stream and is only about 15 miles west of Easton Pa.

If you are going to Orlando Florida A Wild Boar hunt is a must do.
So you have taken the kids to the theme parks and need a break. 21/2 hours south of Orlando is an operation called Outwest Farms.
They have loaner Firearms for your use.
You go out on a swamp buggy and they release dogs to find the Boar. Intense and exciting.
The cost of the hunt is $175 dollars.

Non sporting Orlando information.
Harry Potter at Universal - Thanksgiving day is the least buisy day of the year. We went last year and waited on one line one time, after that it was simply walk on to the rides.
No shit just walk on, my daughter must have dragged me through  Hogwarts 12 times.
The chicken dinners at Harry potter are good and affordable. The Pot Pie is not as good as UK pot pies but OK according to my wife.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:03:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the info!  Unfortunately I just went to NY and FL last year without this information
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#2]
About the same distance from NYC is Classic Pistol in PA, one can rent pistols and even SMGs.  If you come to Washington DC there's a few rental ranges as well.  Ditto for Orlando, FL.  Actually, when I lived in Orlando I was regularly shooting alongside of tourists from the UK.  For anyone looking to visit the US, a post in the appropriate state forum would be a good idea.

I've actually just hunted at Outwest (just before Christmas).  OK for what it is though it's no Scotland.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Holler if you are coming to Middle Tennessee and I can probably set up some hunting and fishing or shooting for you depending on what seasons are open when you come.  More info on TN hunting herehttp://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife.html

Out of state license fees are as follows:

Junior Hunt/Fish (Type 070) $9.00 Required for nonresidents ages 13–15 to fish or hunt small game. A Type 085 or 086 is required to hunt big game.
7-Day Junior ALL Game (Type 085) $25.00
Junior ALL Game Annual (Type 086) $40.00

Adult Licenses
7-Day Hunt-Small Game/Waterfowl (Type 072) $50.50
Annual Hunt-Small Game/Waterfowl (Type 071) $91.00
7-Day All Game (Type 074) $175.50
Annual All Game (Type 073) $251.00
Annual Trapping (Type 120) $401.00

Mandatory
Hunter Education
All hunters, resident or nonresident, born
on or after Jan. 1, 1969, must possess proof
that they have successfully completed a
hunter education course. Those under 10
years of age do not need a Hunter Education
certificate, but must be accompanied
by an adult at least 21 years of age who
must remain in a position to take immediate
control of the hunting device. Call
your local TWRA office or visit the TWRA’s
website at www.tnwildlife.org for a listing
of scheduled Hunter Education classes.
If the hunter education class you take in England is approved by the International Hunter Education Association (IHEA)http://www.ihea.com/ You are ok here with proof of completing the class.

Apprentice Hunting License (Type 012) $11.00
This is a supplemental license in lieu of a hunter education certificate.
All other applicable licenses are required. This license is available to all
hunters 10 years of age or older who have not completed the mandatory
hunter education course. It exempts the hunter from the mandatory
hunter education law for one year from the date of purchase, but may
only be purchased once during the lifetime of the hunter. Hunters who
possess this license must be accompanied by an adult, 21 years of age or
older, who must meet the hunter education requirements and able to
take immediate control of the hunting device.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgot to mention above that I'm about an hour away from Nashville
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
. . .   If you come to Washington DC there's a few rental ranges as well.  . . .   For anyone looking to visit the US, a post in the appropriate state forum would be a good idea.

View Quote

Excellent advice, though here is a D.C.-specific tip: DON'T BOTHER POSTING IN THE DC HTF.  

Let me explain:  D.C. has just 600,000 residents and 80% of them are registered with a gun hating group; there are NO civilian ranges within the tiny bordered area of D.C. proper, and the ONLY "gun store" in D.C. does not sell guns nor accesories.  Rather, it is a single person with a  federal firearms license in a small office with in the police headquarters who is the sole source of actually obtaining any sort of gun after months of hassles and waiting.  

Lucky for the tourist though, there is a rich gun culture within a hour's drive of D.C. in Virginia and Maryland.    Post in the Virginia or possibly even the Maryland HTF for more specific info.  The opportunities include several rental-ranges featuring fully automatic and semi auto centerfire guns, plus several such ranges are rifle-capable (though shooting 7.62 at a maximum range of 25 meters is rather silly).

If you are an IPSC competitor, there are also matches nearly every weekend within a one or two hours drive.  You will need to borrow a handgun for the day, of course, though this is easily arranged; nearly everyone who shoot IPSC (USPSA over here) has several 9mm or better handguns and will happily take you to a shoot with them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#6]
If visiting NYC, a closer range to rent guns is Gun For Hire in Woodland Park NJ.  It is about a 30 minute drive west of the city.  My friend Anthony owns the place.  Unfortunaley only 15 round mags with the guns.
I am not sure of Arfcoms policies about posting phone numbers, so just google "Gun For Hire" Woodland Park (formerly West Paterson) NJ.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Gun For Hire is a great indoor pistol range and only 15mins from my home in the People's Republic of New Jersey. Laws sure are tough and stupid here (much like the people ). As a UK ex-Pat I'm happy to take any UK visitors there. Unless you have a car it would be semi-difficult to get to on public transport from the city. Also as a member I get to jump ahead of the lines which build up at the weekend . I've also got vouchers for free pistol rentals which I'll never use.  All I'd ask in return is a box of Kleenex Man Size Tissues as that is the only thing I miss from the UK, as US tissues are useless during allergy season.

Then another 45 mins into NJ there is Thunder Mountain www.thundermt.com which does Skeet and Trap shooting.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wish I'd known that in March this (and last!) year when I came to Nashville!  I will be back though so hope I can get in touch then
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#9]
If you visit Phoenix I highly recommend Scottsdale Gun Club, they do machine gun rentals as well as regular rifles and pistols. Very modern looking range and the staff were great. http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/

There is also Rio Salado which is a series of outdoor ranges I did not visit it myself. http://www.riosaladosportsmans.com/

Also if you are staying in the Gilbert/Chandler/Mesa area there is an indoor range that does handgun and rifle rentals called Caswells. http://www.caswells.com/
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wish I'd known that in March this (and last!) year when I came to Nashville!  I will be back though so hope I can get in touch then
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come on back. There is a good range in Murfreesboro with regular and full-auto rentals. Plus I have some neat toys as well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Come on back. There is a good range in Murfreesboro with regular and full-auto rentals. Plus I have some neat toys as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll definitely be back and if you are around may well take you up on the offer, thank you!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'll definitely be back and if you are around may well take you up on the offer, thank you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Took a Brit shooting in the US for the first time last week. He was stopping by to stay with some of my family he and his wife befriended on a cruise before heading to Disney. Loved seeing his reaction when I asked if he had seen the movie "Deliverance". He said yes and that's when I stated we were going to the same area to shoot. It's about an hour and a half drive north of Atlanta Ga.

We get to the range after picking him up and pull out an SLR. His eyes lit up as this was a pretty recognizable weapon and he had always wanted to shoot one. He finishes the day up with an UZI, AK47, AK74, MP5, a few different AR15/M4s, and finished up with a Glock 17. He left with a big smile on his face. It was cool seeing him have a blast.

He was a police dispatcher and I teased him about having more experience with weapons than many of the officers!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top