Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2013 1:39:43 AM EDT
I'm very exited to go however I have a few questions if you gentlemen could help me out. I've read the very informative resource at the top of the page and want to clarify some information. I want to take my shotgun but I it is a pump action with a 7 shell capacity and a 20" barrel. From what I understand, I can restrict the tube with a wooden dowel but am I out of luck regarding the barrel length? Also, I have a semi automatic 22lr rifle and as I understand I should be alright however I have always wanted a sound suppressor for it, exactly how hard is it to get one? Thank you in advance!!
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:06:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm very exited to go however I have a few questions if you gentlemen could help me out. I've read the very informative resource at the top of the page and want to clarify some information. I want to take my shotgun but I it is a pump action with a 7 shell capacity and a 20" barrel. From what I understand, I can restrict the tube with a wooden dowel but am I out of luck regarding the barrel length? Also, I have a semi automatic 22lr rifle and as I understand I should be alright however I have always wanted a sound suppressor for it, exactly how hard is it to get one? Thank you in advance!!

Where are you moving to?

Not sure about barrel length with shotguns, others will know better, but it looks like 24"barrel for pump action/autos.  You can have over 3 shell capacity, but it is treated as a firearm rather than a shotgun (which doesn't matter to you if you are getting a Firearms License for a 22).

Suppressors - easy.  When you apply for a FAC, you list what firearms you wish to acquire, including suppressors/moderators, and *most* police forces will not see a problem with it.  We are a small island with lots of people living here, so reducing the noise of firearms is seen as a good thing on the whole.

Personally I would leave your guns in the States, as the process to get a FAC will take at least 6 months, first you have to find a club to join if Target shooting is your reason for a firearm, you would have to have them stored with a firearms dealer, and it will just be a PITA.

One requirement for applying for a FAC, is 2 residents here has to have known you for at least 2 years for character references.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
First and foremost, thank you for your help. It seems I'm out of luck with the shotgun however I'd still like to have a .22 at the very least(I'm already leaving my ARs AK and GARAND ). I'm going to RAF Mildenhall so I suppose I'll be living in one of the villages surrounding it. I've been deployed to Afghanistan, Korea, and Greece but this is the first time I will get to experience a new culture with my wife and daughter at my side and we are very exited!
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Always happy to welcome visitors from the US to the UK! I'm sure you'll like the UK

Once you over and settled regarding your FAC, you'll have to come to a civilian service rifle match!
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the responses and warm welcome. Is there any way I can bring a BB/pellet gun with me, provided it's under the power requirement? (I know I'm grasping at straws but I don't want to get rusty while I'm overseas)
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I would buy a pellet gun here and sell it when you go back, it will be easier.

Simpsons of Newmarket (where I get most of my stuff from) is a good shop not far from Mildenhall, or the Country Store at Sawston.

There is a good clay shooting ground right opposite the gates of RAF Lakenheath

Enjoy your stay, and drive carefully
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Correct on the barrel length, MUST be minimum of 24"
As to the magazine restriction, WRONG I'm afraid....the wood dowel "fix" may be good to go to satisfy game laws and the like in the US, but ANY standard shotgun will require PERMANENT restriction of the magzine tube & proof house certification & marking as such to comply with 2-rd max. capacity. More than 2 shot tube = firearms certificate required
Ridiculous laws here....for the most part

You will be able to find .22 sound moderators for about $20-$30, used
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's not really practical, because you haven't got a firearm or shotgun certificate, you'd have to get them first before you could even think about importing them.  It is legal to lengthen the barrel of a pump-action shotgun, most people think it isn't but the downconversion prohibition doesn't apply to lengthening a shotgun barrel (section 7 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988).  However the magazine must be permanently altered and inspected by a Proof House, which would be tricky to do, I wouldn't bother.  Just buy replacements in the UK.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
One more question gentlemen. What's the story on owning body armor(or I suppose armour)? Specifically something like this

http://www.botachtactical.com/unspleiistal.html
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Not for England but I have some kevlar panels and a helmet and I'd like to take them instead of trying to shove them in the gunsafe before I leave the US.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not for England but I have some kevlar panels and a helmet and I'd like to take them instead of trying to shove them in the gunsafe before I leave the US.
View Quote

No legal restriction on body armour in the UK to my knowledge.

Might be some ITAR issues possibly, though you're not technically exporting it to a foreign person. In fact you may not be technically exporting it at all as it remains your personal possession, though that would be a matter of US law not UK law. Might want to find out before you try to leave the US with it

Link Posted: 8/1/2013 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone can have body armour over here..http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2567549/Harrods-sells-designer-bulletproof-fashion.html.....but as someone who spent 12 hours in it today in temperatures topping 30 degrees I wouldn't recommend it...
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 1:30:21 AM EDT
[#14]
You might have more problems getting it back into the US!
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would buy a pellet gun here and sell it when you go back, it will be easier.

Simpsons of Newmarket (where I get most of my stuff from) is a good shop not far from Mildenhall, or the Country Store at Sawston.

There is a good clay shooting ground right opposite the gates of RAF Lakenheath

Enjoy your stay, and drive carefully
View Quote

Alright gents, I know I have already been advised on buying a pellet rifle when I get there but will I be able to find  one of these...

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pump/30110

And if so, do any of you know of any English websites on which I can start comparing prices while I'm trapped with-err I mean visiting my in-laws
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Not sure about that particular air rifle but found the Crossman M4-177 at Drapers Airgun Centre if that's any help.
The problem with the one you linked is that is seems to be fairly 'high power' (over  12lbs/ft)

Also look on guntrader.co.uk and gunstar.co.uk
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Well gents, we made it here safe and sound. We've been here a week and thus far I've seen Cambridge and eaten about 3 pounds of Cadbury. I love it here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Welcome. I hope the weather is being kind to you......
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hardly been a good indictment over the last three weeks..... it will get better...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome. I hope the weather is being kind to you......

Hardly been a good indictment over the last three weeks..... it will get better...

To tell you the truth it has been beautiful since we've arrived just a few cold spells here and there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Remember the local pub should be your local Pub, and the UK is small enough that there is no excuse for not seeing as much of it as you want.

and above all Drink Cider lots of Cider!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
but as someone who spent 12 hours in it today in temperatures topping 30 degrees I wouldn't recommend it...
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Welcome and glad you've all enjoyed the chocolate (I assume you actually went to Cadbury world?)
Now sort yourself out with an NRA affiliated club and you can try and get a pass for some shooting fun
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why you would need it is beyond me?  . Are you planning something(be prepared to answer this at Customs ifvthey spot the,
m)..Lol

If its for self protection, then you're either moving into a house on a field firing range, or...

You've heard that England is a dangerous place.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One more question gentlemen. What's the story on owning body armor(or I suppose armour)? Specifically something like this

Why you would need it is beyond me?  . Are you planning something(be prepared to answer this at Customs ifvthey spot the,
m)..Lol

If its for self protection, then you're either moving into a house on a field firing range, or...

I do not think that England is a dangerous place - and I am an American.  

As for Americans who think England is dangerous, I'd guess they've heard reports (from the NRA among others) that there are criminal acts of violence in England.  Some of these acts even involve handguns although handguns are banned and even police rarely carry them.

However, inner-city violent crime in England is nothing compared to many places in the U.S.  There is a much higher rate of violent crime in U.S. cities.

I've lived and/or worked in Detroit, D.C., Baltimore, Eugene and San Francisco.  I've followed violent crime in these cities and read about it (i.e. from actual police reports) in many others.  Compared with England, our cities are war-zones.  There is a good reason we often carry concealed handguns (where lawful) in the U.S.  And there are a predicted 100,000 to 2.3 million "defensive gun uses" in the U.S. every year - most not resulting in fatalities.

And yes - I am aware of the incident involving the terrorist murder of a U.K. service member taped and posted all over social media - that was an aberation and isolated. It could have happened anywhere.

However, property crime in parts of U.K. cities is rampant.  I am speaking specifically of thefts from cars, burglary of homes, and other forms of theft.  If one is careful and smart about not leaving valuables in the car / visible through windows, I would not worry much about crime over there.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As for Americans who think England is dangerous, I'd guess they've heard reports (from the NRA among others) that there are criminal acts of violence in England.  Some of these acts even involve handguns although handguns are banned and even police rarely carry them.

However, inner-city violent crime in England is nothing compared to many places in the U.S.  There is a much higher rate of violent crime in U.S. cities.

I've lived and/or worked in Detroit, D.C., Baltimore, Eugene and San Francisco.  I've followed violent crime in these cities and read about it (i.e. from actual police reports) in many others.  Compared with England, our cities are war-zones.  There is a good reason we often carry concealed handguns (where lawful) in the U.S.  And there are a predicted 100,000 to 2.3 million "defensive gun uses" in the U.S. every year - most not resulting in fatalities.

And yes - I am aware of the incident involving the terrorist murder of a U.K. service member taped and posted all over social media - that was an aberation and isolated. It could have happened anywhere.

However, property crime in parts of U.K. cities is rampant.  I am speaking specifically of thefts from cars, burglary of homes, and other forms of theft.  If one is careful and smart about not leaving valuables in the car / visible through windows, I would not worry much about crime over there.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

m)..Lol

Nope, as I've said before I'm not in fear of violent crime here I wasjust wondering if I could store kit in my house without breaking any laws. It's a moot point as I've left the rifle plates stuffed in a safe in Texas.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Welcome and glad you've all enjoyed the chocolate (I assume you actually went to Cadbury world?)
Now sort yourself out with an NRA affiliated club and you can try and get a pass for some shooting fun
View Quote

I've not been to Cadbury world just yet but it's on the list. The shooting sounds fun I hope I can find a club nearby that'll let me have a go.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Remember the local pub should be your local Pub, and the UK is small enough that there is no excuse for not seeing as much of it as you want.

and above all Drink Cider lots of Cider!!!!!
View Quote

The cider is dangerous, if not deadly. I pride myself on my tolerance, but the cider is liquid Novocain.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Good old West Country Scrumpy LOL!!!  (3rd Gen. Eng Am with family from Somerset, never had any Cider, but heard the Wurzels sing all about it LOL).
Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top