Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2015 7:09:43 AM EDT
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/14/mythbusting-israel-and-switzerland-are-not-gun-toting-utopias/

This article states that you must have permission to own a firearm.

It also states that gun control is being imposed Canton by Canton.

I would like your perspective as to the validity of it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding of current Swiss law is that:
- you do not need to show proof of "need" (like in most other Western countries): you don't have to be a hunter, or a member of a target shooting club to buy a gun
- you do need a buying permit to buy up to three firearms (handguns, semi-auto rifles, ...) from the local cops, from a single seller (private seller or a professional/licensed dealer). Guns have to be registered once purchased (seller does the registration)
- some guns a exempt from the permit requirement (some bolt action guns, don't know whether there's a caliber limit) but still have to be registered
- during military service (which spans over 6-7 years, three weeks a year IIRC), people can still keep their service (full auto) rifle at home, although I think the military doesn't provide ammunition anymore
- most of current firearms laws stem from the Federal level although some have been known to go rogue: require one permit per gun instead of issuing a single permit from three guns as requested (keep in mind that 1 permit = 50 CHF fee). But this was just blatant non-compliance with Federal law rather than real Canton-level legislation.

Private transactions were exempt from the permit requirement and registration until 2008 I think.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#2]
It's false.

You do not need permission to own anything. P

Since 2009 you need to get a purchase permit (which is basically a background check) to obtain a firearm, either from a gunshop or second hand (before 2009 it wasn't needed if you bought it from a third party)

To own a firearm is a right, and to deny the purchase permit the canton police must have a felony record or some medical record that show you are dangerous for you or others.

It happens that some canton police have denied purchase permits for things like speeding tickets, or such, but they have had their pee pee slapped by judges.

Certain canton police are bothering people more than others. But long story short, they all have to comply with federal law, and if they don't they get sued, and lose.

Other CESM infos are correct
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
So you are only allowed to own 3 guns in switzerland?
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you are only allowed to own 3 guns in switzerland?
View Quote

No.

It's just that you need to get a permit to buy guns (handguns, semi-auto rifles; there's a waiver for some bolt actions guns). And each permit allows you to buy 3 guns from the same seller - be it a licensed/professional dealer or just an individual.

You can see this as a background check/form 4473 which is good for three guns at a time. Want more than three guns or buy them from two different sellers : you just need multiple permits (each one costing 50CHF).

There's no limit to the number of firearms or amount of ammunition you can own in Switzerland.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#5]
excellent explanation CESM.

Do you frequent a swiss forum too ?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Feulibre of course, mon cher.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#7]
deja vu feeling
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Shung, what are the rules with full-autos again?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll try and summon the Shung through the Swiss forum.

In the mean time, from what I remember:

Full auto, grenade launchers, suppressors, weapon-mounted lasers and (I think) weapon-mounted NVGs require special permits.

Unlike regular guns, you need to show "proof of need" to get such a permit:
- you're collecting guns (and you have to convince them you're building a somewhat coherent collection)
- you need them because of your job (I don't know whether private security is "good enough" to get full auto guns ...)
- you need them because you're a manufacturer (which probably requires a license on its own)

I assume most individual have full autos under the guise of "firearms collection" (like C&R).

I think those permits are "may issue" and take a few months to clear.

From what I understand, actually taking a full auto gun to the range is a pain in the ass:
- you need to get a permit that's only valid for a single day (which you must specify when applying for the permit)
- you can only use your gun in designated ranges (not any range)
- you can't let anyone else shoot your gun; permit is for you only (don't know whether you can get extra permits to let third parties shoot your gun)

Essentially you've got a nice safe queen. And yes contrary to regular guns, you need to store at least one component (typically the bolt) in a safe to disable them.

You can have full auto guns in Luxembourg and Belgium also under a "gun collector" scheme. But there are also stringent restrictions on taking them to the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top